P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by Long »

The hole extends from 13th to 14th.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah that garage isn't taking up the whole block like on 13th & Main.  Now they may dig out that ramp later as they did before but my bet is they only do a garage about 3/4 block...it is a smaller garage if I remember correctly.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

That elevator core now appears to have reached a height of about three stories above street level.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

As I've been watching them build the garage in this block, I was wondering where they construct the giant concrete sections used to build it.  The crane operator deftly sets a piece in place, and then swings around to pick up the next shortly after it has been dropped off by the pre-cast concrete fairy.

The same question occurred to me while I was watching them build the DST building at 11th and Broadway from my office window.  It just too me a decade or so to ask someone...
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

jimb wrote: As I've been watching them build the garage in this block, I was wondering where they construct the giant concrete sections used to build it.  The crane operator deftly sets a piece in place, and then swings around to pick up the next shortly after it has been dropped off by the pre-cast concrete fairy.

The same question occurred to me while I was watching them build the DST building at 11th and Broadway from my office window.  It just too me a decade or so to ask someone...

The sections are cast in a plant, loaded onto trucks and delivered piece by piece to the site.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Here is an updated picture from today.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I noticed that Lucky Strike operates a complex in Novi (Detroit 'burbs) that includes Lucky Strike Lanes, Lucky's (a Dave & Buster's clone), and Tequila Rain ("high energy dance club"). The location in Novi is set up in a center similar to the Legends. Its layout is 2 floors with Tequila Rain on the upper floor.

With that said, I'd be interested to see if Cordish was going to bring these concepts in for the KC Live block. I visited their location in Michigan and they're a good operator for this type of entertainment.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid, you visited the lucky strike/tequila rain complex in MI and were PLEASED?  have you lost your touch?  :lol:  i really hoped Cordish could do better than a repository for suburban frat guys to grind their crotches against sorostitutes, but perhaps not.  :)

bowling is fun, but only if the venue is smoky, disgusting, and "pour some sugar on me" is emanating from the bar area.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

Yesterday, I was watching an episode of "Entourage" that featured a trip to Lucky Strike in LA; it made it seem very cool. 
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Somebody mentioned the district possibly becoming an enclosed mall of bars.  I hope this isn't the case.  E-Block in Minneapolis has struggled with a block of two in their district being a total destination for loitering by the wrong crowd.  If you have been their it is right around the corner from Chevys, the Hard Rock, and Borders.  But overall the district is great.  Lets discuss the walkability of our district......will it be the case? What potential problems might we have with this issue?
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: trailerkid, you visited the lucky strike/tequila rain complex in MI and were PLEASED?  have you lost your touch?  :lol:  i really hoped Cordish could do better than a repository for suburban frat guys to grind their crotches against sorostitutes, but perhaps not.  :)

bowling is fun, but only if the venue is smoky, disgusting, and "pour some sugar on me" is emanating from the bar area.
Ahh...the entire KCLive portion (bar food court) will surely attract the ex-frat boys with little shirts and boob job chicks with huge purses so I don't see the problem with at least getting a good operator in there. Lucky's is just like a better version of D&B and Tequila Rain is a wannabe vegas club or something...it's not my cup of tea, but adds to the experiences one can have in Downtown KC which I'm all for.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah let's not model it after e-street...that block doesn't seem to work well in MPLS.

kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah let's not model it after e-street...that block doesn't seem to work well in MPLS.
KCPowercat, what are your thoughts on why the block doesn't work.  My girlfriend is from there and I experienced it a bit and felt it was jumping but seeing it on one night doesn't give it justice.  I'm interested because what did they do wrong that we could correct with out district.  And don't restrict the response to E-block in MPLS but all Cordish or entertainment districts around the US.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cordish did E-Street?

I didn't like it because it was almost all inwardly facing....in a very active block, I think that was a mistake.  I love the hotel there but beyond that, that block should be redone.

Plus even when inside it seems hard to navigate.

kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Good comments.....being Minneapolis they utilize the skywalks to the maximum potential but yes it did kind of have a Crown Center feel to it.  The hotel you are thinking of is the Maridian, which is so tight.  They have a two story dance club their called Cosmo's which is one of the more posh places I've been in the US.  The area is a strange mix, with brand new (Target Center), chain restaurants (hard rock, chevy's, chilies) and then classic (first avenue - the club in Purple Rain). 

And no Cordish didn't do block E.  And really having to re-do the block would be a failure in my opinion because the whole area doesn't feel that old.  And isn't the district larger than just one block.  It felt more like a total of around 2-3 but I could be wrong.

My hope with our KC district is that it is much more outdoor centered.  When the weather is extreme (which is inevitable in this city) their will be enough places in a dense situation that you could go in to seek shelter.  But I REALLY want it to have a strong public space presence and some mystery to it.  For instance, I wouldn't mind some courtyards behind some of these establishments.  Similar to what you have in Westport behind Jerusalem cafe/Blainey's or that 2 tier deck by the ice cream shop which is just south of Dark horse, Kelly's I believe (the same round about that Californio's shares).  And who is for banning cars......ME!!!!  The amazing thing in visiting Europe is how much they mute the car craziness.  Their are whole cities in Italy that ban the vehicle....can't KC accomplish this for 3 blocks at our core.  Some public space like that strip in Denver (market street?) with chess boards, picnic tables, fountains, and public art would also be ideal.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kc-vino wrote: Some public space like that strip in Denver (market street?) with chess boards, picnic tables, fountains, and public art would also be ideal.
i believe it's 16th street in denver. i've always thought they should close 48th street on the plaza (but leave north-south routes open). it's not accessible from the east or west, and only contain retail. they could build cafes in the middle of the existing street. i don't even think there are very many parking entrances on that street. but yes, they should block 14th street off from auto traffic (but can cross 14th going north-south).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

vino....I was just speaking of that one eblock...I love the rest of the district...I think they could have done something a little better to blend in with that existing infrastructure.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: vino....I was just speaking of that one eblock...I love the rest of the district...I think they could have done something a little better to blend in with that existing infrastructure.
The rest of the "district" existed for years and years and didn't really need Block E next to it. Block E added some interesting tenants, but overall the design is underwhelming for MPLS which has a better track record for some interesting urbanism. KC(P) is right about the inward design-- it's like a mall. You'd think after the failure of City Center Mall and the Conservatory, they'd learn their lesson about building another mall downtown.

We're doing a similar thing with the inward design in our KCLive block. It works both ways because these interior spaces also make it easier to control rowdy bar crowds by pushing them outside of the atrium area.

Further, I don't think Cordish should do a Lucky's/Gameworks/Jillian's concept as that would only attract teens who usually help in scaring away adults wanting to be left alone.