Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

GRID wrote: I for one hope they only try another vote as a last resort.  This passed primarily because it was under the radar.  Another real light rail vote would bring out he opposition in full force and make it very tough to pass this in a city like KC.
That is exactly right, most people didn't know about it until they read the ballot.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: I for one hope they only try another vote as a last resort.  This passed primarily because it was under the radar.  Another real light rail vote would bring out he opposition in full force and make it very tough to pass this in a city like KC.
True, but I also think there would be a considerable amount of disgust among voters if a costly campaign is waged to reverse what the voters already passed.

This reminds me of the rolling roof vote.  It was close, it lost, and the immediate reaction was "we'll just put it on the ballot again next time."  After a while, they realized the result might not be any different if they tried again.  When the people speak at the ballot box, it is in the best interest of elected officials to listen.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Actually It would be very easy to retrofit a street facing entrance to the Westin/Crown Center out to Main.  They already built a passage out in that direction for the link to US.  All that sits on that coner right now is a lawn with a Westin Sign on it - very easy location to build a nice zero lot line, corner addition and if there were a light rail station sitting out there than the Westin/Halls would have every financial incentive in the world to build it.  
There are very many interesting ideas and alternatives being shared tonight. I pick your reply to comment on because it is short, and addresses the question of routes.  There has to be some sections along the route developed to allow a run-around for trains as they pass each other. Maybe the answer is to have the line go through Crown Center in one direction with another section that runs down Main in the other, the line can re-connect with links in front of the the Westin along Pershing, and on the south end where Grand curves on up and intersects Main.

Just an idea. But one that gives riders alternate boarding spots.

Also, the area between Crown Center and IRS is going to become increasingly dense with workers. Not only will there be 5-9 thousand IRS, but also the Federal Reserve. The line might best serve traffic along Main, south of Crown Center.  

To the North: If the line comes up Burlington headed for Heart of America Bridge, then the bridge across the Missouri River consideration may be manifestly simpler; because the developers could probably make use of the ASB Bridge, and reconnect short spans on each end to provide the dedicated right-of-way. The Bridge is also large enough to provide another long section for the light rail trains to pass each other.

I believe that the scare tactics of the public speaking skeptics aren't considering some of the existing opporunities that are present. The skeptics are also admitting an extraordinary lack of imagination, creativity, and vision.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

RE: the route.  The ballot language specificed certain stops, so those stops are likely to be required to happen. 
RE: changing the route of broadway or other roads in PVP. The ballot language specifically called for removing the roads in PVP, so simply moving Broadway, or running the LRT line next to it is not an option. The roads have to be closed. 

If you're going to say the city must abide by the will of the people and implement LRT, then you have to take the bad with the good. You must have the stops stipulated, and you must close all through roads in PVP.

RE: Gondolas:  Has anyone found out if the US folks will actually allow the gondolas to connect the station itself? Union Station is not owned by the city, can a ballot initiative force the privately operated station to do anything?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Voter turnout was pretty high here.  It passed even in the most unlikely of areas.  It actually surprises me that so many people came out and it still passed.   
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

tat2kc wrote: RE: the route.  The ballot language specificed certain stops, so those stops are likely to be required to happen. 
RE: changing the route of broadway or other roads in PVP. The ballot language specifically called for removing the roads in PVP, so simply moving Broadway, or running the LRT line next to it is not an option. The roads have to be closed. 

If you're going to say the city must abide by the will of the people and implement LRT, then you have to take the bad with the good. You must have the stops stipulated, and you must close all through roads in PVP.

RE: Gondolas:  Has anyone found out if the US folks will actually allow the gondolas to connect the station itself? Union Station is not owned by the city, can a ballot initiative force the privately operated station to do anything?
I think everyone here recognizes that Clay's plan on the ballot cannot be implemented.  Something will be worked out to change the specifics, be it through the legal system, or another election.  I wouldn't get too hung up on that right now.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

It's great to see city council actually focusing on our transit issues with light rail as the agenda!
"Let's get it!"
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I hope they aren't stupid and try to take out this proposal, or dodge it...
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Greg Lever brings about a good point saying, "Five years ago, there was more than $800 million in federal funding just sitting there, but the voters said no,".  Although, city council was to blame for the turnout with the former mayor calling the plan a "frou-frou."  The lack of light rail endorsement coming from city hall was the nail in the coffin for the rail plan, as this discouraged a lot of voters from approving the project.

I hope that city hall learns from this.  Instead of wishing the issue away, the city council are stuck with it and are now forced to come up with resolve.
Last edited by ddw334umkc on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's get it!"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

too late... channel 9 just used the 37% "never" figure on the 10 pm newscast.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is a light rail room needed?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

KCPowercat wrote: Is a light rail room needed?
NO..............it might die down after a week or two.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this is interesting to read in retrospect... the 2001 editorial from the star recommending a YES vote on that light rail plan:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/news/n_kc1002.htm
A half-cent sales tax for a mass transit system that could help reduce congestion, foster commercial development in key areas and revitalize the city seems to be not just affordable but one of the best investments that Kansas Citians can make in their future.

The decision next month will not be simply about whether to approve a transportation plan. It will be a decision about what kind of city we want to build and whether it is time to balance our region's many thriving suburbs with a dynamic urban core.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: too late... channel 9 just used the 37% "never" figure on the 10 pm newscast.
First, think about channel 9's market.  They have always been the conservative station with an older and more suburban audience.

Then think about the kind of people that would actually take the time to vote.  They aren't the ones at the Cashew right now and the negatives are more likely to vote anyway.

Third, that is way off.  In reality it would be closer to 80% of the metro population that would not use a light rail system in a period of a year.  On a daily basis, you would be lucky to get .05% of the metro to use light rail and that is no different than any other town.

That doesn't mean that light rail isn't needed and wouldn't be a vital part of KC's future as most of us know.

This is just the BS that the press will run with and exactly why a "real" vote would have a very difficult time passing in KC.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I tend to think light rail passage benefited from the Democrats strong GOTV effort.  Folks were at the polls who may not have been there in the past to vote for this.  They're also folks who may be more likely to use light rail as well.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I nominate a new thread to specifically discuss and debate the route of light rail in KC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

ddw334umkc wrote: Greg Lever brings about a good point saying, "Five years ago, there was more than $800 million in federal funding just sitting there, but the voters said no,".  Although, city council was to blame for the turnout with the former mayor calling the plan a "frou-frou."  The lack of light rail endorsement coming from city hall was the nail in the coffin for the rail plan, as this discouraged a lot of voters from approving the project.

I hope that city hall learns from this.  Instead of wishing the issue away, the city council are stuck with it and are now forced to come up with resolve.
The frou frou comment was from Cleaver in or around 1997. That wasn't connected to the light rail election five years ago. Barnes was Mayor for the 2001 vote, and she endorsed that plan. Lack of support from City Hall didn't sink that proposal.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: Is a light rail room needed?
i think so kcp
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

kcdcchef wrote: i think so kcp
Yes, there are how many threads with more adding by the day. A new one just within the last hour...  If we have one for freaking Kansas then we need one for light rail.  :lol:  Can you do a subfolder within Transportation? Either way some organization needs to come into place to organize the lightrail threads from the other transportation threads.