hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by chrizow »

celebrated NYE in true KC fashion:  awesome 4-course dinner, sweaty arty warehouse dance party and fashion show in the bottoms, then home to hyde park at 2am to the sound of many, many celebratory skyward bullets ringing through the cold night air.  quality indeed.  got my first taste of a midtown nye...
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: celebrated NYE in true KC fashion:  awesome 4-course dinner, sweaty arty warehouse dance party and fashion show in the bottoms, then home to hyde park at 2am to the sound of many, many celebratory skyward bullets ringing through the cold night air.  quality indeed.  got my first taste of a midtown nye...
I have yet to hear the skyward midtown NYE bullets everyone speaks of, even though I lived in various apartments in south hyde park, longfellow, volker, & linwood/broadway over the past few years...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

voltopt wrote: I have yet to hear the skyward midtown NYE bullets everyone speaks of, even though I lived in various apartments in south hyde park, longfellow, volker, & linwood/broadway over the past few years...
When we lived at 53rd and Main we were stupified and mesmerized by the automatic weapons fire that we heard to the east of us each NYE.  Many, many, many.  To know that so many people were in possession of illegal and devastating weapons.  Stay safe Obama.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

loftguy wrote: When we lived at 53rd and Main we were stupified and mesmerized by the automatic weapons fire that we heard to the east of us each NYE.  Many, many, many.  To know that so many people were in possession of illegal and devastating weapons. 
yeah, i didn't want to sound crazy, but we heard a couple spirited bursts of automatic fire as well.  is this kc or uganda?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This year we moved to within a stone's through of Westport, and I noticed much less gunfire than in the last house where we were 500 feet from KCK. 
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Several years ago I got a bullet through my rear windshield NYE.  Car was parked on the street in front of my house around 63rd and Holmes.  My wife got in the car the next morning and closed the door.  The door shutting caused the rear windshield to fall in, she hadn't noticed the damage before shutting the door.  I looked around the car and found the bullet sitting on the "deck" behind the rear seats.  Called the police and was told I could file a report.  I asked if anything would be done if I did and the woman pretty much said No without really saying it.  I was pretty upset so I called a couple LIVE AND INVESTIGATIVE news outlets and they weren't even interested either.  I think I still have the bullet somewhere. 

It's crazy to me that people fire weapons in the air in a city and no one seems to think it's a problem.  I researched things back then and found all kinds of crack-down type measures other cities were taking but could barely find it even being acknowledged as a problem in KC. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Always heard what we thought were gun shots coming from/near Roanoke Park on NYE when I was growing up.  Half of those sounds could have been firecrackers etc though.
Auggy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Auggy »

Yepp- at 75th and Baltimore last year found a bullet in my upstairs bathroom- came in through the skylight.  

When I called to have it replaced, the guy told me it happens a lot, and that they can travel in the air from a few miles away.

Swell!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Surprised they aren't saving ammo for when Obama takes it all away.  :D
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

droopy wrote: Several years ago I got a bullet through my rear windshield NYE.  Car was parked on the street in front of my house around 63rd and Holmes.  My wife got in the car the next morning and closed the door.  The door shutting caused the rear windshield to fall in, she hadn't noticed the damage before shutting the door.  I looked around the car and found the bullet sitting on the "deck" behind the rear seats.  Called the police and was told I could file a report.  I asked if anything would be done if I did and the woman pretty much said No without really saying it.  I was pretty upset so I called a couple LIVE AND INVESTIGATIVE news outlets and they weren't even interested either.  I think I still have the bullet somewhere.  

It's crazy to me that people fire weapons in the air in a city and no one seems to think it's a problem.  I researched things back then and found all kinds of crack-down type measures other cities were taking but could barely find it even being acknowledged as a problem in KC. 
I was in Dallas for NYE and the news reports there were full of stories of people shooting firearms off at midnight...they even caught people (including women) shooting guns on hidden camera.  Despite the fact that they had people on camera and despite the fact that one station said there were in excess of 2,300 calls last year on gunshots on NYE, nothing was done.

And you know if you filed a police report on your car window and then turned the repair bill in to your insurance it would only count against you and the rates would rise. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

What would the police do about it?  How would they ever catch 2300 people committing the same crime at the exact same time?  The number of people firing guns is probably 10 times the number of police officers available to arrest them.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It's such a stupid New Years 'tradition' anyway.  Talk about hillbilly hicks... :x
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I find that any year I kick off by discharging a firearm goes drastically better than one without.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

dangerboy wrote: What would the police do about it?  How would they ever catch 2300 people committing the same crime at the exact same time?  The number of people firing guns is probably 10 times the number of police officers available to arrest them.
They don't have to arrest all of them. Arresting some of them and changing the probability of being arrested from zero to slim won't solve the problem, but it probably wouldn't hurt either.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

All those poor souls traumatized by wayward bullets on New Years. It is an epidemic! Best to start arresting people ASAP.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Midtownkid wrote: It's such a stupid New Years 'tradition' anyway.  Talk about hillbilly hicks... :x
Judging from the location of this in KC...Wouldn't think hillbillies would be to blame for this.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I just mean hillbilly behavior.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Judging from the location of this in KC...Wouldn't think hillbillies would be to blame for this.
Somebody needs to take you on a driving tour sometime, the east side has some large pockets of trailer parks that look like they were just lifted right out of the holler.  
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I know exactly what trailer parks you're talking about. But to say its not gangsters is naive and a stab at political correctness that I don't understand.
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm sure it is ghetto blacks and blvd Mexicans, too!  Still sounds like hillbilly behavior.  (That non-pc enough for you?!)