One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by KCPowercat »

Oak should just be turned into bus and running and biking route. So much space. Never used.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

NBCactionnews last night had a segment on the 10:00 newscast last night regarding increased downtown development. The reporter mentioned two new 32-story apartment buildings last night, with no further details - I gather one of them is the one at 13th/Walnut, but don't remember hearing about another proposal. What am I missing?

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news ... ance-in-KC

Two 32-floor high-rise apartment complexes are coming later in the year.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sounds like bad reporting. there's only one AFAIK, unless they consider the potential conversion of 911 main to residential.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

until the business journal reports it, I wouldn't count on it.

they've been doing a great job recently on KC development related news. I bet they have one of the smallest staff's yet manage to beat out all the big names in KC on the quality of reporting
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So I emailed the reporter on the story, Amy Hawley, yesterday for clarification and here's her response:

Yeah, one high rise is at Walnut. Power and Light (Cordish) is also building one and I believe they'll break ground this fall. There's also a third smaller apartment complex but I can't remember where and they said that would be located.
My sources Sean O'Byrne - Downtown Council.
Thanks for watching!!!

Bang-up job, Ms Hawley - I believe you reported the same tower twice!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote:So I emailed the reporter on the story, Amy Hawley, yesterday for clarification and here's her response:

Yeah, one high rise is at Walnut. Power and Light (Cordish) is also building one and I believe they'll break ground this fall. There's also a third smaller apartment complex but I can't remember where and they said that would be located.
Thanks for watching!!!

Oh man, I like her and she seems to do a good job as far as I'm aware, but that's pretty funny stuff. Did you at least have the kindness to clear it up for her? I expect the "smaller apartment complex" is the Midland building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

you know the article is well written when someone doesn't fact check....

it's like all the articles where the media puts
I-70 and I-435
I-35 Antioch Road
I-35 and I-435
without bothering to say which state.

If you look at a map you'll notice those three locations all happen twice in the KC area. And yes, the Star alone has done all three.

I recently caught an article where the mentioned an accident blocked lanes on an interstate but didn't bother to ask where people could go. It's almost like they don't want to do traffic reports more than halfway. it's the equivalent of saying "traffic is blocked one direction on I-70" without saying which direction.

It's just plain lazy of the reporter
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

smh wrote:
kcjak wrote:So I emailed the reporter on the story, Amy Hawley, yesterday for clarification and here's her response:

Thanks for watching!!!

Oh man, I like her and she seems to do a good job as far as I'm aware, but that's pretty funny stuff. Did you at least have the kindness to clear it up for her? I expect the "smaller apartment complex" is the Midland building.
I did reply back that the 18th/Walnut tower IS being developed by Cordish and believe that the two towers in her story are actually the same single tower. I also thanked her for her reporting of development activity in the central city :)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote:
smh wrote:

Thanks for watching!!!

I did reply back that the 18th/Walnut tower IS being developed by Cordish and believe that the two towers in her story are actually the same single tower. I also thanked her for her reporting of development activity in the central city :)

Now you are confusing me...18th? you mean 13th i'm sure.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yes, 13th not 18th.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

OK further clarification from Amy:

I just called Sean. There are three residential complexes total: two lower rise and one 32 story. One's at 13th and Baltimore, 13th and Walnut and in the River Market.

I asked Sean about that twice - but somehow the lines of communication were crossed. I will change that error when I return to the station - hate inaccuracies.

Thanks for the clarification! Write if you ever have story ideas!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I thought Cordish Tower was to be 24 floors - 32 will give a little more prominence in the skyline. Will be nice to see a hirise crane within next year. Any rendering showing 32 floors?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:I thought Cordish Tower was to be 24 floors - 32 will give a little more prominence in the skyline. Will be nice to see a hirise crane within next year. Any rendering showing 32 floors?
The original proposal was 32 floors when they were going to do the hotel/condos i thought. when they decided to go to rental only the went down to 24-- at least thats my understanding. Would love it if they decide to do 32!

13th and Baltimore is the Midland conversion.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

it's 23 stories. a tiny difference but an important detail
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Does anyone know when work will start on this tower? I thought they would have broken ground by now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LCDSI wrote:Does anyone know when work will start on this tower? I thought they would have broken ground by now.
no one knows yet and not remotely likely

it hasn't even been approved yet by the council. the project moved a baby step in March. you don't go from an early stage step to breaking ground in 4 months on a $70 million project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rward.html
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; here's an updated image of the proposed apartment tower on the architect website. Interesting that they have a name on the tower called one light. i'm wondering if cordish is setting this up to have multiple towers...(e.g. two light, three light) etc.

http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/power-light/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

LCDSI wrote:fyi; here's an updated image of the proposed apartment tower on the architect website. Interesting that they have a name on the tower called one light. i'm wondering if cordish is setting this up to have multiple towers...(e.g. two light, three light) etc.

http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/power-light/

For easy reference

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I'm counting 25 stories on the rendering.

It also looks a little taller than the H&R tower which is nice.
I'm trying to figure out what the height would be, but not sure. Thinking about the same height as Wallstreet tower?