ONGOING: Sprint Center bookings

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: ONGOING: Sprint Center bookings

Post by anniewarbucks »

Yea and some of the slots will still have dirt floors when the SC opens up this week. What a way to go Cordish and JE Dunn. it is late in the fourth quarter and still no businesses open.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

anniewarbucks wrote: Yea and some of the slots will still have dirt floors when the SC opens up this week. What a way to go Cordish and JE Dunn. it is late in the fourth quarter and still no businesses open.
Are you sure JE Dunn is to blame for the delays?  Isn't most of the shell work done and ready for tenant finish (which would not be JE Dunn)?  I don't know exactly why the project got delayed, but I have to believe the tenants and Cordish all will be unhappy that they're missing the Garth Brooks crowds.  I thought I read in the KC Star that two of their restaurants were opening on November 15th -- the day after the last GB concert.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

not to defend Dunn but I don't think its their fault...site prep was late and pushed back the whole project.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

ShowMeKC wrote: Just from the Garth Brooks 9 concerts, over 200,000 would see the Sprint Center and be Downtown. I'd like to see Cordish put up some signs saying:

"Coming Soon to the Power and Light District:
AMC Theatres; Lucky Strike; Cosentino's; Bristol Seafood Restaurant; Gimme Sum Fresh Asian Grill; Vinino ; Ted's Montana Grill; Gordon Biersch; ChinaBar; Famous Dave's BBQ; Chipotle; Mosaic Lounge; Maker's Mark Bourbon House; Howl at the Moon piano bar; Mex; The Flying Saucer Draught; Emporium; Angel's Rock Bar; The Fudgery; GNC; McFadden's Saloon; Latteland; Starbucks; Polished; Tengo Sed Cantina; Bice Bistro, Bice Cafe, Bice Lounge"

So that people are aware that something is really happening across the street.
Yeah but after having to fork out $2,300 for a set of four tickets at original face value of $27.50 add parking, popcorn or whatever it is people snack on at these shows these places might be lucky to break even.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think Garth being able to sell out nine shows in a short time is very exciting and positive news for the future of the Sprint Center.
There is no fifth destination.
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

Steve52 wrote: Yeah but after having to fork out $2,300 for a set of four tickets at original face value of $27.50 add parking, popcorn or whatever it is people snack on at these shows these places might be lucky to break even.
Who is forking over $2,300 for four Garth Brooks tickets?  I think his supply was large enough to diminish the scalped value.  If you're talking about the Hannah Montana concert goers -- I don't think they're really the target market of the P&L district anyway.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

as has been stated before, these scalpers might get a few takers for the $3,000 tickets but as the event approaches and they aren't selling, the price should come down.  scalpers don't want to eat their profits.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

One of my friends from near Carthage/Joplin even got tickets to his concert.

So Steve, are you implying that these businesses won't do well even with concerts and events?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: I wasn't blaming Cordish.  I know how hard it is to line up construction projects like that.  Just seems like an opportunity wasted, but that's how things go.
It may be a good thing that all the trendy chains won't be open immediately for all the Garth/Halen/Hannah Montana fans. God forbid someone actually visits a locally owned business or restaurant when they come downtown for the first time.

Downtown Council should get on this ASAP to help get lines out the door at the dozens of downtown establishments on these nights. Promotions for anyone who shows a Sprint Center ticket stub would surely get people through the door as well (10% off any check with a ticket stub at participating restaurants).
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: I think Garth being able to sell out nine shows in a short time is very exciting and positive news for the future of the Sprint Center.
Garth sold out 4 shows (without internet) at Kemper in '96 and could have done more.  And these shows were part of a nationwide tour instead of a one stop deal.  The sellouts is more a reflection of the artist than the arena.  If he was at Kemper instead the results would have been the same.

But it is exciting.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

It's no surprise that Garth or any pop(ular) artist with legendary status in its genre could pull this off.  This is no different than U2, Pink Floyd or the Stones pulling off Arrowhead.  It's a great start for Sprint Center and you gotta wonder if Garth would be doing that many shows at Kemper, but he could've easily done Arrowhead as well - possibly two dates if it progressed the way it did..  I suspect AEG coaxing had much to do with how the GB situation proceeded.

I can't handle twangy music and wouldn't see him for free.  But even in NYC, hundreds of thousands showed up when he played Central Park.  He is obviously a very cool guy, which plays into his mass appeal.

I wonder if John Legend could sell a few SC dates out.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

ignatius wrote: which plays into his mass appeal.
As a performer he has that appeal and mystic that very, very few performers or groups have.  He "retired" from the business at the top and he lack of appearances since then and the possibility of no tour afterwards has to be a major factor in how this run of shows sold.  His return reminds me of how the country reacted when Elvis came back with his TV shows.

Probably this is the only show that could have sold like this.  Maybe the only other show I could think of would have been a Beatles reunion with John's sons playing guitars along with Paul and Ringo.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Fair enough.  Probably true for any 'legendary' person/group that hasn't toured in >10 years. Pink Floyd would likely sellout Arrowhead twice now if the ticket prices were that low and they didn't play other US dates.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: a Beatles reunion with John's sons playing guitars along with Paul and Ringo.
Or a Van Halen reunion with Eddie's son playing bass.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Not even close.
:lol:

Paul performing alone sells more than VH, even when VH was in its prime.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wolfgang Van Halen.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This is the kind of act I was hoping AEG could provide us with:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

Alas, I see no KC dates. No offense to Elton John, but the Boss would have been an awesome opening act for the SC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote: This is the kind of act I was hoping AEG could provide us with:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

Alas, I see no KC dates. No offense to Elton John, but the Boss would have been an awesome opening act for the SC.
I don't think the Boss performs in RedStates. Same attitude as Barry Mainlow.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

springsteen played here a couple of years ago, yeah?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The classic live Bruce Springsteen version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town was recorded in KC.