Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

To me, "when" is like saying "Wendy" or "went", "win" is like "window" or "Winnie". Although, maybe those all sound the same too.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

From the City Market Mgt:

We want your feedback! Please let us know your opinions about the City Market by filling out the survey available at this link. Thanks!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GLDvEa ... =send_form
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote:To me, "when" is like saying "Wendy" or "went", "win" is like "window" or "Winnie". Although, maybe those all sound the same too.
Those all sound the same to me. Go figure.
mykn

Post by mykn »

smh wrote:
mykn wrote:To me, "when" is like saying "Wendy" or "went", "win" is like "window" or "Winnie". Although, maybe those all sound the same too.
That's it, I'm coming up the elevator!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote:
smh wrote:
That's it, I'm coming up the elevator!
8-[
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Italian cookie & pastry shop coming to the River Market
Now sisters Vicki and Carol LaBruzzo will bring back some family favorites — including Italian cookies, pastries, and bread — in a new River Market venue, LaBruzzo’s Sweet Oven.

They are taking 1,500 square feet of the former Hickok’s Bar & Grill at 528 Walnut St. and hope to open the bakery before Halloween.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote:Italian cookie & pastry shop coming to the River Market
Now sisters Vicki and Carol LaBruzzo will bring back some family favorites — including Italian cookies, pastries, and bread — in a new River Market venue, LaBruzzo’s Sweet Oven.

They are taking 1,500 square feet of the former Hickok’s Bar & Grill at 528 Walnut St. and hope to open the bakery before Halloween.
Bummed this isn't going to be the Italian place that was originally planned.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

That Italian place is still happening, and very close nearby.
mykn

Post by mykn »

ColumbusParkian wrote:That Italian place is still happening, and very close nearby.
First I've heard of it. Any more info?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMax wrote:Italian cookie & pastry shop coming to the River Market

Glad they're splitting up that spot. Seemed like it was way too big for a non-regional destination restaurant to be able to pay rent for long
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ColumbusParkian wrote:That Italian place is still happening, and very close nearby.
Glad to hear.
KCTonicClassic
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCTonicClassic »

Last night's Crawfish Fest was a huge success. Likely too much of a success for the organizers as the lines for food & drink were ridiculous (which they acknowledged before headliner took the stage). What suggestions would you all make for future events to keep the City Market a viable event location that won't turn people off from coming in the future?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

only invite back events that fill out incident reports with event numbers, number of booths, how much food they sold, number of restrooms and average line length checked regularly, etc

use these details, shared with future event organizers, when approving events. only approve ones that have any plans to handle the expected crowds

it becomes data driven decision making.

2. set expected minimums. like provide a cleaning crew or pay a fee, a minimum number of restrooms, that kind of thing
or else they'll be required to have a maximum number of tickets to get into the event set based on an analysis of what they're planning to provide

the plaza art fair, for example, has a size problem. it's a great event that needs to be spread out more. imagine what would happen if a fire were to break out, eath from the crowd movement is a strong possibility.

that's the kind of thing you need to think about urban, scale requires size in both planning and physical area
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Eh, I talked with probably 10 people who were all at the Crawfish Festival, and literally all of them had a miserable time. Bummer.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Don't worry, the people who run the City Market have that data, or most of it. The problem is no one can accurately project what the crowd size will be. Have worked events and the expected crowd is 5,000 and 10,000 show up. And have worked events and the opposite happened. Especially with events that happen outdoors - so much depends on the weather.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Likely too much of a success for the organizers as the lines for food & drink were ridiculous (which they acknowledged before headliner took the stage).
This is becoming familiar at events in KC. Boulevardia, Food Truck Friday at the Star, etc.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:
Likely too much of a success for the organizers as the lines for food & drink were ridiculous (which they acknowledged before headliner took the stage).
This is becoming familiar at events in KC. Boulevardia, Food Truck Friday at the Star, etc.
Amen.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

rxlexi wrote:
Would you rather go to an event where there are little to no lines? That is not well attended. Boulevardia is a good example. First time event, no idea of what kind of crowd to expect.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
rxlexi wrote:
Would you rather go to an event where there are little to no lines? That is not well attended.
Good to know those are our only two options.