KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by KCMax »

Its been 30 years since KC was leveled with a nuclear weapon in the movie "The Day After."

KC Meesha: Kansas City: Still Here 30 Years After
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Love that movie...think I just love the genre as sick as that sounds.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

"The new movie, Looper, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, and Jeff Daniels is partially set in a futuristic, dystopian Kansas City."

Unfortunately, it is a rather generic "sci-fi big city of the future". Could have been Chicago or anywhere. They didn't bother with any recognizable landmarks (which I'm certain will still be here 30 years from now).
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Like I said, I don't see anything that says "KC" in that shot from the movie. But very good CGI.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

voltopt wrote:Image

If some dumbass thinks KC is a dusty prairie town based on some western they saw years ago maybe there are more dumbasses who see the skyline in Looper and think that's the way it really is now :)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mistervinix wrote:Like I said, I don't see anything that says "KC" in that shot from the movie. But very good CGI.
Does the movie say if we ever got a downtown stadium?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chaglang wrote:
mistervinix wrote:Like I said, I don't see anything that says "KC" in that shot from the movie. But very good CGI.
lol!

More questions:
How many miles of streetcar track actually get installed in the future?
Does anyone still live in Johnson County after the crazies in state office finish ruining kansas?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

They probably got one aspect correct: crime seems to be far, far worse in KC 30 years from now. We've got a good start now with the homicide rate this year.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:
This, made my Friday.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:
=D>
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The main character does briefly catch the 2042 World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the Tokyo Marlins.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCMax wrote:The main character does briefly catch the 2042 World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the Tokyo Marlins.
For real? I missed that scene.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote:The main character does briefly catch the 2042 World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the Tokyo Marlins.
Damn. Thought Trey Hillman, Jr.'s Nippon Ham Fighters would get back to the series.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

In the 80s teen movie "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," a finalist in the big dance contest is a duo called Mirror Image, said to be from Kansas City. As my wife remarked, it would seem that Mirror Image may have been the inspiration for Janelle Monae's style. :lol: see the below video starting at 0:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xguY6Q360
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:
For real? I missed that scene.
Oh, I was thinking of Back to the Future II.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

I tried to search to see if this has been discussed and couldn't find mention, so sorry if it's been discussed. There's an ABC Family show that's set in the KC area called Switched at Birth. The plot is a bit dopey, but they do a pretty decent job being accurate with the names of locations. It's obviously not filmed here, but someone has done a decent amount of homework.

Show/plot wise, it doesn't completely suck. It's got your standard rich family, poor family, and angsty teens, but it does have a twist in the fact that one of the angsty teens is deaf.

Has anyone else watched it?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Here is what the wiki page says about switched at birth setting

The show is set in Kansas City, Missouri, although the show is filmed in Los Angeles, California. The Kennish family lives in Mission Hills, a suburb of Kansas City, and before moving into the Kennishes' guest home, the Vasquez family lived Riverside, Missouri. The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art and Loose Park are both located in Kansas City.[16] In addition, establishing shots used in several episodes feature video of downtown Kansas City, including a shot of Liberty Memorial in the first episode. Some scenes are also filmed in Santa Clarita, California.

Numerous references throughout the series are made to the fact that John Kennish played for the Kansas City Royals baseball team. There is no history of anyone with that name playing for the Royals.

Vehicles driven by members of the Kennish family bear Kansas license plates, but they appear to be the 2010 "America's Heartland" base used only for personalized license plates instead of the 2008 "Ad Aspera/State Seal" base used for standard issue license plates. In season 1, episode 5 a close up of John Kennish's license plate is clearly visible, showing a Kansas plate, but the county sticker in the upper-left corner says "SN", which stands for Shawnee County, Kansas, the county in which the state capital Topeka is located, rather than "JO" for Johnson County, Kansas, where Mission Hills is located.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ESPN 30 for 30 "There's No Place Like Home" about the attempts by KU to get the original rules of basketball.

https://vimeo.com/47737324

To be honest, it looks like one of the weaker efforts by 30 for 30. But I will like it because its about KU.

Airs Tuesday October 16.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mistervinix wrote:"The new movie, Looper, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, and Jeff Daniels is partially set in a futuristic, dystopian Kansas City."

Unfortunately, it is a rather generic "sci-fi big city of the future". Could have been Chicago or anywhere. They didn't bother with any recognizable landmarks (which I'm certain will still be here 30 years from now).
Well it does show a field stated as in KS and then shows that skyline in distance, so could be KC or Wichita or even Topeka, but not just anywhere. The Royals reference (I missed it) apparently implies KC, though it will surprise me if pro baseball survives a few more decades.

BTW, I liked the movie but (major spoilers) was turned off by the over top Rambo scene when Willis takes out the gat men. Kind of cheapened an otherwise cerebral movie with humanist moral ending, though still not on par with Memento as some compare it to. Not sure how some would think the boy was protagonist, clearly he couldn't be. Would have found ending more satisfying if showing the rainmaker turned to be a positive force in future instead of open ended as it would disclose the 'sacrifice' was worth it. Sorry for thread tangent.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.