Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Future Stadium Plans: Chiefs and Royals

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 pm City issued bonds that the city doesn’t back is a new one for me. Sure those would get priced well.

“Even we think this will fail!”
The city didn't back the Waddel and Reed building financially and they own it and issued the bonds for it.

The payment was legally setup originally 100% to come from the payroll taxes generated by the project
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am
On Gamedays you could limit traffic to main. Streetcar, peds and bikes only. Run double amount of trains.
You forgot to count the number of trains.

There's two spares today. The plan is to buy six more for UMKC. To double the number running the system would need to keep 10 spares on hand and would require buying not six but 14 trains.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I feel like as soon as they announce definitely where they are going, then something things will start up with the east village. That’s what I’m most excited for, I wish they weren’t just waiting around hoping for the royals to go there
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:25 pm I don't think the stadium will be owned by the city. Tax revenues from a surrounding redevelopment district will pay for the stadium debt issuance.

We clearly do not sell enough seats reguarly to really need a 35,000 seat stadium. Not as bad as Tampa Bay or Miami but we are one of the worst in attendence.
Who would own the stadium them. Serious, who will own it. If being built by tax money via public bonds it will be owned by some public entity especially when talking about that kind of money in this market. And tax revenue from a surrounding redevelopment district that is a laugh. P&L District can't even generate enough revenue to pay for the bonds used to build that area and those bonds didn't need a public vote. You will likely need
$70M to $80 a year in tax revenue to make the bond payments. And that redevelopment would be taking place years after a stadium is built so those bond payments would need some sort of public assistance in the meantime.
Again were is the serious proposal to fund a downtown stadium. That needs to be found first before a site is selected.
There has already been hundreds of thousands spent behind the scenes by a group working on a downtown stadium. They’re not going to release a plan or site location until it’s a nice and neat package.

Like all stadiums it will be a public-private partnership but the ownership group will technically own it and operate it. The less city involvement the better.

Hopefully, they don’t overestimate the tax revenue this time.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

As for the city getting its cut back if they help fund it. They should simply build a fee into the ticket structure. Let’s say a flat $3 for any and all ticketed events at the new stadium. That’s 4.5 million a year based off 2019 baseball attendance. Toss in 4 non-baseball events and you could generate another 500k. All this in addition to the tax revenue generated.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 am
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am
On Gamedays you could limit traffic to main. Streetcar, peds and bikes only. Run double amount of trains.
You forgot to count the number of trains.

There's two spares today. The plan is to buy six more for UMKC. To double the number running the system would need to keep 10 spares on hand and would require buying not six but 14 trains.
I think they bought options for 10 additional vehicles
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:59 am I feel like as soon as they announce definitely where they are going, then something things will start up with the east village. That’s what I’m most excited for, I wish they weren’t just waiting around hoping for the royals to go there
What if they choose East Village as their stadium location?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Then people will start to develop around their plans. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not people are holding onto lots that wouldn’t even be part of the stadium plans
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is no reason that development can't start now on the parcels in the northern part of the East Village north of 10th Street -- starting with renovating the Blackstone Hotel. Financing is cheap now, and that building is in an opportunity zone, as are all the parcels in the East Village. Now is the time for the City to straighten Holmes from 8th to 9th to optimize development of the block the Blackstone Hotel is on.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1401+ ... 94.5735256
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:09 pm There is no reason that development can't start now on the parcels in the northern part of the East Village north of 10th Street -- starting with renovating the Blackstone Hotel. Financing is cheap now, and that building is in an opportunity zone, as are all the parcels in the East Village. Now is the time for the City to straighten Holmes from 8th to 9th to optimize development of the block the Blackstone Hotel is on.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1401+ ... 94.5735256
I totally agree I wish it would just start already. I think they are just holding out for something to be announced. Not many developers in this city have foresight to start the ball rolling
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:42 pm Then people will start to develop around their plans. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not people are holding onto lots that wouldn’t even be part of the stadium plans
What development around the stadium do people want? I don't think it needs many bars/restaurants considering there would be an entire entertainment district within walking distance. Residential and office make sense, but retail doesn't add up unless it's game day focused.

