Kansas City NHL Articles

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Kansas City NHL Articles

Post by GRID »

KC0KEK wrote: ~4,500 people show up for a hockey game during the weather that STL was having? That's a testament to, not an indictment of, the team's fan base.
I forgot about that...

I'm sure 4500 is pretty close to their season ticket base.  I'm sure the crowd was very very small that night.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=2686426

"Balsillie's acceptance as a new owner is not tied to the gaming decision; he will likely be approved via a fax vote by the board of governors by the end of the week. If the Isle of Capri bid fails, the NHL will be facing a potential challenge to its long-held plan to spread its brand across the width and breadth of the United States.

Kansas City has a new arena and is itching for an NHL tenant, specifically the Pittsburgh Penguins and its core of superlative young players. Houston is another hot spot on the rumor map. Las Vegas is seen by some NHL executives as having great potential for either expansion or relocation, if that becomes a necessity."
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

thats good news^^^hope we get the chance to woo them here,and not hamilton.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

ESPN wrote: the NHL will be facing a potential challenge to its long-held plan to spread its brand across the width and breadth of the United States.
Huh?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This seems like a real simplistic, non-serious look at bringing teams here.

CASE FOR KC: ATLANTA THRASHERS

The Sprint Center opens next fall, but it’s still looking for a major professional sports team as an anchor. The Star will occasionally give three reasons why an NBA or NHL team should move to Kansas City. Today’s team: the NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers.

•The city too busy to skate. Atlanta has already lost one NHL team (the Flames). What’s one more?

•Chuk and Hoss. Fans who want high-scoring games would love Atlanta’s one-two punch of Ilya Kovalchuk and Marian Hossa, who are both in the top 10 in league scoring.

•If the snowshoe fits… Have you looked out the window lately? This is hockey weather, unlike the 60-degree weather this weekend in Atlanta.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. First off, they say that the Thrashers should move because one team failed already. However, we too have had one team fail, so that wouldn't make much sence to move one here if you are going by the sole fact of losing previous NHL teams. Second, did they basically say that since it is 60-degrees in Atlanta, they shouldn't have an NHL team? Wow.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Why we are at it lets just name the other teams in hotter climates than KC...

Tampa Bay
Dallas
L.A.
Phoenix
San Jose
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: •The city too busy to skate. Atlanta has already lost one NHL team (the Flames). What’s one more?
Kansas City Scouts.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Kansas City Scouts.

Who then proceeded to fail in Denver which now has the Avalanche.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

then they moved on to New Jersey and had great success.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

shinatoo wrote: then they moved on to New Jersey and had great success.
The point is not that they moved to New Jersey. The point is a team in Denver failed but the second opportunity has proved to be successful.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Probably one reason why the Avs are more successful than the Rockies were is that Denver became a much larger market over those two decades.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Another would be that Hockey had a general rennaissance in popularity between those two franchises.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KC0KEK wrote: Probably one reason why the Avs are more successful than the Rockies were is that Denver became a much larger market over those two decades.
I assume the KC metro has also grown in the las 30 years?
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KC0KEK wrote: Probably one reason why the Avs are more successful than the Rockies were is that Denver became a much larger market over those two decades.
not only that,but the year before the nordiqes moved to denver they had the best overall record in the nhl that year.quebec was eleminated in the first round that year which probably was the biggest upset in the history of the nhl playoffs.so denver inherited a great team.that always helps.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCFutbol wrote: I assume the KC metro has also grown in the las 30 years?
Yes, but our market still probably isn't big enough to support a team. The NHL doesn't have a lucrative TV contract, so teams are much more dependent on ticket sales than, say, the NBA. The bigger the market, the bigger the pool of potential ticket buyers. Plus, with the NFL and MLB already in town, it's debatable how much more fans and companies would be willing to spend on pro sports.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC0KEK wrote: Yes, but our market still probably isn't big enough to support a team. The NHL doesn't have a lucrative TV contract, so teams are much more dependent on ticket sales than, say, the NBA. The bigger the market, the bigger the pool of potential ticket buyers. Plus, with the NFL and MLB already in town, it's debatable how much more fans and companies would be willing to spend on pro sports.
Have you looked that the size of many of the markets in the NHL?  There are many smaller than KC, especially when you take into account that our sports, or entertainment "market" is huge (several million) because we are "THE" big city for a massive area.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

grid,i agree with you on some of that you just stated.unfortunately i think most of the so called experts would disagree with all of it.they already call kc oversaturated.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mykem wrote: grid,i agree with you on some of that you just stated.unfortunately i think most of the so called experts would disagree with all of it.they already call kc oversaturated.
You can't just crunch numbers to come to the conclusion that KC is "oversaturated".

The Royals (yes the Royals) and the Chiefs attendance alone prove that.  We draw VERY will for a market that is technically only 1.9 million people.

A few reasons for this.  As I mentioned, KC is THE major league city for the region, which stretches all the way to Omaha, Wichita etc.

More people in this area are into sports and attend sporting events per capita.

I spent a week in the Bay area and people there, like most big cities, couldn't give a rats ass about the sports teams.  Sure, they have sports fans, but it's a MUCH smaller percentage of the regional population and even the fans they do have, most seem to ignore the teams unless they are going to a game.

This is why little ol KC has TWO all sports radio stations, both of which do better than larger markets with only one sports station.

KC needs a winter sports team and with the new arena and a new downtown, KC would absolutely support a "major league", winter sport.

The success of the AFL proves that there is a lot of pent up demand for winter sports.  I think most people including myself expected more out of the AFL though.  I came away feeling it was very "minor league". I think that will eventually hurt them because KC will not support minor leagues teams as well.  This is a major league market.

Anyway, KC could support the NHL or NBA as well as any other city out there could, depending on long term win/loss records etc, just like any other city.

I don't care what the "experts" say.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

i lived in marin county,so i know about the bay area.i still hold hope for kc on landing the nba,or nhl.i just think it's going to be tough.in this regaurd the nba may have the upperhand,because their is no team within 400 miles.whereas the nhl is 250 miles away in st.louis.