The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by WoodDraw »

Let's not pretend most people actually spend the money for the membership either.  Most people go there for a day with some friends to hang around a pool side bar.  Who cares?  Like KCP said, it's a new option.  I hope they have fun and keep coming back downtown to enjoy other places. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Nobody saying it's typical...but people blow tons of money on what others find stupid is what I'm saying.  OK, maybe the people aren't like you that hang out here...so now those people are stupid, d-bags, sluts, etc? 

I don't hang out with bikers (for example)....I still don't find the need to call people, of which I've experienced many with horrible attitudes,  with $20k H-D, $1k tats, $$$ in bike "gear" names.....so what encourages people on this site 'talk down' to people they don't hang with?

it's a new option in entertainment....some don't like it...cool....some do.
To me it is much more of a generational thing and I am sure that it is going to make me sound like a massive fuddy duddy but I don't really care.  To me the Jones Ultra Pool embodies everything that is wrong with Gen Y.  As someone from the latter end of Gen X, I look at the youth culture today and see a vapid generation that is being raised to celebrate superficiality and air-headedness on an unprecedented level, along with a massive sense of entitlement and dependence on their parents.  A generation who's greatest ambition is to live life as an continuous episode of The Hills.  A generation whose most memorable cultural contributions will be chronic fake tanning, giant sunglasses, fauxhawks, and really piss-poor pop music.  A generation whose memorable icons will be Ashton Kutcher and Lindsay Lohan.  Sure there are older folks that try to fit into this group in order to feel young and hip and I am sure there are dissaffected youth who can't identify with this generation one bit - especially poor kids who are cursed with skin that won't tan :P.  The Jones Ultra Pool is like the perfect Gen Y paradise - just don't be surprised that it makes many of us who grew up surrounded by flannel and Nirvana want to puke. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Were you shaking your fist and saying 'damn kids' in your mind as you typed? :)

Every older generation thinks that about the next...unless you think grunge and west coast rap was really endearing to the boomers.

Its a fun place...I have seen all ages up there.  It brings people downtown....hate it if you must.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Every older generation thinks that about the next...unless you think grunge and west coast rap was really endearing to the boomers.
No doubt - I am sure that if someone had tried to open a giant hippie hookah bar in DTKCMO circa '68, there would have been plenty of 30+ year olds muttering about how annoying and horrible it was that the place existed and what a cultural blight it was on the city.  Personally, I suspect that the hippie hookah bar will enjoy a much warmer memory in history than any Gen Y, big sunglass, pool bar ever will.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: To me the Jones Ultra Pool embodies everything that is wrong with Gen Y.  As someone from the latter end of Gen X, I look at the youth culture today and see a vapid generation that is being raised to celebrate superficiality and air-headedness on an unprecedented level, along with a massive sense of entitlement and dependence on their parents.  A generation who's greatest ambition is to live life as an continuous episode of The Hills.  A generation whose most memorable cultural contributions will be chronic fake tanning, giant sunglasses, fauxhawks, and really piss-poor pop music.  A generation whose memorable icons will be Ashton Kutcher and Lindsay Lohan. 
Woah, wait.  It's just a bar, next to a pool how does that = all these other things?  If I go to a bar next to a pool on a roof downtown that means I have a since of entitlement and dependence on my parents?  I don't like pretty much all the things you mentioned above either, but I don't see how this pool/bar directly contributes to that culture.  Don't fool yourself either.  Grunge culture is nothing to aspire.  I like Nirvana and flannel more than Gen Y stuff, but being dirty and doing Heroin is not the greatest life style either.  At least this place encourages fitness and health in some way (at least wanting to look good by the pool.)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Woah, wait.  It's just a bar, next to a pool how does that = all these other things? 
You couldn't come up with a venue better designed to attract and showcase the superficiality and image obssession that is a hallmark to this group.  Its a lot harder to show off your ridiculous sunglasses and tan at an indoor venue - but a pool is perfect.  If you are a young person intent on completely tuning out the fact that your generation is growing up in a time of two controversial wars and great economic and political upheaval what better place to go to than the pool?  Its the perfect diversion for those trying desperately to remain completely oblivious and uninvolved with anything remotely serious or challenging in the world. 
Midtownkid wrote: At least this place encourages fitness and health in some way (at least wanting to look good by the pool.)
I sure hope they come up with a cure for skin cancer before the Gen Yers hit their fifties. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

But Lenexa...I believe we are told that spray tan is completely safe!!

Have a lot of friends that go there frequently...I'd rather blow my brains out. Maybe has something to do with my weight.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If you are a young person intent on completely tuning out the fact that your generation is growing up in a time of two controversial wars and great economic and political upheaval what better place to go to than the pool?  Its the perfect diversion for those trying desperately to remain completely oblivious and uninvolved with anything remotely serious or challenging in the world. 
Oh come on!  Yes, people need to be concerned with what's going on and help in their own little way, but people always need a chance to relax and cut loose.  During Vietnam and all the social upheaval during the 60s and 70s people were involved...but also stoned and tripping and partying too.  I see your point with how it may be the perfect place for a 'Hills wannabe' to hangout, but I don't think everyone there is automatically one.  

On a different note.  If you are so above these people and that place, what are you doing to cope with the wars, economy, environmental problems?  How are you helping?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: On a different note.  If you are so above these people and that place, what are you doing to cope with the wars, economy, environmental problems?  How are you helping?
I am a pretty politically engaged person - but that isn't really the point.  This is "their time"; every historic period is defined by the culture and actions of its young people and I am no longer really young.  The boomers also grew up in a time of massive geopolitical drama and social complexity and for better or worse they seized it by the balls and put their stamp on it by getting massively involved and engaged.  Someday we will look back at this dramatic time in history, all of the challenges we faced, and what will the generation of the era have been doing?  - Sitting around oblivious, working on their tan at the ultra pool. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its just a bar.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Someday we will look back at this dramatic time in history, all of the challenges we faced, and what will the generation of the era have been doing?  - Sitting around oblivious, working on their tan at the ultra pool. 
You sound like my grandmother used to. I'd hate to look back at the challenges of our era and realize everything is fucked up because LenexatoKCMO spent all his time on useless message boards arguing about sports and bitching about "kids these days". Too bad you aren't doing more to help.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Its just a bar.
In the purest sense, of course it is.  But you seemed to be asking why people would get so particularly turned off by it.  My explanation is that the Jones' unique nature makes it highly symbolic of some aspects of current culture that go significantly beyond the typical "that's not my kind of place" reaction any ordinary old bar might typically elicit.  
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

as winter comes around, these same peoples will be sitting next to all of you in the theater, watching a flick .

Surrly they can't be any more dangerous then my generation driving around drunk, trippin on cid, partying in the back woods!

We all make our beds and have to sleep in them.

only the strong survive.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Actually my question is why many on this site deem everybody that doesn't hang out at the kcrag list of approved bars (grinders) a douchebag and slut.

Seems very closed minded for a group that is primarily focused on urban core growth and breaking down the stereotypes that brings with it.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: Actually my question is why many on this site deem everybody that doesn't hang out at the kcrag list of approved bars (grinders) a douchebag and slut.
this is not always the case.  only 75% of the time.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Actually my question is why many on this site deem everybody that doesn't hang out at the kcrag list of approved bars (grinders) a douchebag and slut.

Seems very closed minded for a group that is primarily focused on urban core growth and breaking down the stereotypes that brings with it.
Hey, by me just shitting all over "The Hills generation", I am sure you will suddenly find many more folks on here picking up the flag to defend the Jones and all it symbolises. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Someday we will look back at this dramatic time in history, all of the challenges we faced, and what will the generation of the era have been doing?  - Sitting around oblivious, working on their tan at the ultra pool. 
Has anyone ever seen the Graduate?  That was THE representative movie of the day (at least according to my Dad).  Also see the Last Picture Show/American Graffiti/Breaking Away/Garden State/Good Will Hunting/etc./etc./etc.  Song after song from Chuck Berry to the Eagles to the Beastie Boys to MGMT etc./etc./etc.  The issues may be different, but the struggle stays the same.  Growing up is tough and confusing. 

The Jones' has nothing to do with this.  It is a freaking pool.  People go to pools.  Pools are cool.  People drink.  People drink at cool pools.  You don't have to drink at cool pools if you don't want to.  You can sit on stools with fools while the tools drool at girls from Catholic schools in the cool pool.  Life is cruel.

I hope to never be a curmudgeony old man, but it is probably inevitable.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote: I hope to never be a curmudgeony old man, but it is probably inevitable.
I was born a curmudgeony old man - its best just to embrace it.  :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

This discussion is a lot stupider than something I would try to argue...
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

trailerkid wrote: This discussion is a lot stupider than something I would try to argue...
I'd say its about on par.  'Cosentino's is a racist establishment' was an interesting one.