IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote:KC's store will serve the nearly 3 million people in the immediate region plus Omaha, Wichita etc and for the time being Columbia, Springfield and some in StL till StL gets a store.

Although this talk of it being KC's "first" store is kind of odd. KC will never get a second IKEA unless it adds 3-4 million more people.

Since you like to discuss the Missouri/Kansas issue and particular to KC shouldn't you say "Merriam" instead of KC?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Hmmmm, interesting.

Nothing on my shoe?

Where is that coming from?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Since you like to discuss the Missouri/Kansas issue and particular to KC shouldn't you say "Merriam" instead of KC?

Why? The news has been reporting this story as "Kansas get its first IKEA" all day.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Grid has this thing for KS but refers to the IKEA as being KC's.

I wasn't referring to the reporting, just to Grid's comments.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

We need a troll emoticon
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kboish wrote:We need a troll emoticon
=D>
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

GRID wrote:KC's store will serve the nearly 3 million people in the immediate region plus Omaha, Wichita etc and for the time being Columbia, Springfield and some in StL till StL gets a store.

Although this talk of it being KC's "first" store is kind of odd. KC will never get a second IKEA unless it adds 3-4 million more people.

I'm not following you. I'm the one that thinks the entire KC area is "KC". Sure, I think the cultural attractions are and pretty much should remain in the urban core of KCMO, but the entire area of KC is one metro. People that say they are from Kansas or Overland Park instead of "KC" or people in the suburbs of KC that hate the city are morons. I also don't agree with the business poaching. Merriam didn't poach IKEA from KCMO, so why would I flip a 180 here?

This IKEA will be worse than NFM on weekends with all the KU wearing KS freaks shopping there though :mrgreen: sorry, had to get that in there. I'll just avoid the place for the first 5-6 years it's open, IKEAs SUCK when they are busy, I can only imagine how much they suck when they are super busy and full of people that have never been in one before. Sounds like torture.

But good for KC. Good location.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Speaking of KS vs MO, there are a bunch of butthurt people in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... #f1317cbab

View the article comments.
Last edited by KCLover on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCLover wrote:Speaking of KS vs MO, there are a bunch of butthurt people in St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... #f1317cbab
yea, they are pissed lol.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

GRID wrote:

I'm not following you. I'm the one that thinks the entire KC area is "KC". Sure, I think the cultural attractions are and pretty much should remain in the urban core of KCMO, but the entire area of KC is one metro. People that say they are from Kansas or Overland Park instead of "KC" or people in the suburbs of KC that hate the city are morons. I also don't agree with the business poaching. Merriam didn't poach IKEA from KCMO, so why would I flip a 180 here?

This IKEA will be worse than NFM on weekends with all the KU wearing KS freaks shopping there though :mrgreen: sorry, had to get that in there. I'll just avoid the place for the first 5-6 years it's open, IKEAs SUCK when they are busy, I can only imagine how much they suck when they are super busy and full of people that have never been in one before. Sounds like torture.

It's kind of like the Kaleidoscope- follow just the path.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

msgsports thinks you are a bad poster.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

GRID wrote:I'm not following you. I'm the one that thinks the entire KC area is "KC". Sure, I think the cultural attractions are and pretty much should remain in the urban core of KCMO, but the entire area of KC is one metro. People that say they are from Kansas or Overland Park instead of "KC" or people in the suburbs of KC that hate the city are morons.
Just that in the past you have done so much Kansas bashing. Even in your post you couldn't get away from it (People that say they are from Kansas or Overland Park instead of "KC" or people in the suburbs of KC that hate the city are morons.) If people from Overland Park Kansas say they are from Kansas why are they morons? Don't forget about the number of times you have posted and are upset when you tell a person you from KC and they associate it with the state of Kansas. It is almost like you are insulted being associated with Kansas.

By the way you are not the only "one" who thinks of the entire KC area is "KC". KC proper and its suburbs are mutually dependent on each other, whether each party likes it or not. It is KC One. Yeah, the business poaching is a bummer but KC proper is doing its fair share now so it shouldn't be calling the kettle black now.

