Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by AllThingsKC »

shinatoo wrote: So KU will remain in 1st place based on division record.

MU in 2nd and OU 3rd.
So, #9 KU loses to a 2-12 Tech team by 19 points?  L :lol: L
KC is the way to be!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

woops. For some reason I had MU at 2 losses. MU and OU both have three and KU only two. Me no talk, make brain hurt.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, #9 KU loses to a 2-12 Tech team by 19 points?  L :lol: L
And we still clinched a share of the Big 12 title.  L  :lol: L
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

shinatoo wrote: So KU will remain in 1st place based on division record.

No.  Based on overall record.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote: And we still clinched a share of the Big 12 title.  L  :lol: L
#9 KU LOST TO TEXAS TECH.  'nuff said.  How can any KU fans look at that game and not have fear about what will happen in the tourney?
I would expect KU to bounce back from this loss.  But, I'm still scratching my head over what to expect from this KU team.  Just when I think I've got them figured out, they suprise me one way or the other.

You should try being a Mizzou fan.  All we care about is being at least .500 vs. KU.  Therefore, in a way, we don't really care what happenes in the tourney, we're just happy that people are still talking about us in March!      :P
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AllThingsKC wrote:

You should try being a Mizzou fan.  All we care about is being at least .500 vs. KU.  Therefore, in a way, we don't really care what happenes in the tourney, we're just happy that people are still talking about us in March!       :P
all kay u fans care about is being able to claim co titles. i think they are happier with the co big XII north champs two years running in football than the national championship in hoops.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Maitre D wrote:
No.  Based on overall record.
First off my post was wrong because I misread the number of losses, BUT if MU wins on Saturday and KU drops one to Texas, KU will still be the B12 Champ based on divisional record. Overall record never comes into play.

(a) If two teams are tied and they are from different divisions, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the higher seed. NIL
(b) If two teams are tied and they are from the same division, the team with an advantage in head-to-head competition shall be the higher seed. SPLIT
(c) If two teams remain tied, there will be a comparison of overall record against division teams only (10 divisional games). In the North KU is 9-1 and MU is 7-3.
(d) If two teams remain tied, there will be a comparison of record against the highest ranked team(s) (based upon Conference winning percentage) in the division and proceeding through in order of divisional record.
(e) If two teams remain tied, there will be a *comparison of record against the highest ranked team(s) (based upon Conference winning percentage) in the opposite division and proceeding through in order of divisional record.
(f) If two teams remain tied, the higher seed will be chosen by draw.
(g) If three or more teams are tied, ties among divisional opponents will be broken first by using steps (b) through (f) and the head-to-head results will be used to break ties between non-divisional teams. When three or more teams from the same division are tied step (b) will consist of a mini- round robin among the tied teams. At any point during the process of breaking ties among three or more teams that the number of tied teams are reduced to two, head-to-head competition would be used as the primary tie-breaker, followed-by steps (c) through (f).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Actually it could end in a 3 way tie...so 25% of the conference would get a championship trophy, as lame as that sounds.

Hand out one trophy a year, this year it would go to ku based on north division tiebreaker with mu (assuming there was a 3 way tie)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

KCPowercat wrote: Actually it could end in a 3 way tie...so 25% of the conference would get a championship trophy, as lame as that sounds.

Hand out one trophy a year, this year it would go to ku based on north division tiebreaker with mu (assuming there was a 3 way tie)
They should just stop handing out regular season confernece championship trophys for basketball.  It seems like we end up with these ties at the top quite often and college basketball is all about March anyway.  A regular season conference championship in basketball is basically the same as a division championship in football.  It's a very nice bragging point for the team(s) that win, but nobody really cares beyond that. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: #9 KU LOST TO TEXAS TECH.  'nuff said.  How can any KU fans look at that game and not have fear about what will happen in the tourney?
The young guys clearly still had a good bed shitting left in their system - better to get it out of the way now when it is relatively harmless rather than later.  Hopefully this helps sharpen their focus further.  
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

jlbomega wrote: They should just stop handing out regular season confernece championship trophys for basketball.  It seems like we end up with these ties at the top quite often and college basketball is all about March anyway.  A regular season conference championship in basketball is basically the same as a division championship in football.  It's a very nice bragging point for the team(s) that win, but nobody really cares beyond that. 

yup. hardware should equal a championship, and the big XII offers those, they play a championship game in all of their sports that matter.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Does anyone remember KU @ Okie State last season?  In many ways, that was a bigger upset, considering the talent and experience we had on the court.  There is no question that this year's team is more prone to a collapse or to not be mentally focused, but I still don't get how we lost that game last year.  At least OSU has a great atmosphere.  Last night's game looked like a high school game... and to get the court stormed by a whopping 400 people or whatever it was, embarrassing. 

I will only be overly worried about a first round exit if KU can't beat Texas at home or if we lose our first game in the Big XII tournament.  There is almost zero chance that the stars align as they did last night.  Motivation shouldn't be a factor from here on out.  We won't shoot that poorly from 3 the rest of the year (4-24).  Coach Self challenged Collins at the beginning of the year to take 18 shots a game, so I have no problem with Sherron trying to do anything possible to spark a run.  There were no bright spots for us last night, save perhaps Marcus Morris and to a much lesser extent, T. Rel (even with 2 terrible turnovers), who both thrive in those hectic, ugly situations.  Mario was stale, Cole was handcuffed, Sherron couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, our gunners weren't hitting.  Frankly, I'm impressed that Self didn't get thrown out of the game after the ridiculous Morris "T".  Self's "T" didn't help us at all, but I think he had to go there after our player got mauled.  No excuses however, as we should be able to overcome adversity both within and imposed upon the game.  You never know what style of play the refs will dictate in the NCAA, but I believe if they let us play basketball, we will have a pretty decent run at the very least.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

bobbyhawks wrote: Does anyone remember KU @ Okie State last season?  In many ways, that was a bigger upset, considering the talent and experience we had on the court.  There is no question that this year's team is more prone to a collapse or to not be mentally focused, but I still don't get how we lost that game last year.  At least OSU has a great atmosphere.  Last night's game looked like a high school game... and to get the court stormed by a whopping 400 people or whatever it was, embarrassing. 

I will only be overly worried about a first round exit if KU can't beat Texas at home or if we lose our first game in the Big XII tournament.  There is almost zero chance that the stars align as they did last night.  Motivation shouldn't be a factor from here on out.  We won't shoot that poorly from 3 the rest of the year (4-24).  Coach Self challenged Collins at the beginning of the year to take 18 shots a game, so I have no problem with Sherron trying to do anything possible to spark a run.  There were no bright spots for us last night, save perhaps Marcus Morris and to a much lesser extent, T. Rel (even with 2 terrible turnovers), who both thrive in those hectic, ugly situations.  Mario was stale, Cole was handcuffed, Sherron couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, our gunners weren't hitting.   Frankly, I'm impressed that Self didn't get thrown out of the game after the ridiculous Morris "T".  Self's "T" didn't help us at all, but I think he had to go there after our player got mauled.  No excuses however, as we should be able to overcome adversity both within and imposed upon the game.  You never know what style of play the refs will dictate in the NCAA, but I believe if they let us play basketball, we will have a pretty decent run at the very least.
Pretty much agree.  And didn't Eaton put up some ridiculous numbers in that OSU game last year?  When KU goes down, it's usually because one or two guys on the other team hit everything they toss at the goal...kinda like last night.  I think the 15 3's Tech hit was the 2nd most this decade by a KU opponent.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

kcmetro wrote: Image

Funny pic, metro.

Here's another funny fact.  After the bed shitting in Lubbock last night:

On the season -

Bill Self now has four times the technical fouls as Frank Martin.

AND

The Morris Twins have twice the amount at Frank Martin.

Talk about monsters.......

:lol:
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

kcmetro wrote: Pretty much agree.  And didn't Eaton put up some ridiculous numbers in that OSU game last year?  When KU goes down, it's usually because one or two guys on the other team hit everything they toss at the goal...kinda like last night.  I think the 15 3's Tech hit was the 2nd most this decade by a KU opponent.
This is how MU lost Sunday.  55 percent vs. 30 percent shooting.  At least MU got beat on the road by a GOOD team. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well that sucked. Hope it served as a wake up call. Especially to you Sherron. Quit laying up bricks!!!!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote: Pretty much agree.  And didn't Eaton put up some ridiculous numbers in that OSU game last year?  When KU goes down, it's usually because one or two guys on the other team hit everything they toss at the goal...kinda like last night.  I think the 15 3's Tech hit was the 2nd most this decade by a KU opponent.
Well, we still have our streak of holding opponents under 50% from the field, if nothing else.  If it were to be broken, I would have thought for sure last night.
KCMax wrote: Well that sucked. Hope it served as a wake up call. Especially to you Sherron. Quit laying up bricks!!!!
If not Sherron, then who?  I definitely agree that he forced the issue and took some early shots he shouldn't have, but he is the catalyst to our team.  If he isn't playing well, either as a point guard or as a scorer, we can try to roll with Tyshawn and Morningreed, but they sometimes seem lost without his decisiveness. 
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

KCMax wrote: Well that sucked. Hope it served as a wake up call. Especially to you Sherron. Quit laying up bricks!!!!
This is why I feel this KU team is basically setting their fanbase up for a big let down in March.  It's no secret now that you can stop KU by shutting down Collins and beating up Aldrich on the boards.  If KU wants to get past the first weekend of the NCAAs or win the Big 12 Tournament the supporting cast will need to step up. 

On another note, these injuries to Aldrich really seem to be adding up.  I would be concerned about Cole wearing down at the wrong time for KU. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: Well, we still have our streak of holding opponents under 50% from the field, if nothing else.  If it were to be broken, I would have thought for sure last night.

If not Sherron, then who?  I definitely agree that he forced the issue and took some early shots he shouldn't have, but he is the catalyst to our team.  If he isn't playing well, either as a point guard or as a scorer, we can try to roll with Tyshawn and Morningreed, but they sometimes seem lost without his decisiveness. 
A good point guard can create shots for his teammates. A good dribble drive dish can set up open shots.
jlbomega wrote: This is why I feel this KU team is basically setting their fanbase up for a big let down in March.  It's no secret now that you can stop KU by shutting down Collins and beating up Aldrich on the boards.  If KU wants to get past the first weekend of the NCAAs or win the Big 12 Tournament the supporting cast will need to step up. 

On another note, these injuries to Aldrich really seem to be adding up.  I would be concerned about Cole wearing down at the wrong time for KU. 
My expectations aren't super high for the Tourney. I think this team should be able to reach at least the Sweet 16, but virtually every team in college basketball has some glaring weakness, including KU. There are no really dominant teams out there and anyone is susceptible to an upset. Should wreak some havoc on a lot of people's brackets this year. We could see another George Mason in the Final Four.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag