Tarantino's?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Tarantino's?

Post by shaffe »

I finally stopped in for that calzone tonight (not as good as I remember, maybe a different combo is in order) and they had a sign outside their door saying that on June 15 they started closing at 4pm on Mondays.  This explains my earlier no-answer call.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

we had calzone's there a few weeks ago and they were not as good as i have had there before.  there was no ricotta, for one. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've noticed a little bit of inconsistency based on whether Joe makes it or whether it's one of the newer hired help.  If it's not very busy then you're more likely to get Joe and get a tastier calzone.    But even the less tasty ones beat most of the competitors.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

A reliable source tells me that Tarantino's is struggling.  They are getting good lunch business but delivery orders have been dropping off and they aren't getting any evening spillover from Sprint Center and the P&L due to being so far east. 

Those of us who love Tarantino's should step it up with our own ordering (especially in the evening) and spread the word more to suburbanites and out of towners so we can save this place.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

It would be cool if they could move further west in a more visible place and closer to the action. Where? I don't know. They just seem isolated in the current location.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

What's funny is that Tarantino's is only 1 block from Sprint Center's east entrance, yet gets no spillover.  Meanwhile  Zoo, which is the same distance from SC and in a way harder to get to, thrives whenever it's sports, rock, or country at SC.  It's like there's some sort of psychological barrier that won't let suburbanites walk any further east than Oak, even when there's visible neon signs at the other end of the building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its no barrier...ask 100 sprint center guestss...my guess is 4 have even HEARD of tarantinos...can't blame people for not going there if they don't know about it.

Heck ask 100 downtown residents....20 may have heard of them.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There is nothing along 13th Street to draw people east from the arena, like there is south along Grand.  There needs to be a plan to start developing out from the P&L so that the cityscape naturally draws people out in the surrounding neighborhood and to places like Tarantinos.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: There is nothing along 13th Street to draw people east from the arena, like there is south along Grand.  There needs to be a plan to start developing out from the P&L so that the cityscape naturally draws people out in the surrounding neighborhood and to places like Tarantinos.
like two-way streets and undoing that awful north facade of the CBE (not even some street trees? come on!). once something goes up on 13th and grand it might kick start things. of course, then you have to contend with that school board parking garage...

okay, so it's a lost cause. just move west, tarantino's!
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

scooterj wrote: What's funny is that Tarantino's is only 1 block from Sprint Center's east entrance, yet gets no spillover.  Meanwhile  Zoo, which is the same distance from SC and in a way harder to get to, thrives whenever it's sports, rock, or country at SC.   It's like there's some sort of psychological barrier that won't let suburbanites walk any further east than Oak, even when there's visible neon signs at the other end of the building.
Yes, I think there is a psychological barrier.  I wonder if 13th was eastbound it might be different?  I think you have the same situation to the north of P&L.  Though the logical direction of residual development is to the south and west, it is a lot to expect the thing to develop in all directions. 
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

This goes back to the shitty design/planning..Focusing only on P&L and their success, canceling the rest of the city out..Even the east entrance to arena is basically in the dark.The arena may be round but shows its back to everything except the west..
The Joes? old bar on east side would be a fantastic location for something by the way that may help this out.
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: This goes back to the shitty design/planning..Focusing only on P&L and their success, canceling the rest of the city out..Even the east entrance to arena is basically in the dark.The arena may be round but shows its back to everything except the west..
The Joes? old bar on east side would be a fantastic location for something by the way that may help this out.
How is the east entrance in the dark? It is not the primary entrance to the arena, but the city could easily look to redevelop areas east and northeast of the arena (which is already happening to an extent). Why would the city invest in P+L and not fully integrate the arena in into the district's design? I don't agree with the tactics on the block where the Law Building stood, but remember that many urban arenas are surrounded by surface parking which is probably what most locals would've preferred.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Why would the city not put exits into the xrds? Why would the city not put exits to 18th and vine?Why doesnt the city have synchronized street signals? Why dont they offer parking on east side of arena? why is it all the lights billboards, sculpture are on P&L side..? thats what I mean by lit area as well..Look at the difference between east side and west of arena you really have to be friggin BLIND not to see where they focused the attention.
P&L Free since 2008
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You want sprint center exits to dump onto the interstate?  If you are talking interstate exits, I don't think the highway designers created exits decades ago to shun the xroads and pump the p&l. 

Either way...wow.  Very logical argument.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there are exits to the crossroads, with signage saying "crossroads arts district."  i-35/w. pennway is one.  i think there may be one on 71 as well.  not sure about 670.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

There is parking on the east side.  I use it for every event.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

elextendo is right about the orientation of the sprint center and self-contained nature of the P+L area though.  all the energy, entrances, etc. is aimed to attract and keep activity in the P+L area.  the area just to the east of the SC/P+L is quite "dark" (literally and figuratively).  there is almost nothing over there to generate its own activity, so the contrast is very striking.  there is more activity to the west and south of the P+L which prevents this "darkness" although it's still a reduced level of activity compared to the P+L itself - hotels, condo buildings, bars/etc. in the "north crossroads," etc.  the govt district is dead and dark, and like all govt districts that i know of it probably always will be.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The criminal justice aspect of the government district- namely, the fact that released jail inmates are dropped off in front of city hall every day -pretty much ensures that entertainment development will always be abbreviated there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mod: deleted all the off-topic posts.
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Yeah, I drove by there the other day and I just didn't realize it was there.  Even though I live downtown, I just rarely drive over there.  It was interesting driving west on 13th St.  I thought it was a cool view of the downtown.  There just isn't enough life on the east side of downtown to cause much of the general public to go over there.  If they could do something cool with the Argyle building, that would be a start, and maybe they can get a real developer for the East Village.