T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: That is a good sign. From my passive watching, it seemed like people weren't exploring much and Willie's was overwhelmed just because it was readily visible from the arena. I'm hoping the vicinity immediately to the north of the arena on Grand shapes up so that doesn't seem like a wall of no activity as people spill out into the streets.

I guess it will take some time for people to get used to downtown.
People are dumb. They will go to the easiest places to get to. That's why Starbucks builds stores across the street from existing stores. Willie's is probably going to turn into a Sprint Center tradition for fans and concert goers.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: People are dumb. They will go to the easiest places to get to. That's why Starbucks builds stores across the street from existing stores. Willie's is probably going to turn into a Sprint Center tradition for fans and concert goers.
this proximity bodes well for the P+L as well, which we all assumed but this Willie's thing shows it will actually happen. 

what remains to be seen is whether the P+L/SC crowds will "discover" the places a few blocks away like JP, Nara, Mango Room, Grinders, etc.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chrizow wrote: this proximity bodes well for the P+L as well, which we all assumed but this Willie's thing shows it will actually happen. 

what remains to be seen is whether the P+L/SC crowds will "discover" the places a few blocks away like JP, Nara, Mango Room, Grinders, etc.
It only takes 1% of a soldout crowd to overflow a bar.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

places within blocks of the arena like jp or mango or cupinis wont have an issue.  people will find those just walking to their cars.  places like seven or anthonys or nara probably wont see immediate increases.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by mykem »

Well looks like I managed to avoid getting my picture taken by anyone. Although, I was coming up from behind Powercat when he snaped the photo with the lady that had the pink top with the blue mini skirt on. Scooter j, and I must have been standing side by side from each other when he took the picture of the crew just begining to lay down the cover that covers the ice. Then dave must have been standing right behind me when he took his picture of the crowd outside.
Great photos everyone! thanks for sharing! It will be a day to remember.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Thread about SC opening on Phog....this comment was funny but consider the audience:

I also checked it out and loved it.  Couldn't help but think "why didn't we do this ten years ago?"  Then I remembered that KC,MO is run by incompetents, several of whom are crooks.

We get a KU grad in the mayor's office, and viola, a nice arena.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=172#s=17 ... 192577&p=3
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

My Thoughts:

College Basketball Experience
1.  Unbelievable - It's certainly something to be proud of.
2.  Loved how you really feel as though you are at a college basketball game with sights and sounds.
3.  It showcases all college basketball teams (not just KU/MU/KSU).  In fact I think there was more about Florida than any other university.
4.  Everyone I passed was saying how they can't wait to take out of town guests here.

Sprint Center
1.  Beautiful sights, inside and out. 
2.  Great food choices, no longer do we have to wait in line for a crappy hot dog and stale beer.
3.  The seats were a little cramped especially on the upper level.  My friends and I felt that if you had to get up during a game/concert when it was dark that you would have some serious trouble getting by everyone without tripping and falling.  (BTW, if you fall down the stairs of the upper level that piece of glass at the end of the stairs isn't going to catch you!)
4.  There really isn't a "Bad" seat in the place.  Even the ones next to the super columns seem to still have a good view, at least better than most in Kemper.
5.  All of the technology really allows you to feel connected to what is going on.  I imagine that during a game if you need to get up and get food or go to the bathroom that you won't miss much.  Too bad they didn't put flat screens in the bathrooms  :D
6.  Only real problem I see is exiting the upper concourse after a game/concert and there being a long line for the escalators. 
7.  My buddy works for Perceptive Software (company with naming rights for the founders club) so we were able to get a tour of the founders club and I must admit that it was truly incredible.  Very stylish and comfortable.  Too bad it costs $3500 a year to belong to it.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

cityscape wrote: 3.  The seats were a little cramped especially on the upper level.  My friends and I felt that if you had to get up during a game/concert when it was dark that you would have some serious trouble getting by everyone without tripping and falling.  (BTW, if you fall down the stairs of the upper level that piece of glass at the end of the stairs isn't going to catch you!)
Agree, between navigating knees, feet and the drinks on the floors, it's not going to be easy. Not much elbow room either.
cityscape wrote: 6.  Only real problem I see is exiting the upper concourse after a game/concert and there being a long line for the escalators. 
Agree, but I think folks will learn to just take the stairwells. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kucer wrote: Agree, but I think folks will learn to just take the stairwells. 
Yeah, there are stairwells and elevators in every corner - you just don't notice them because they are enclosed (fire code I imagine). 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, there are stairwells and elevators in every corner - you just don't notice them because they are enclosed (fire code I imagine). 
They are big, wide, double stairwells too.    I think people will quickly adapt to using them.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Did any one get a picture of the full Basketball court or the stage set up?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Hooray!  I pissed off TKC!    :)

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2007/10/ ... s-old.html

This is in response to a post I made last night:

http://www.scootutopia.com/2007/10/some ... e_spr.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

scooterj wrote: Hooray!  I pissed off TKC!    :)

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2007/10/ ... s-old.html

This is in response to a post I made last night:

http://www.scootutopia.com/2007/10/some ... e_spr.html

Wow, he's a douche. He probably makes some valid points, but he's such a douche, I don't want to read him.
Last edited by KCMax on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Tony will probably be first in line for Hannah Montana.

I doubt even he believes the bullshit he writes - it's just to get people riled up.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

Went up to the suites - the event room was open (no locks yet) so I got some pics of that. Not bad, but I did expect a bit more.

Image Image Image Image  Image Image Image Image  Image

the wireless was off, i believe
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

One note on the CBE.  I've been to the Basketball HOF in Springfield, Mass - -and from an entertainment value standpoint, the CBE blows it away.  It's not close. I also think putting the full-sized Basketball court in there was genius...one of the workers said they plan on hosting some tournament-type events on the court which would be really cool and keep crowds down there pretty regularly. 
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Way cool.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

GRID wrote: Being a Missouri guy, I was a bit irritated that the sports store is all Chiefs, KU and Kstate, I mean, this arena is in Kansas City, Missouri.  I know I will get shit for even bringing that up, but come on.

I totally get the arena selling KU and Kstate memorabilia, but come one, at least put the same amount of MU gear up too.  Geez.

Lets get it done.  (then we can have KC jerseys in those stores and ditch all the KU stuff! :))
I understand you're a Missouri person, but you've got to be realistic.  KU has 3 times as many alumni in KC as both MU and K-State do individually.  KU has played more games in Kansas City than either MU or K-State and it's not even close.  Check the TV ratings, after the Chiefs, KU hoops easily earn the 2nd best TV ratings in the city and when it's a big game or March Madness, KU's ratings almost near Chiefs ratings.  It was common sense for them to have plenty of KU stuff just the same as it made perfect sense to carry MU and K-State stuff.  The center of the city happens to be in Missouri, but regardless of what State downtown is in, downtown belongs to the entire metro.  The more both sides of the line embrace downtown and become less parochial about what side of the state line it is on, the better off our metro will be.  For the future of KC, it's important to have a thriving downtown.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I went to take pictures of the suites.  I was in there for a few minutes, and a lady came in saying, "You're not supposed to be here.  You have to leave."  She thought I went through the barricaded sections to get to the suites.

I was like, "Well, I took the stairs, which were OPEN TO ANYONE." 

So, I was unable to take pictures of the suites.  :x
KC is the way to be!
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

AllThingsKC wrote: I went to take pictures of the suites.  I was in there for a few minutes, and a lady came in saying, "You're not supposed to be here.  You have to leave."  She thought I went through the barricaded sections to get to the suites.

I was like, "Well, I took the stairs, which were OPEN TO ANYONE."   

So, I was unable to take pictures of the suites.   :x
Yeah, I got runnoft to. I was getting stares when I tried to go into the founders club as well. I knew I should have wore a suit and tie. and pined a yellow rose to my pocket. :)