Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Transportation topics in KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by dangerboy »

The Paseo would need a lot of rehab if it were to be kept up, even for bike/ped.  We should have kept the old Chouteau Bridge for bike/ped.  That was a huge lost opportunity.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

How much travel is used on this part of the Missouri River? If any?
bry456
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bry456 »

mykem wrote: How much travel is used on this part of the Missouri River? If any?
The article says 100,000 cars per day cross that bridge.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Meaning that there is about 100,000 vehicular miles are traveled on this bridge. every 10 days there are 1 million miles traveled on this one bridge. Impressive.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

Anyone know how extensive rehabbing would need to be done for the old paseo to be re-used as the LightRail bridge if it were moved west to a better approach for the LRT?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"Move" a bridge that size?  Even if feasible it would be cheaper to building a rail only bridge or go over where the road deck to the ASB was.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I think the bridge should be razed regardless. IMO, next to the new bridge, I think the old Paseo would be an eyesore. Plus the money that it would cost to continue to keep maintaning it could take away from other projects that need to be done elsewhere.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KC Kropf wrote: So did anyone else notice the influence a certain sports figure had on our new bridge design??

Hopefully the new bridge won't have damaged footing like LJ.
A fool and your money are soon united.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

in case anyone missed this, prime buzz published the scoring for each of the design/build teams:

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/8417
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

the thing that surprised me most was the point spread between the two proposals -- 73 vs 51.

a conspiracy theorist might say, hmmmm...

- didn't modot announce 15 months ago that they might not be able to use design-build because only one team had expressed interest?
- didn't modot annouce a few weeks later that they'd found a second design-build team, and could thus proceed as planned?
- how many people know that the losing team would be guaranteed a $1.5 million stipend?
- how likely is it that the losing team entered the game without any intent to win?

hmmmm...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a conspiracy theorist would definitely find cause there. but a pragmatist would see that the cost of doing the project any other way would leave modot open to price increases, and thus the $1.5m payoff is money well spent. that's the lie i'm telling myself today, at least.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I was surprised anyone bid on it at all.  I went to the presentation that MoDOT made to construction companies and they were all astounded at much MoDOT wanted for $250 million.  That amount is reasonable for a bridge, but is really pushing it for an additional six miles of highway.

But enough's theory is certainly intriguing and plausible.  I was already thinking that the winning company might might have to decided to swallow little or no profit on the Paseo project in order to remain competitive for future MoDOT contracts.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

enough wrote: the thing that surprised me most was the point spread between the two proposals -- 73 vs 51.

a conspiracy theorist might say, hmmmm...

- didn't modot announce 15 months ago that they might not be able to use design-build because only one team had expressed interest?
- didn't modot annouce a few weeks later that they'd found a second design-build team, and could thus proceed as planned?
- how many people know that the losing team would be guaranteed a $1.5 million stipend?
- how likely is it that the losing team entered the game without any intent to win?

hmmmm...

Sorry, but you have it all wrong.  It was a highly competitive process between both teams.  The 1.5 million "might" come close to covering the losing team's efforts.  The "bid" had to be a set of plans that were taken to 30% (I think) design, meaning the much of the design, right of way etc had to be done just to bid.  Not cheap, but that's the way design build works.  Even then, only two teams accepted the challenge.

Who knows how much profit Transystems will actually make, if any on this, but dangerboy is right, I would think this would help them get future modot projects and Transystems really needed a high profile project like this, especially a local one.  HNTB has plenty.

I really wish MoDot would have spent a bit more money on this project.  Even 100 million more would have been enough to fix the NE corner of the loop and make the corridor 8 lanes now instead of later.  But we are getting quite a bit for 250 million and it will come nearly a decade sooner than Modot orignally planned.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) appears to have problems with the new design of the Paseo Bridge. The FAA is concerned about the height of the central mast height on the bridge, and that it will affect flight patterns at the downtown airport.

FAA issues warning about Paseo bridge tower
By BRAD COOPER
The Kansas City Star

The Federal Aviation Administration is warning that the design for the new Paseo Bridge poses a hazard for air traffic at the Wheeler Downtown Airport.

In a notice issued Dec. 4, the FAA said the height of the proposed bridge — 220 feet above ground level — would interfere with navigable air space around the airport.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 01928.html
There is no fifth destination.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

FangKC wrote: The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) appears to have problems with the new design of the Paseo Bridge. The FAA is concerned about the height of the central mast height on the bridge, and that it will affect flight patterns at the downtown airport.
How do they figure?  None of the runways at the downtown airport appears to be angled in a manner that would cause planes to come anywhere near the bridge. 
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

FangKC wrote: The Federal Aviation Administration is warning that the design for the new Paseo Bridge poses a hazard for air traffic at the Wheeler Downtown Airport.

In a notice issued Dec. 4, the FAA said the height of the proposed bridge — 220 feet above ground level — would interfere with navigable air space around the airport.
If Logan Airport in Boston isn't jeopardized by the buildings and bridges of downtown Boston, how could this new bridge be a problem here?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

eliphar17 wrote: If Logan Airport in Boston isn't jeopardized by the buildings and bridges of downtown Boston, how could this new bridge be a problem here?
It's not.  I fly into MKC all the time.  This is stupid.  Hopefully modot tells the FAA where to go. :)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Runway angles have nothing to do with the approaches.  Everything between Waterworks park and the DT loop is in the approach for general aviation.  From my place I watch them all day coming down the I-70 north loop and then make a severe right dogleg into the airport.  Often it seems they are barely above my building which is about 200 feet tall.  However my building is about 100 feet in elevation above the river at the ground floor and the Paseo bridge is much further east. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

initial lane reductions will begin in march!
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Burton wrote: Anyone know how extensive rehabbing would need to be done for the old paseo to be re-used as the LightRail bridge if it were moved west to a better approach for the LRT?
I asked the KCIcon team about this in November. I was told that there are significant issues with this idea because the old Paseo Bridge was constructed using federal dollars and there are some legal issues standing in the way of transfering ownership over to the city.