Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Post by bobbyhawks »

Wow.  I'm going to go ahead and book my travel to the Middle East, where it will be 100 degrees at night and I cannot drink without first applying for a pass, and if I am caught with alcohol outside the hotel will be sent to prison.  That will be a terrific place to be for the World Cup.  Nothing says history like a 20 year old city in the sand.&&& 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Sorry, I think I was confusing Doha with Dubai.  Though I did learn that Qatar had a population of about 400k 20 years ago.  They almost have half as many people as Kansas now!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hope fifa enjoys losing some huge sponsors like a-b.  Will Qatar even allow alcohol ads?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote: Hope fifa enjoys losing some huge sponsors like a-b.  Will Qatar even allow alcohol ads?
They will probably have to once they realize how expensive it is to air condition 10+ stadiums for 4+ weeks in 120 degree heat.  Either that or the price of gas will conveniently go up.  I'd bet that many US companies would be afraid of the PR from advertising in a country that represses women.  Lord knows what changes will happen both in Russia and in the Middle East by then.  I hope there won't be a circumstance where certain countries pull out of the event.

How exciting it will be for fans to hang out in hotels all day if they want to drink, make their way to a 120 degree tailgate(?) for pre-game, then sit inside an artificially cooled stadium.  Sounds like a great way to spend 10 Gs.  Japan's promise to beem the games in 3d sounds better than this.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Bag of suck today. Horrible decision in 2022.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Alcohol consumption will be allowed in specific "fan zones" in Qatar, although I don't know if that means in the actual stadium or in festivals outside the staidum.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

But what about hookers and gambling?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Would it be safe to assume that 2026 is nearly a sure thing now?  FIFA has a rule, for now, that says that countries from regions who have hosted the last two world cups cannot bid which eliminates all of Europe and Asia.  Of course I'm sure by the time 2026 voting will come around FIFA will change the rules again allowing for "western" European countries to bid for 2026 else the only options will be USA/Canada/Mexico, South America (hosting 2014), or New Zealand.

I'd like to see our leaders, both locally and nationally, maybe use 2026 as a rally to improve infrastructure that has been needed for 10 years.  High speed rail connecting all sites, better transit locally here in KC, etc.  Use it as a catalyst to get things done.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shaffe wrote: Would it be safe to assume that 2026 is nearly a sure thing now?  FIFA has a rule, for now, that says that countries from regions who have hosted the last two world cups cannot bid which eliminates all of Europe and Asia.  Of course I'm sure by the time 2026 voting will come around FIFA will change the rules again allowing for "western" European countries to bid for 2026 else the only options will be USA/Canada/Mexico, South America (hosting 2014), or New Zealand.

I'd like to see our leaders, both locally and nationally, maybe use 2026 as a rally to improve infrastructure that has been needed for 10 years.  High speed rail connecting all sites, better transit locally here in KC, etc.  Use it as a catalyst to get things done.
Australia put in a strong bid this time around and I would bet they might try to "open new markets" in places like that or Canada. But yea, you make a good case for USA, but I'll be in my 50s by the time that World Cup takes place.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCMax wrote: Australia put in a strong bid this time around and I would bet they might try to "open new markets" in places like that or Canada. But yea, you make a good case for USA, but I'll be in my 50s by the time that World Cup takes place.
In 2006 Australia moved to the Asian federation, so I think they would be out for now.  Of course I fully expect that rule to be changed back once FIFA realizes it excludes all of Europe proper as well as China, Japan, and Australia from bidding on the 2026 Cup.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I could see other quality bids from Mexico and Argentina.  The problem is that FIFA will have to reorganize by then due to population and growth of leagues around the globe.  So the Asian Confederation will probably be split into smaller segments, meaning China will be in play, and I know FIFA wants them some China. Qatar... seriously?  And hardcore football fans in Europe will be irate that they have to wait 24 years (from 2006 to 2030) before they can host another World Cup in a proper European country, unless you consider Russia to be properly European.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: But what about hookers and gambling?
Men outnumber women in Qatar by 3.5 - 1 so hookers might be hard to find.  As for gambling, just driving in Qatar is a gamble although I understand things have gotten better since they instituted the highest fines on the planet for traffic infractions. 

What a horrible idea to give Qatar the World Cup.  There are only two sizable cities in the country so it's difficult to imagine what the venues will be.  Also, isn't the world cup mandated to the summer months?  As a frequent visitor to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, that part of the world becomes almost inhospitable for the average westerner by April (and it's not picnic before that).  Temperatures can be 120 in the shade and it's remarkably humid for an arid locale.  I am a fit person and walking around Abu Dhabi in May made me physically ill.  I can't imagine how the average alcohol-dehydrated soccer fan from Britain is going to fare.  While Qatar is far more liberal than the average Persian Gulf country (don't call it Persian Gulf in Qatar), it is still quite a ways behind the UAE although I understand they are pretty far advanced with respect to women's rights.  To be fair, Qatar is trying to become the next Dubai and they have advanced quite a ways in that regard and they are the home to Al Jazeera and many global companies and they do host a myriad of sporting events but I think something like the world cup is a lot more than they can chew at this point. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Qatar is building new air conditioned facilities for this. 

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Qatar is building new air conditioned facilities for this. 
Yes, I know that.  But, the little time people necassarily spend outdoors will be hell and the air-conditioned buildings I've frequented struggle to remain cool and can get downright uncomfortable at times. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I agree, just from your posts about facilities and heat wasn't sure if you had heard that yet.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Oh I agree, just from your posts about facilities and heat wasn't sure if you had heard that yet.
Sorry for the tone, Bobbyhawks had mentioned it earlier.  
bobbyhawks wrote: They will probably have to once they realize how expensive it is to air condition 10+ stadiums for 4+ weeks in 120 degree heat.  Either that or the price of gas will conveniently go up.  I'd bet that many US companies would be afraid of the PR from advertising in a country that represses women.  Lord knows what changes will happen both in Russia and in the Middle East by then.  I hope there won't be a circumstance where certain countries pull out of the event.
Qatar's natural gas reserves are mind-boggling.  I'm sure that's how they plan on cooling the stadiums.  As far as women go, it's probably the most liberal Arab state in the gulf region (with regards to women's rights, not necassarily with regard to western "decadence").  I think the biggest issues will be the small size of the country (can they really pull this off) and climate (see my earlier post).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Gas_in_Qatar
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I didn't know they were more liberal towards women's rights.  That is good to hear. 

On a side note, this will be the greenest World Cup ever!&&&  The 12 AC'd stadiums will all be open air!  The stadiums are being built for one event only and probably cannot be sustained after the event.  If you do get a chance to look, the designs are quite amazing, not unlike much of the opulance that oil has afforded Qatar and the UAE.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Men outnumber women in Qatar by 3.5 - 1 so hookers might be hard to find.  As for gambling, just driving in Qatar is a gamble although I understand things have gotten better since they instituted the highest fines on the planet for traffic infractions. 
Yeah, they usually import them in bulk for the WC from what I understand.  Given that WC fans usually travel as stag trips, this is an amenity right up there with alchohol on the must have list for fans. 
bobbyhawks wrote: IThe 12 AC'd stadiums will all be open air!  The stadiums are being built for one event only and probably cannot be sustained after the event.
They are building them modular and have promissed to pay to have them reassembled in third world countries that cannot afford to build there own. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I know I read somewhere that they are planning to use a significant amount of solar energy to power the enormous outdoor AC.  Seriously, though, my mom must be having a heart attack.  She was always asking us if we were trying to air condition the great outdoors if we stood for a millisecond with the door open during the summer.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: They are building them modular and have promissed to pay to have them reassembled in third world countries that cannot afford to build there own. 
Even greener.  Build giant structures, then have them disassembled and shipped hundreds or thousands of miles away.  At least that is better than just letting them rot away, I guess.
heatherkay wrote: I know I read somewhere that they are planning to use a significant amount of solar energy to power the enormous outdoor AC. 
It almost sounds like they are promising to use technology which doesn't exist yet.  You'd think if putting a sustainable outdoor AC unit (as they claim) were feasible, Jerry Jones would have it in Cowboy's Stadium.  Most of this stuff is still just theory, and they never had to deliver any logistical details as to how 12 stadiums would turn into 22 stadiums when modularly disassembled and shipped across the Middle East.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662812/qat ... -slideshow