Tired of Urban Living??????????

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Tired of Urban Living??????????

Post by warwickland »

Tosspot wrote: one thing interesting is i actually lived a semi-urban life in warrensburg. i walked quite a lot of places between cmsu campus, downtown warrensburg for lunch or whatever, the post office, my apartment. actually i suppose you could say it was more of a somewhat idyllic small town lifestyle.

but i was still dependent on driving to the store for groceries.
i lived a semi-urban life as well...but having to drive to the store for groceries and other things sort of threw a monkey wrench into my ideal.

what was really bizarre to me was students who lived in warrensburg, driving to campus and downtown.........

i mean really, is it really worth fighting for a parking spot every morning in warrensburg? what the hell...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

nota wrote: Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.

I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)

Do you utilize the burbs for the vet, the bank, etc or are those in the urban?
So you are telling me that if I drop by your place on the right (wrong) day all of the fruit, vegtables, meat, fish, dairy and eggs will be at least two weeks old?

YIKES!!!  :shock:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: So you are telling me that if I drop by your place on the right (wrong) day all of the fruit, vegtables, meat, fish, dairy and eggs will be at least two weeks old?

Either that or Nota has been living off of canned spaghetti'Os.  Hell, I don't care whether I am living downtown or on the moon, I want fresh stuff at least once a week and more often than not twice. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: So you are telling me that if I drop by your place on the right (wrong) day all of the fruit, vegtables, meat, fish, dairy and eggs will be at least two weeks old?

one of those martha stewart plan ahead things.................spend two days cooking ALL of your meals, chili, stew, pot pie, lasagna, then freeze every bit of it. yum, have to love that.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

kcdcchef wrote: one of those martha stewart plan ahead things.................spend two days cooking ALL of your meals, chili, stew, pot pie, lasagna, then freeze every bit of it. yum, have to love that.
Eh, I must say, that works really well if you're a student. During the week it's really hard to find time to cook, so I usually do a lot of my weekly food preparations while I'm listening to Prairie Home Companion on Sunday mornings.  :D Mine, however usually consists of a large salad that I eat from the entire week, some kind of veggie soup and/or vegetarian lasagna. As for shopping, I go to the River Market once a week for produce and a nearby market (within biking distance) for dry goods for everything else when I happen to need it...I can do this because I only have to worry about feeding one person though, me. I can understand where this can be difficult if you have a family to feed.

Having to go to several different places to get your food or PPCPs (pharmaceutical and personal care products), I think, adds extra flare to everyone's life. Where I come from you go to the butcher for your meat, the bakery for bread and the like, the apothecary for other items, and your local farmer's market for fruits, vegetables and dairy. While you are in all of these different places you mingle and chat with people from your community, learn about where your food comes from and how it was produced- it promotes this community cohesiveness that we all long for. Who doesn't like going into a shop where people look up when they hear you come in and greet you with a friendly, "Hey, (whatever-your-name-may-be), it's good to see you!" That certainly doesn't happen when I, on occasion, have to pop into the Vivion Road Price Chopper.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

beccanator wrote: , "Hey, (whatever-your-name-may-be), it's good to see you!" That certainly doesn't happen when I, on occasion, have to pop into the Vivion Road Price Chopper.
best part of the urban lifestyle. going to the east side to the asian market, to the river market to get produce, meat, cheese, coffee, fish, going to the west side to my favorite latin american markets, the best park is getting the friendly greeting, talking for a minute, shooting the shit, hearing their music on the radio, seeing them read a newspaper in a language you know nothing of, that is sooooo cool.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

yes, going to the market should be a small pleasure....but thanks to the suburban way of life...it's become a stressful chore for most people in the united states.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

nota wrote: Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.
I absolutely disagree. I really enjoy shopping for food. I don't clip coupons or do much in the way of meal planning, though. I just go to the store and see what produce looks freshest and what meat looks good for the next couple days. Maybe a few random nonperishables (yay, black beans on sale!) Doing this 2-3 times a week has been a real winner for us. We only have to get very few things at the store each trip, so each trip is super fast, and we get lots at the city market, which is close enough to walk (and, now, bike) so no driving, parking, loading up the car, etc, and no huge loads of stuff to weigh us down, either. I used to dread grocery shopping, though, when I was a kid...my mom did it pretty much as you describe and, at least for a kid, the tedium was unbearable. Down each aisle, checking everything off the list, comparing the price to the advertised price. One shopping trip could take hours! Not fun.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

a BANK?  Good lord, you can't spit without hitting a bank branch.  Not sure about a vet, citydog?  dry cleaners are also in about every office building.

Another reason I don't worry about a grocery store that much is we don't cook alot....we always have something going on so going out and buying $100 worth of food usually means $75 of it gets thrown away.  Just different for different situations.  Glad KC has good options for both.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: I'd like AKP to show us where anybody ever even hinted that all people in this age range want to live downtown?  With or without a baseball park.

I'm not sure why AKP thinks it's so offensive that some people are now choosing to live downtown?
It may not be all people but here is one post:
Valentine

Re: Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2006, 03:29:21 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to interupt, but I have a book to publish here.

I think I missed out on what was probably the significant DT baseball debate on the forum.  The following is Kard's Downtown Baseball Rant.  Deal with it.

I'm confused why so many folks are flat out against it--period.  I'm not talking about the "refurb because it's cheaper then building new" argument.  I'm talking about the people who say they want it in a bean field away from Downtown REGARDLESS if it's new or not.  Chef, this is a little different then your argument, I believe, because the folks I'm talking about would, based on their argument, want a new stadium out in the beanfield once Kauffman really IS ready to be retired in 15 years or whatever.

This next bit has probably been said.  But, I think a DT ballpark would be a great idea.  Why?  The future of any city is based on attracting young talent to it and keeping them there (if you have an issue with this, look to many of the small rural towns in Kansas that have nearly died out).  Based on common sense, young talented people like exciting things.  As few as five years ago, and even today, people in KC could ask themselves "why would young talent looking for exciting things come HERE?  Our Downtown is dead, suburban cities are stealing what urban employers the city has left and putting them in bean fields, and it takes forever to get around this town.  In a sense, this place is boring."

How would a DT ballpark NOT help the situation?  I've heard enough studies and rebuttal-studies about the "economic" benefits of a DT park that I generally don't trust either side.  But, how can one not ignore the fact that a stadium DOES attract more life to whatever part of town in which it is built?  Given that, if more people flock to Downtown and are familiar with it, and therefor learn to be less afraid of Downtown (as a lot of suburbanites are in KC), it would increase the general DT population just by visitors alone.  It would help to make it a more exciting place, and hopefully attract the talent to power the city for the next generation.  The Crossroads pioneers and the condo-boom is helping to lead that effort.  I can only imagine what would have happened to the metro area as a whole for the next 20 years if the current condo boom had NOT occurred.

I realize a big hunk of concrete downtown with overpriced beer doesn't make a place exciting enough on its own.  But with what KC's already got there from the 20's and 30's, I think it would make an awesome addition that would help even more people from outside KC and the those born after 1970 in KC's metro learn how awesome their city really is and the treasures it contains.  And hopefully keep these people here.  Otherwise, they're going to go to Chicago, NY, Philly, Portland, Seattle, San Fran...  I recently moved back to KC from STL because I wanted to "learn my city" after growing up in the East burbs here, and although I see the progress and potential, I sometimes ask myself and others, why should I stay here?  People are against what I want.  It irritates me that the progress is slowed, especially when other cities are moving in that direction.

Anyway, feel free to tell me how stupid I am and that DT baseball wouldn't make this a better place, especially 20 years from now when there's no one left in Kansas City to pay the bills because they've all moved to St Louis, Chicago, etc.  Seriously--go ahead and keep telling the young workers that this will stay a boring town.  They're going to leave and not come back.  My brother already has.  Friends of mine from college moved here to work for Cerner, and they're starting to go...  It IS happening.

AND I DON'T THINK IT IS OFFENSIVE THAT PEOPLE CHOOSE TO LIVE DT, IN FACT IT IS GREAT AND I HAVE SAID THAT BEFORE.  WHAT I DO FIND OFFENSIVE IS THE WAY SOME OF THE 'URBAN LIFERS' BELITTLE LIFE IN THE SUBURBS SO MUCH THAT IT SEEMS THEY HAVE SUCH A WARPED VIEW OF THE LIVES OF MANY PEOPLE.  YOU DON'T HAVE TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF BY ATTACKING THE LIVES OF OTHERS. 

I JUST LIKE TO DIG ALITTLE AT PEOPLE WHEN I CAN COME UP WITH AN OPPSOING STATEMENT OR TWO.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

=D>
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

\:D/
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I JUST LIKE TO DIG ALITTLE AT PEOPLE WHEN I CAN COME UP WITH AN OPPSOING STATEMENT OR TWO.
you should take this last sentence from your post, and make it your signature on all of your posts akp
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It may not be all people but here is one post:
Valentine

Yeah, I knew you talking about me earlier.  I go by Kard on here.  Nice to meet you.

I'm not really quite sure what you're getting at, after reading your last few posts.

I said that in order to attract and retain young talent, you need a more exciting place.  I did not mean ALL young talent.  But by and far, most young folks enjoy living where there are things to do.  That could mean a beach or mountains, or a bustling urban core with many things to do.  We don't have the outdoor stuff, and the urban part is getting better.  A DT ballpark would help make the DT area more lively.

Do you not think most young professionals enjoy an exciting city, and would live there if they could?  I'm not gettin on your case.  It seems like maybe some people are putting words in your mouth.  But it's been my experience that at lot of the uber-talented people head to places like San Fran, Portland, New York, etc., because they're more exciting places then KC.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

hey, obviously AKP is teetering on the lunatic fringe tonight...i mean he's using caps!  :lol:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

warwickland wrote: hey, obviously AKP is teetering on the lunatic fringe tonight...i mean he's using caps!  :lol:
needing his geratol.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: needing his geratol.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Let's take a not-so-pleasant "stroll" through the suburbs!

Three cheers for the shithole suburbs! culturally bankrupt, repugnant, fetid, putrid, visually horrid cesspools of social decline like these pictured above that we actually have some people defending. Rome before the fall (only roman cities probably didn't have strip mall gulags).

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: Let's take a not-so-pleasant "stroll" through the suburbs!

Three cheers for the shithole suburbs! culturally bankrupt, repugnant, fetid, putrid, visually horrid cesspools of social decline like these pictured above that we actually have some people defending. Rome before the fall (only roman cities probably didn't have strip mall gulags).
Hey, Toss--where are those from?  Blue Springs?  Lees Summit?  Overland Park?  Liberty?  Shawnee?  Barry Road?  Lenexa?  Olathe?  Independence?  I couldn't tell.  :?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Kard wrote: Hey, Toss--where are those from?  Blue Springs?  Lees Summit?  Overland Park?  Liberty?  Shawnee?  Barry Road?  Lenexa?  Olathe?  Independence?  I couldn't tell.  :?
first is from "merriam town center." strip mall gulag power center in merriam next to i-35. i guess the parking lot is the "town center."

second is Overland Park, "Rosana Square Shopping Center." at 119th and Metcalf I believe. again, the purveyors of this cancerous fakery in the built environment invoke quaint concepts referrent to bygone paradigms of urban form- in this case, the word "square," which can only be the vast parking lagoon.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit