Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Post by Maitre D »

You really have to separate out-of-town visitors from locals, when it comes to what type of restaurant you frequent.  Yeah, it's pathetic if a Park Hill resident goes to the chain.  But not so, if a Milwaukee one does.

I sometimes go to chains when I'm in other cities.  I just don't know if I can walk into "Big Rick's Burgers & Steaks" and get something good - I know I can go to Outback and get it, tho.  It's risk-aversion and i've got no prob with visitors doing that.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

justin8216 wrote: Is gimme sum Asian out? because I don't see it listed in the Biz Journals article listing previously announced tenants.

Also all this talk about Gates and Bryant's for P&L. For what? They are already in the area. Why would they cannibalize their existing locations? It doesn't make since for profit and that what businesses are about. Profit. Not representing KC to tourists is not even a consideration for either biz.

Village West has a Famous Dave's and a Bryant's, and both thrive.
Critical mass. Gate's Brooklyn location is off the beaten path. It might as well be downtown, so it's within walking distance of 100,000 people at lunch, as well as within easy view of tourists. It's a KC original and if we want visitors to get a taste, it needs to be where so many of the city's visitor's are.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I sometimes go to chains when I'm in other cities.  I just don't know if I can walk into "Big Rick's Burgers & Steaks" and get something good - I know I can go to Outback and get it, tho.  It's risk-aversion and i've got no prob with visitors doing that.
Big Rick's can't be much worse than Outback.  You'll never know if you don't try.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

justin8216 wrote: Is gimme sum Asian out? because I don't see it listed in the Biz Journals article listing previously announced tenants.

Also all this talk about Gates and Bryant's for P&L. For what? They are already in the area. Why would they cannibalize their existing locations? It doesn't make since for profit and that what businesses are about. Profit. Not representing KC to tourists is not even a consideration for either biz.

Village West has a Famous Dave's and a Bryant's, and both thrive.
Ahhh, it's a MONEY thing.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

yea..been there done that...referring to going to HR cafe...

BUT im sayin..if we dont have alot of ROCK music past, then why not use present stuff?  Whats the issue..its all mental

And who else thinks Gimme Sum is the most retarded name ever...seriously...whats next...eat me out?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
frankthetank
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by frankthetank »

I hope we get a Me-So-Horny. I hear they have good food!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: whats next...eat me out?
Actually, I think you're onto something there. That would be an awesome name for a fast food joint. Kinda like the Pink Taco in the SW. Perverted, yet catchy.....gets the job done.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

HRC could at least play the various "Kansas City" songs sang by The Beatles, Janis Joplin, and Fats Domino/B.B. King.  Speakin' of that, let's get a damn B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in the P&L District! 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kucer wrote: maybe The Get Up Kids??
Blackpool Lights
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised to see a Pink Taco in P&L
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

im2kull wrote: And who else thinks Gimme Sum is the most retarded name ever...seriously...whats next...eat me out?
I would imagine it's a play off of the Chinese meal called "Dim Sum."
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I've thought about this and, although I wasn't too giddy about Famous Dave's, something TK said picked me up a bit.  We have worse shit already here in places like the plaza and downtown.  A place that comes to mind for me that is a total embarrassment that's survived for years is Winslow's.  Now, I have eaten at Famous Dave's once down in Branson and it wasn't Bryant's but compared to Winslow's it's award winning cuisine.  I also remember a raunchy place down on the Plaza that's no longer there called Figlios that served up a mean plate of steamy dog shit.  Having said that, at least there's some comfort in knowing it's not going to be one of those places going into P&L.  Things could be worse.

Besides, there are bound to be a few tenants who won't survive long in P&L.  We can always cross our fingers and hope that it's Famous Dave's that falls.  Of course, you can assist by not going in there and by steering your friends, family, and the occassional visitor you run into away from there.  8)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Thrillcekr wrote: I also remember a raunchy place down on the Plaza that's no longer there called Figlios that served up a mean plate of steamy dog shit. 
The restaurant called Figlio's on the Plaza is still there - it's on the eastern side of the Plaza across from Mill Creek Park.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Tosspot wrote: The restaurant called Figlio's on the Plaza is still there - it's on the eastern side of the Plaza across from Mill Creek Park.
I didn't see it last time I was there but it sounds like it's in the same place.  That's too bad.  The place is raunchy.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I only know of Frondizi's, Jardine's, some salon, and American Century over there. Where is Figlio's?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: I only know of Frondizi's, Jardine's, some salon, and American Century over there. Where is Figlio's?
in the north east corner - just off broadway behind Changs - opposite the commerce bank branch.  Its probably about the lowest profile restaurant location on the plaza so it is kind of surprising they have survived so long.  I think they have a loyal local following though because tourists aren't very likely to find their way back there.  It may not be the best italian food in the world but hey it is one of the only non-chains highwoods has let survive - Ill take figlios over cheescake factory anyday of the week. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Ill take figlios over cheescake factory anyday of the week. 
But Highwoods sure won't.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I've always liked Figlio's.  It's not the best Italian food in the world, but hell, I spent half a year in Italy.  I can say with a high degree of certainty that most on this board don't even know what "real" Italian food tastes like. 

Also, if anyone is thinking of a place for a reception, there is a big loft/party hall above Figlios.  I attended a reception there once and it was probably one of the most impressive recpetions I've ever been to (only been to about 5).  Great location and good sized space. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I don't think they are as good as Garrozos or Cascones but it certainly is better food than the other plaza options of Brio or Bucca di Beppo in my opinion.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I can say with a high degree of certainty that most on this board don't even know what "real" Italian food tastes like. 
That's because it doesn't exist.  "Authentic" food is a fallacy.