Anyway, feel free to reply and get in the last shot.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'm sorry, this Version does not support nuance. Please try again.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Thinking about this more, MO will benefit from it coming to Ikea in KS.

We know people come from long distance for an Ikea. It's a fact about the chain.

A certain percentage of them will do it as a part of a bigger trip.
Sure, some people will go to the speedway or a Sporting KC game but a large number will go to the P&L district, to the Plaza, to Legoland and the like. MO has more major attractions overall than KS still.

So an Ikea in KS is a good thing for the whole region, no doubt.

MO doesn't want an Ikea. We want something better. We want to be the place that has the hotels for people going to Ikea. A hotel tax rate is higher than sales taxes. They also benefit the region as a whole. If Ikea could draw enough weekend traffic that a new downtown hotel suddenly is worth it that would be killer for the city.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote:

I agree. It's a great location for IKEA. I think it is great that Kansas can attract companies from out of state when it tiries rather than poach from KCMO. IKEA will make more money for Kansas from the sales tax it generates than all the absurd AMC type deals combined.

IKEA's can be miserable places when busy. Not a place I want to spend a Saturday. When we moved back to the US, we visited IKEA for furnishings for our kids's room. Not only is movement in the store practically impossible on a busy Saturday but trying to get a vehicle to a loading dock to pick up merchandise was an experience requirieng a lot of patience. I witnessed a shoving match that turned into short fist fight over a loading dock space and drivers were extremely aggressive trying to get their cars into spaces other cars were already pulling into to. Hopefully, Kansas Citians can be more civil than assinine Houstonites but, while I actually like IKEA furniture* and deals, I hated the experience of shopping there. I limit it to late on weeknights when the crowds are minimal.

*The furniture isn't great for areas of the house used for entertaining, but it's nice for bedrooms and studies.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Apparently, St. Louis thinks KC gets all the cool stuff.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 0f31a.html
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

flyingember wrote:
MO doesn't want an Ikea. We want something better.
Can't tell if serious. I'll assume not.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:Apparently, St. Louis thinks KC gets all the cool stuff.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 0f31a.html
There were some pretty big assumptions in this column, especially the comments about Google. Why would the UMKC guy say that we have been unsuccessful getting fiber to people who don't have it?
“When the community pushes for access for people who don't have it, that doesn't happen, at least not so far. It could give us an advantage in some information technology areas, but I think it's transitory.”
Transitory I can buy, but seeing as how only around a few dozen homes probably have Google Fiber, it isn't really fair to say we have been unsuccessful in spreading fiber to new areas. The efforts from community activists and those on this very forum are proof (to me) that qualifying certain hoods was a win in this arena.

Also, what leads STL to think that they would be targeted for Google Fiber within a reasonable timeframe? At Google's current pace, the very earliest one would expect a rollout there would probably be closer to 5 years (that number is pulled from thin air). This will remain a metro-wide advantage until STL finds another company to rollout similar speeds or until STL waits out the clock on a very unpredictable Google. Probably more consideration than this article deserves, though. It is one of those backhanded complement articles that is really just written to motivate people in STL to keep the city what is in their minds better than KC.
pharmd
Pad site
Pad site

Post by pharmd »

Merriam advances planning for IKEA store
Before the Merriam City Council meeting on Nov. 17, affected property owners within 200 feet of the proposed zone will receive letters stating that the destination retail store is being proposed. This could affect single-family houses to the east, businesses to the north, and institutional parks and city buildings to the south and southeast.

“Everyone will get a chance to look at those plans and say whether or not they like it,” Lammers said.
Still, IKEA — with its devoted following — brings singular considerations. Its new store in Centennial, Colo., forced that city to explore traffic-mitigation efforts.

Merriam recently completed a traffic study, which will be released later, but currently there are no proposed changes for the nearby intersection at Eby Avenue and Johnson Drive. Officials believe that planning efforts made years ago were adequate to support the influx of traffic to the store.

“The beauty of the project is that most of the work in terms of public infrastructure was done years ago,” Lammers said.

One thing is clear: Much work remains to be done, including determining the project’s overall cost and tax incentives.