Ward Parkway Mall just sighed up

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ward Parkway Center

Post by dangerboy »

watcher64110 wrote: it seems lot of native KCers seem to think if they see greater than 2% black patrons that the place is doomed to go the way of Bannister Mall.  Sad.  (Of course they are too polite to say it directly in this part of the country...they ask "do you feel safe there".   Huh?  As safe as I feel anywhere else, lol!  Really.) 
This.  Exactly.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I really hope you're wrong. I know we have a lot of history to overcome, but I prefer to think that this will only be really f*cking difficult. The situation you describe makes it sould impossible.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Watcher's summary could apply to all of race relations in KC.  "Do you feel safe there?" or "is it safe?" is code for "is it too black?" that applies to neighborhoods and schools as well as shopping malls.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

dangerboy wrote: Watcher's summary could apply to all of race relations in KC.  "Do you feel safe there?" or "is it safe?" is code for "is it too black?" that applies to neighborhoods and schools as well as shopping malls.
probably not confined to just Kansas City.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think sadly,  much of the metro thinks "Kansas City = black = unsafe."

I dare say you'll see as high or higher percentage of African-Americans at Oak Park Mall or Independence Center than Ward Parkway. But its in Kansas City, which for many (including our fine news outlets) is right by the ghetto, therefore it is black and unsafe.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

KCMax wrote: I think sadly,  much of the metro thinks "Kansas City = black = unsafe."

I dare say you'll see as high or higher percentage of African-Americans at Oak Park Mall or Independence Center than Ward Parkway. But its in Kansas City, which for many (including our fine news outlets) is right by the ghetto, therefore it is black and unsafe.
And it's bizarre.  I really don't understand how one could drive down Ward Parkway and say, with a straight face, "Yep, totally ghetto." Even the parts that aren't Brookside/Armour Fields/etc. are pretty negligibly ghettofied. 
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Jess wrote: And it's bizarre.  I really don't understand how one could drive down Ward Parkway and say, with a straight face, "Yep, totally ghetto." Even the parts that aren't Brookside/Armour Fields/etc. are pretty negligibly ghettofied. 
Here's your first mistake, assuming that people actually go to these places before writing them off as ghetto.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

^And you are assuming that most people travel to the mall from the north, and not the more modest-looking areas from the south, west, or east...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

wow, if Staples can't make it in that location, not not sure what will.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

One of the reasons Staples called it quits at Ward Pkway was that the landlords would not fix water and mold problems. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Well I am sure there will be lots of quality tennants lining up to get the space despite the unfixed water and mold problems.  &&&&  Seriously - I would think that in this commercial real estate environment you would want to do everything in your power to hang on to the tenants you have - especially national tenants like these. 
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

dangerboy wrote: ^And you are assuming that most people travel to the mall from the north, and not the more modest-looking areas from the south, west, or east...
Not really.  I drove there myself from north only when we were living on the Plaza, but in recent years, I drove from the east, Santa Fe Hills area of Waldo, which doesn't scream ghetto, either.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New York & Co. will close January 23

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1663999.html

tacorn
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tacorn »

My wife said there's a sign up for the new Five Guys. Construction is under way!
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

When is Trader Joes gonna open?>
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

redperro wrote: When is Trader Joes gonna open?>
Opening sometime between July and Sept.

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 39#p459339

Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

The former Dillard's department store and parking garage at Ward Parkway Center will soon be demolished to clear the way for new businesses.
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/11/27 ... -ward.html

A Best Buy would be great here. Also, a JCPenney or Kohl's would probably fit the mould pretty well.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Stockton wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/11/27 ... -ward.html

A Best Buy would be great here. Also, a JCPenney or Kohl's would probably fit the mould pretty well.
I don't completely see the need for a 1% CID tax for what is now almost entirely a big box center. Seriously, what would that be spent on?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote: I don't completely see the need for a 1% CID tax for what is now almost entirely a big box center. Seriously, what would that be spent on?
Clean, safe and desirable.

Such as: Safety Ambassadors (security), cleaning, snow removal, landscaping, marketing.

It's simply passing on the costs for these items to the customer, rather than making it part of the rent/common area maintenance charges to the retailer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: I don't completely see the need for a 1% CID tax for what is now almost entirely a big box center. Seriously, what would that be spent on?
I agree with this.  Sales taxes are sky high in metro KC (much higher than anything I see out here) and that is a major reason why it will be nearly impossible to ever fund light rail etc.  Why is retail so heavily subsidized in KC?  Even most of the suburban shopping centers are heavily subsized, that's why there so much retail blight in KC.  It's out of control.