Kansas City NHL Articles

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Kansas City NHL Articles

Post by Ez Street »

Well, if I want to read into things like what Faber has said..........

I thought I remember that the Preds have a lease buyout besides the one coming up at the end of next season. It was something like $10 million or so to get out of thier lease. If they wait another year it's free of course. But they stand to maybe lose about the same amount.

I shall research this.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I truely miss kchockeybuzz.blogspot.com. I remember ready about the Preds last year on there. This is what I found.....

Predators could break lease for $30M
Sunday, June 18, 2006

If the Nashville Predators decide to break their lease at the Gaylord Entertainment Center, they will owe the city $28M.

Honestly, $28M doesn't seem like the much considering how much money professional sports franchises earn (and spend). If the Preds decide to leave Nashville and sign a 25-year lease somewhere else, they only need to make an extra $2.1M per year over the course of the lease (assuming 5% interest) to pay off the $28M.

Doesn't seem like much of a penalty.

However, according to the Tennessean, if the city is found at fault, for not properly upgrading the facility, the Preds could get out of the lease for a whopping $0M.
$28 million on line in Preds feud

One Councilwoman, Brenda Gilmore, fears the Predators may leave

"My fear is we will invest almost $8 million to make improvements, and they will pack up and leave Nashville," she said. "There doesn't seem to be a lot of loyalty there. And taxpayers again will be left holding the bag."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 6606180378
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/31/biz ... 10472.html

Preds are worth $134 Million according to Forbes. Add $30 Million to that for the buyout, you get $164 Million for a team ready to contend for the cup. About $36 million less than they might have paid for the Penguins.

Hmmmmmm.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnis ... stein.html
Last edited by Ez Street on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Ez Street wrote: However, according to the Tennessean, if the city is found at fault, for not properly upgrading the facility, the Preds could get out of the lease for a whopping $0M.
$28 million on line in Preds feud

One Councilwoman, Brenda Gilmore, fears the Predators may leave

"My fear is we will invest almost $8 million to make improvements, and they will pack up and leave Nashville," she said. "There doesn't seem to be a lot of loyalty there. And taxpayers again will be left holding the bag."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 6606180378
Interesting.  Sounds like the option the Chiefs and Royals had with TSC.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Interesting.  Sounds like the option the Chiefs and Royals had have with new TSC.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

They are not leaving since we are updating.
:D
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

mRoyal wrote: Take this for what it's worth (which is probably nothing):

A poster on Phog.net said he hit golf balls with the Pens team doctor today.  The doc said that it's a done deal; the Pens are coming to KC.  Expect an announcement tonight or tomorrow.
Is the team doc still employed?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Saw an article about how the NHL Board of Govenors is already tired a Balsillie's act.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's either rejected or pulls his offer (like he did with Pittsburgh).

Then Boots can make an offer and move them (Predators) here.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Ez Street wrote: Saw an article about how the NHL Board of Govenors is already tired a Balsillie's act.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's either rejected or pulls his offer (like he did with Pittsburgh).

Then Boots can make an offer and move them (Predators) here.

Not sure I follow.....why would the NHL care if the team moved to Hamilton or KC? 

And I'm sure Balsillie isn't the only owner (or potential owner) the league's management dislikes.

HockeyPunkKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by HockeyPunkKC »

the reason the board cares about a possible move to hamilton is because of its proximity to buffalo and toronto.  i know people up there love hockey, but it still is an issue having that many teams that close.  not to mention the complaints they will hear from the sabers and leafs.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The issue with NHL in Canada has never been fan support.  The issue has always been corporate dollars and media dollars.  I am certain that they are concerned about further erroding the dollars in Buffalo and Toronto.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

From ESPN.com Page 2's weekly sports news quiz:

4. The Sports Business Journal reported that the NHL is considering:
(a) Adding two more teams, one in Las Vegas and the other in Kansas City
(b) Adding 20 more teams, one of them in Honolulu, another in Mexico City, the better to keep this Ponzi scheme going
(c) Calling a toll-free number to hear Donald Trump's personal wealth-building secrets, which are so effective that he wants to share them for free
(d) Giving its bank account information to the Hon.
Mr. Dr. Clemet Okon, who promises to complete the 100-percent safe transaction of US $21,300,000 presently trapped in Nigeria

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: