Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by NDTeve »

Maitre D wrote: then why did LIEweke offer the pens & preds 1/2 ownership of the operating rights to SC if a pro team isn't necessary?

it'snot alwasy about what someone says, powercat.  you need to look beyond press releases and quotes.
To get the teams here. Uphill battle pulling established franchises.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Because people do want a team here...in no way do I think AEG would sign up an arena and not make money w/o a team....knowing that getting a team is not a guarantee.  They are smarter than that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: That contradicts their stance taken when the SC was announced.  They said the arena is financially feasible without a major tenant.
Just because it's "financially feasible", doesn't mean it couldn't me much better with a tenant.

We need a tenant at that arena.  Not so much for the arena itself, but for P&L district.  I have a hard time seeing restaurants staying in business without something going on at that arena a few times a week vs just a few times a month.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The P&L will make plenty of money to stay around w/o a major tenant....they would make more with a anchor tenant obviously, and helps the spin off business...so yeah I'd like to see an anchor tenant for the team itself and it's benefit to the surrounding areas....but I don't think the P&L will fail w/o an anchor tenant.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: The P&L will make plenty of money to stay around w/o a major tenant....they would make more with a anchor tenant obviously, and helps the spin off business...so yeah I'd like to see an anchor tenant for the team itself and it's benefit to the surrounding areas....but I don't think the P&L will fail w/o an anchor tenant.
I don't think it will fail, I just don't think it will reach its potential.  I think it will pretty much stay the way it is (mostly night clubs) and will not only have a hard time attracting retail, but existing places, especially dining establishments, will have a real hard time.

The Theaters should help a ton along with the midland, but a tenant at the sprint center would really help out.  Too bad we missed the 90's/00's urban condo boom, because that would have helped as well.

I think it will turn out ok, but we might have been a few years too late and so it might take 5-6 years to reach where I thought we would be in 2009.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think without tenants, the bloom will wear off the rose sooner than it would with teams. The novelty and newness of the arena facilities will keep good acts here and keep butts in the seats for 3-5 years, but eventually you will need an anchor tenant to keep people coming back.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

LA Kings or New Orleans Hornets, one of the two will be here within 2 years.

That is my thinking. Absurd as it may sound.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Weren't the Kings ours in the first place.  They should come 'home'
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

You are confused with the Sacramento Kings (NBA)

I'm talking about the LA Kings (NHL)
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I see.  That's right, they have the Lakers in LA...I'm not too into sports.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

NDTeve wrote: To get the teams here. Uphill battle pulling established franchises.
True but that doesn't really answer the question why he was trying to get them here.   
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Just because it's "financially feasible", doesn't mean it couldn't me much better with a tenant.

We need a tenant at that arena.  Not so much for the arena itself, but for P&L district.  I have a hard time seeing restaurants staying in business without something going on at that arena a few times a week vs just a few times a month.
You can have 140 dates with a team or without a team.  What difference does that make?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Maitre D wrote: True but that doesn't really answer the question why he was trying to get them here.     
Why wouldn't we try to get a team?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

$62.5 million opposed to $42.5 Million gives a good reason why they want a team......
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

NDTeve wrote: Why wouldn't we try to get a team?
Again, not the point.  KC wants one, but LIEweke said it's fine if we don't have one.

Then he turned around and basically sold the farm to get one in here.  So what he says and what he does, don't align.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The money from Sprint for naming rights goes to debt service, not to AEG's pockets.  Long-term suite rentals though is a different story along with some of the advertising in the arena.  Team = higher rates and fees.  NO Team = lower rates and fees.  It is quite possible though a team could share in some of those revenues and may negate some of advantage of higher fees and rates.

AEG does have an exclusive for a three year period to recruit a team so maybe the city has a fee payment to it if AEG gets a team here.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

We've been over this dozens of times, and nobody can tell what AEG gets from SprexTel.    It's 40M with no tenant, and 62.5M with one.  But we have no idea if that money is going to AEG or the bond service.  I'm almost postiive it's going to AEG.

Why would AEG put 50M down on the ownership rights, if they dind't have the SprexTel income stream (2-3M bucks/year) coming in?  They make operating profits yes, but they need the SprexTel money as well.

At any rate, KCMO will cough up more dough if a team moves.  Rumors were that if the Pens moved, a 20M hockey practice facility would've been built by KCMO.  Which is not a bad use of money actually.

doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

GRID wrote: Just because it's "financially feasible", doesn't mean it couldn't me much better with a tenant.

This raises a question we were debating in my office the other day.  Wasn't the business model for the P&L district developed before the arena ballot issue was passed?  Did P&L consider the arena in their revenue projections or was that deal done before the arena was a blip on the radar?  Just trying to remember the chronological order of downtown development.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

P&L would have likely moved forward with or w/out the arena.

Separately, the arena is mostly funded by the rental/hotel tax and if I recall, a Star article a few weeks ago said the tax collections are exceeding expectations.

For a poor economy, both P&L and the arena are doing well.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tina Turner show easily biggest for AEG/Sprint since Garth (Perez blogging about it, rave reviews for her killing the performance, Oprah + Michelle Obama in attendance, etc.). Hopefully the show next week sells out on the strength of opening night.

Hard to argue against the arena when AEG puts together this sort of event that puts your city out there in addition to potentially drawing concert goers from 3+ hours away (no shows in StL, Nebraska or Oklahoma-- but I bet tour is extended).