Basically, a new downtown stadium should only support all the investment already spent downtown, not hurt any of it.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:02 pm
Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:42 pm Then people will start to develop around their plans. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not people are holding onto lots that wouldn’t even be part of the stadium plans
What development around the stadium do people want? I don't think it needs many bars/restaurants considering there would be an entire entertainment district within walking distance. Residential and office make sense, but retail doesn't add up unless it's game day focused.

Basically, a new downtown stadium should only support all the investment already spent downtown, not hurt any of it.
Game day retail, hostel, would like to see cafes. Large grocery store/target, and maybe but mostly lots and lots of residential. Ideally I’d like to see it even cross into Paseo heights a bit
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I think ideally something like this design done by UC Berkeley for the east village https://uli.secure-platform.com/a/galle ... tails/3283
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Lots of residential and retail. A stadium should be part of the fabric of a neighborhood like the East Village, but not all encompassing the ENTIRE neighborhood. We already have P&L, no need to duplicate that again.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO, thinking of the future, since the City and VanTrust will control the East Village parcels, isn't now the time to set up a transportation funding district overlay and get it approved for a streetcar extension through the East Village at least to Charlotte?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:40 pm DaveKCMO, thinking of the future, since the City and VanTrust will control the East Village parcels, isn't now the time to set up a transportation funding district overlay and get it approved for a streetcar extension through the East Village at least to Charlotte?
If they do an extension they should really have long term plans on how to take it further east
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:44 am
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 pm City issued bonds that the city doesn’t back is a new one for me. Sure those would get priced well.

“Even we think this will fail!”
The city didn't back the Waddel and Reed building financially and they own it and issued the bonds for it.

The payment was legally setup originally 100% to come from the payroll taxes generated by the project
If the Royals will back the bonds, this isn’t an issue. The whole question we’re all asking is what are they backed by?

The city can’t just issue surprise bonds backed by nothing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:02 pm

I agree there shouldn't be a lot of duplication. I don't think it's fair to not allow a few neighborhood restaurants spread around (poke bowl, Italian, Indian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Eastern European, Greek), a couple of coffee shops (Dunkin' Donuts, local one), a neighborhood pub--just not a complete connected entertainment district. I think most of the retail should be services: daycare, hair and nail salons/spa, pet grooming/boarding, gyms, a small grocery, medical offices, optical shop, florist, dry cleaner, bakery, liquor store, phone store, marijuana shop, Mailboxes Plus/UPS store, convenience store, mini-Staples/Office Depot, maybe financial services like a bank, credit union, tax preparation, and an investment office like Edward Jones or something similar.

I have no objection to a Target in the East Village. I prefer one on a streetcar line though.

The Blackstone Hotel, on the NE corner of 9th and Cherry, would probably be a good building for a small hostel. There's a couple of old retail stalls in that building as well that could be rented out to places needing cheap rent, but that would add some flavor to the neighborhood like a psychic, tattoo place, tailor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:45 pm
FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:40 pm DaveKCMO, thinking of the future, since the City and VanTrust will control the East Village parcels, isn't now the time to set up a transportation funding district overlay and get it approved for a streetcar extension through the East Village at least to Charlotte?
If they do an extension they should really have long term plans on how to take it further east
Of course it should be extended eventually. Right now though, the City and Van Trust will soon control most of the parcels in the East Village, so it would probably be easier to get a transportation tax district set up since there wouldn't be a lot of property owners and residents opposed to it. Once it's approved, and the EV fills in, then move to extend it east to Paseo West neighborhood.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Fully agreed with everyone here. They need to go hard on getting real street-level retail and nifty restaurants like mentioned above. P&L is great for that little strip there of retail but outside of that one little strip in we don't really have any streets in the loop where you can just walk and get a plethora of options to eat and/or shop. This would be a great opportunity to do it.

And then behind the outfield wall it would be great to drop some great towers as close to like what Petco Park in San Diego has as we can: https://www.google.com/search?q=petco+p ... 40&bih=710

Hot take: my great hope for an east village stadium is that it puts alot of upward pressure overtime to sack the east loop, or tunnel it or something.