New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by GRID »

Leawood is just a subdivision of affluent single family homes in a flat boring area of KS. 135th is just a big wide street lined with strip malls. What in the world are you talking about? You may like KCMO, but you are a typical JoCo homer that's for sure. I don't think you spent much time at all in the suburbs of DC. Much of NOVA is nothing but a ton of Leawoods with better topography, better transit etc.

Leawood. You have to be kidding me. Every city has areas like Leawood.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:55 pm Leawood is just a subdivision of affluent single family homes in a flat boring area of KS. 135th is just a big wide street lined with strip malls. What in the world are you talking about? You may like KCMO, but you are a typical JoCo homer that's for sure. I don't think you spent much time at all in the suburbs of DC. Much of NOVA is nothing but a ton of Leawoods with better topography, better transit etc.

Leawood. You have to be kidding me. Every city has areas like Leawood.
I was in Maryland suburbs. It looked alot more like Prairie Village or Mission than Overland Park, Olathe, etc. They're just not the same type. So then why is Leawood ranked better than every other small town with less than 50k or less? Can't beat that
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

May I suggest we’ve gone full circle here in the discussion between you two and it’s unlikely to progress more?

I would like to hear ideas of what people think could be done at tsc if the royals leave.

They don’t play a lot of games to directly support businesses there.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Nah man, the Kansas burbs might be in the livable index for the USA Today crowd but they're just like every other suburb in America. Endless sea of the same chains, same shopping centers, same everything. The only true difference between these suburbs nationwide is climate & local design. That's it.

The Chiefs will not be moving to Kansas any time soon, not sure why we needed this thread.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:57 pm May I suggest we’ve gone full circle here in the discussion between you two and it’s unlikely to progress more?

I would like to hear ideas of what people think could be done at tsc if the royals leave.

They don’t play a lot of games to directly support businesses there.
I started this thread so I'm trying to see if I can delete it...but I don't think I can. It was all fine until dukuboy reignited it. We need to delete this thread now before it gets me to quit Rag like flyingember.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:58 pm Nah man, the Kansas burbs might be in the livable index for the USA Today crowd but they're just like every other suburb in America. Endless sea of the same chains, same shopping centers, same everything. The only true difference between these suburbs nationwide is climate & local design. That's it.

The Chiefs will not be moving to Kansas any time soon, not sure why we needed this thread.
Yes the look is the same everywhere, we established that 12 hours ago. What sets suburbs apart are the schools, affordability, livability, jobs, climate, the city you're near, etc. That's alot of factors. And on that stuff JoCo does very well. That's why it attracts. But yeah, we know they all look more or less the same.

I'm starting to see the entire argument from GRID and the urbanists is about the appearance. Which, if that's the case, we could've ended this like 14 hours ago because I don't disagree there. My whole argument was about the affordability/livability/schools/jobs/metro combined that make it the most balanced suburb combining all the family factors. I think we're talking about two different concepts here this whole time.

So dear God, someone just delete this thread.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah but what does all that have to do with a football team? You think in the end, the folks living there are going to love the idea of drunk drivers leaving a new stadium with endless lots or garages in their neighborhood?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I've lived in Bethesda, it's great.

KC has some great suburbs too which contribute to a successful metropolitan area. It isn't a zero sum game between JoCo and KCMO.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Yep^

Look, the bottom line is we need JoCo to be the most attractive place for families to move to that we can make it- and capture that demographic. And by every metric, JoCo is doing yeomen's work on that. Alot of people don't want to move to an urban place, and we need to have JoCo as the safety valve for the people who don't want urban so we still get those people.

We need KCMO to be the best urban experience to attract the urban seekers, young adult crowd. If both JoCo & KCMO hit their target demographics and surge with them, then we can be like Dallas or Denver.

I don't think a place like Indy or Columbus couldn't ever hit that growth because they will never have the urban potential that KCMO has. Their suburbs could catch up or outpace, but our urban core is what makes KC special.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Super Bowl is today. At least almost all the snow piles are gone.

CURRENT WEATHER
12:22 PM

28°F
RealFeel® 18°
RealFeel Shade™
13°
Air Quality
Fair
Wind
N 15 mph
Wind Gusts
20 mph
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm In the near future with the 18 game schedule it'll be hosted on like Feb. 20 or 21st. That's why I'm saying, late Feb. isn't a problem for our weather at that time. It'll be 47 so it's up to NFL to decide whether that's feasible or not. I think it is.
For the tenth time, the argument was that the Chiefs could host it when it's an 18 GAME SEASON...which puts the Super Bowl on FEB-RU-ARY 20TH OR 21ST.

Temperature forecast:

2/20- 61 degree's and sunny.
2/21- 64 degree's and cloudy
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

Yes, theoretically Kansas City in late February could make for tolerable Super Bowl weather, but the NFL is not going to take that chance. New York was one thing, but they are not going to put the game in an outdoor stadium in a city like KC. The rest of the country would literally be laughing about the fact no one would want to come to KC for the game. Do you remember how much flack Detroit caught when it hosted the game in a dome? We’re getting the draft, I’m not saying we have to settle, but sometimes you have to admit that you’re not one of the Kardashian sisters, you’re just that brother who gets to hang around for the ride.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CorneliusFB wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:26 pm Yes, theoretically Kansas City in late February could make for tolerable Super Bowl weather, but the NFL is not going to take that chance. New York was one thing, but they are not going to put the game in an outdoor stadium in a city like KC. The rest of the country would literally be laughing about the fact no one would want to come to KC for the game. Do you remember how much flack Detroit caught when it hosted the game in a dome? We’re getting the draft, I’m not saying we have to settle, but sometimes you have to admit that you’re not one of the Kardashian sisters, you’re just that brother who gets to hang around for the ride.
I agree that probably KC wouldn't get it because they're worried about the 15% chance it gets really cold. And there's too much money on the line to chance it. However, if we go indoor, then yeah, we're gonna host one. Although I do believe the chances are overblown for it being cold here on Feb. 21st.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Just dropping by to mention it's supposed to snow on the 23rd. :P
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Yeah but it'll be a hot snow, perfect for hosting a Super Bowl
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Also last February 13-15 the temperatures were 3, 0, -4 respectively, with brownouts and snow.

I love KCMO. But without a dome, we aren't getting a Superbowl.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sorry I fired this back up. We shouldn't get a super bowl unless we can dome the whole metro.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:17 am sorry I fired this back up. We shouldn't get a super bowl unless we can dome the whole metro.
Yeah, it's just pointless to argue about...it'll just be every "Joined in 2003" account saying "were not worthy to host!!" even with a dome, and just a stupid fight.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I think any city with an NFL stadium is "worthy" of hosting and that the NFL only favoring domes or warm-weather climates is stupid, I just also think that if you tell the NFL that KC should host a Super Bowl because the average temperature around February 20 is 47 degrees, you'll be laughed out of the room. What you think is "not cold" and what the NFL and the corporate executives buying tickets to the Super Bowl think is "not cold" are not the same -- never mind that the weather in KC is erratic and unpredictable, and that 47 degree figure is a result of averaging out the years when it was 67 degrees against the years when it was 27 degrees. "47 degrees on any given February 20" is not a valid forecast.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KC getting the draft was them saying you're never going to get a super bowl but thanks for helping out host games in other countries.