OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Briarcliff Village

Post by nota »

justin8216 wrote: I read the new Tivolis got all their windows busted out the week after they opened.
Your point? That's old news and has already been posted.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

nota wrote: WOW! I missed this one altogether.

Green Acres Market opens
They had an insert in yesterday's Star. I got it down here in NE JoCo, so they must be trying to draw from more than just Downtown and the Northland.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

nota wrote: WOW! I missed this one altogether.

Green Acres Market opens
They have a great web site with links to nutrition and fitness information.

How are prices?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

greenmarket looks great!

i'll definitely have to check it out.

briarcliff village seems pretty sweet.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

zlohban wrote: They have a great web site with links to nutrition and fitness information.

How are prices?
Speaking of fitness......we made our 2nd Saturday morning trip to the Pastry Goodness........mmmmm.  It is so good.....but I can't forget my little German Pastry shop on North Oak, Wally's, it is worth the trip.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

nota wrote: Your point? That's old news and has already been posted.
The point is that people might have some safety concerns at Briarcliff Village and may want to use this information to help them be aware and protect themselves. It is a somewhat secluded location from other development. If such things can happen without anyone noticing until later, what else could happen there without being noticed until later. Kidnappings? Rapes?  The owner needs to take action now before it gets out of hand by installing survelliance cameras and security patrols to deter such activity in the future.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

justin8216 wrote: The point is that people might have some safety concerns at Briarcliff Village and may want to use this information to help them be aware and protect themselves. It is a somewhat secluded location from other development. If such things can happen without anyone noticing until later, what else could happen there without being noticed until later. Kidnappings? Rapes?  The owner needs to take action now before it gets out of hand by installing survelliance cameras and security patrols to deter such activity in the future.
I'm going to assume that you're joking here because you can't be serious.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

^^^
He's not joking he's what do you call it trolling / baiting, I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned the reported rapes at O'Dowds in Zona Rosa.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

in the classifieds section of the pitch this week, there's a help wanted ad for Trezo Mare Ristorante, "an independently owned seafood restaurant and lounge" that is "opening mid-November" at briarcliff village.

http://www.trezomare.com/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went to briarcliff today thinking we might be able to kill a few hours... nada. the only place to eat was the bakery (none of the real restaurants were open as of yet). fine, we thought, we'll just walk around and window shop for a bit... nada. the place is just a strip mall with a bad french faux-paint finish. there is no welcoming entrance to the opposite side (which is for the non-retail businesses) and the restaurants are surrounded by surface lots. we left after 20 minutes and drove directly to zona rosa. we will probably never return.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

How about some truth in advertising for a change in this marketing-guru bullshitterous culture. Instead of Briarcliff Village it should be called Briarcliff Strip Mall Gulag.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Tosspot wrote: How about some truth in advertising for a change in this marketing-guru bullshitterous culture. Instead of Briarcliff Village it should be called Briarcliff Strip Mall Gulag.
yup...

ive been there many times, jsut to realize it IS a stripmall with fancy building facades
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Fan »

im2kull wrote: yup...

ive been there many times, jsut to realize it IS a stripmall with fancy building facades
I haven't seen many stripmalls with full concrete/steel beam construction, 2nd level office space, separate buildings for restaurants, coffee shop, Nell Hill's (coming next fall), Tivol etc.  But that's just me.  I know the architects in this project and they spent a TON of money building this development and it is a far cry from some of the strip malls I've worked in down in Overland Park (single story wood frame construction with everything in one strip, hence the name strip mall). 

No, it's not a huge development, but it was never intended to be a huge development like Zona Rosa.  It is intended to provide much-needed ammenities to the office workers and residents in this area and to attract unique boutique-style tenants.  They are accomplishing these goals with incredible success.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Yes, it's a strip mall.  So what?  It's not downtown.  It's not out of place.  It's a nice addition to the area and it is nicely done for what it is.

We went up there on Saturday as well.  Even though just over half the stores were open, the place was packed.  We had a great panini for lunch at Pastry Goddess, then spent some time checking out the stores.  Most of the stuff I didn't care for - more female-oriented.  But the liquor store was nice and so was the art gallery.  Surprisingly, we found several pieces of art that we liked that were really reasonably priced.  The newly relocated Urban Arts & Crafts is really great.  We checked out the grocery store too.  It's not quite 100% yet, but it was hoppin'.  Like a miniature Whole Foods.  Entire stock appeared to be natural/organic.  Probably won't be my primary grocery, but is a nice supplement to the Sun Fresh and Price Chopper.

We'll be going back soon to eat at Piropos and Trezo Mare when it opens.  Also, the Cafe, which will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They're not targeting the young/urban/hip demographic.  But they have done a nice job assembling a unique mix of tenants, most of whom are local.  I have no doubt this project will be quite successful - even if Tosspot doesn't ever shop there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the greenmarket will become my primary grocer in t-minus 2 weeks.  8) 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sorry to come off so negative with my earlier post. i guess i had it in my head that it would have a more compact and urban feel, considering that many of the tenants either moved from the core or at least a more intimate setting. i will probably still eat at piropos on occasion and the market is indeed a very nice alternative to sunfresh until the downtown market opens next year. i still believe strongly that the developers missed an opportunity to make it a "best of both worlds" mixed use that was friendly to pedestrians AND autos.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: i still believe strongly that the developers missed an opportunity to make it a "best of both worlds" mixed use that was friendly to pedestrians AND autos.
well, it was done by RED, the Sauron of local developers!  their resume is a who's who of awful beige strip centers, including SummitWoods, which is the worst place of all time.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: well, it was done by RED, the Sauron of local developers!  their resume is a who's who of awful beige strip centers, including SummitWoods, which is the worst place of all time.
I believe RED was involved in some part of the leasing process, but it isn't a full-fledged RED project like Legends or BarryWoods.
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Holiday Lighting Ceremony

Post by KC_Fan »

Briarcliff is having a Holiday Lighting Ceremony this Sunday starting at 5:30pm.  There will be high school choirs singing carols, free hot cider, cocoa and cookies and a fireworks display at 7pm. 
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

DaveKCMO wrote: sorry to come off so negative with my earlier post. i guess i had it in my head that it would have a more compact and urban feel, considering that many of the tenants either moved from the core or at least a more intimate setting. i will probably still eat at piropos on occasion and the market is indeed a very nice alternative to sunfresh until the downtown market opens next year. i still believe strongly that the developers missed an opportunity to make it a "best of both worlds" mixed use that was friendly to pedestrians AND autos.
Don't sweat it bro.  It's gonna take a little while for this place to really turn into what they planned it to be.  I knew it would be kinda lame at the beginning.  Which is why I still haven't bothered to check it out since it's grand opening.  Zona Rosa took about a year or so before it really started rolling.

Speaking of Zona Rosa, it looks like things are starting to happen in Phase II again.  They had the back entrance blocked off and dirt is once again being pushed around.