Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Post by DaveKCMO »

not an actual formal proposal, but interesting nonetheless.

UA architecture students win award for light rail research
The UA Community Design Center won an American Institute of Architects Education Honor Award for taking on a light rail regional planning issue. The project offers Northwest Arkansas a mass transit model that supports economic development and a cleaner environment.

This is the third consecutive year that the Community Design Center, an outreach of the UA School of Architecture, has won education honors from the AIA.

The competition is open to all 110 schools of architecture in North America. Part of the award criteria is the "ability to bridge academia and the professional realm; to do something of consequence beyond the classroom," said Stephen Luoni, director of the Community Design Center.

UA students worked with students at Washington University in St. Louis to explore how light rail and similar transit-oriented development could ease traffic gridlock, spur downtown revitalization and check sprawl in Northwest Arkansas.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Changing Demographics in Eastside Suburban Portland-
Milwaukie leaders, residents warm to light-rail proposal
MAX - With new city leadership, shifting demographics and improved route plans, the once-unpopular idea is now progressing
Related Documents (PDF):
Sunday, April 01, 2007
JAMES MAYER

After a decade of controversy and rejection, MAX to Milwaukie is back on track.

And this time, officials won't be greeted with "pitchforks at the door," says Metro Councilor Brian Newman.

Southeast Portland residents have long sought light rail, but Clackamas County scuttled the idea twice. In Milwaukie, the mayor and two councilors were recalled for supporting light rail. Opponents focused on the route, or the proposed tax increases, but they also objected to Portland-style urban life, complete with mass transit and high-density housing encroaching on their community.
cont...
  http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... thispage=1
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

T Third ready to go full time-
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... OVSE91.DTL
    The San Francisco Municipal Railway will remove the training wheels from the new Third Street streetcar line when it begins full service Saturday, and only then will officials know whether their promise of improved transit service for the city's southeastern neighborhoods will be fulfilled.

One of the biggest questions is whether the $648 million rail project will provide a faster ride than the workhorse 15-Third bus line that has served the corridor for 67 years and will be retired when the streetcar takes over.

If a Chronicle reporter's ride two weekends ago was any indication, there's a lot of work to do. It took one hour to get from the end of the line in the Visitacion Valley neighborhood near the Daly City border to Fourth and King streets near the Giants ballpark in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood. That's double the time that Muni hopes to achieve with the new line.

But officials are quick to point out that the new streetcar line, officially known as the T-Third, is in the test phase and that the slower running times were anticipated during the period. Still under way, they say, is training for the operators learning the new stretch of track, tweaking of the new high-tech signals and testing the electrical system to make sure it can handle the load without shutting down.

"We're still in testing mode and knocking out the kinks, getting through the myriad of things that could go wrong,'' said San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency chief Nathaniel Ford.
cont.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Red, Orange, Yellow, Circle: Extensions, new L lines under study
The Chicago Transit Authority approved a multimillion-dollar plan last year to study L extensions that could get commuters on the city's edges and in the suburbs drooling.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

if you're familiar with the area, they may attempt to tunnel under (vs. elevated over) tysons corner.

Virginia rail department negotiates $1.6 billion Dulles Corridor design-build contract
The Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) recently negotiated a $1.6 billion design-build agreement with the Dulles Transit Partners L.L.C., a joint venture between engineering firms Bechtel Infrastructure Inc. and Washington Group International, for the Dulles Corridor Metrorail project’s first phase.

The total cost for the first phase could reach $2.7 billion, a figure that includes rail cars and right-of-way acquisitions, utility relocations, and staffing costs. In early 2008, DRPT hopes to obtain a $900 million Full Funding Grant Agreement from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to help fund the construction costs.

In May, DRPT will request permission from the FTA to enter final design to keep the project on track for a spring 2008 construction start.

The project’s first phase would extend Washington Metropolitan Transportation Authority Metrorail service 11 miles from East Falls Church to Reston, Va. The second phase would extend Metrorail service another 12 miles to Washington Dulles International Airport.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're having a showdown in charlotte. the wrong kind of petition...

Light-rail petition has 63,000 signatures
A group now calling itself SCAT -- Sensible Charlotte Area Transportation -- said Monday it has collected more than 63,000 signatures requesting a November revote on the 1998 half-cent sales tax to fund mass transit. The petition drive ended late last week, a spokesperson said.
Light-rail opponents, led by south Charlotte Republican activist Jay Morrison, have collected signatures for weeks to try and repeal the transit tax. Morrison and other opponents say they believe light rail doesn't make sense for a low-density city such as Charlotte, and the only way to stop the Charlotte Area Transit System from expanding the system is to kill the tax.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 5BGI13.DTL

04-09) 12:07 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Weekday service for San Francisco's new T-Third streetcar line got rolling today and the inaugural rides hit a few bumps.

There was an electrical problem early this morning that briefly grounded a train at the southern terminus in Visitacion Valley, a missed run that meant people had to wait longer between trains, and switching delays near 4th and King streets. All contributed to the problems that made for a less-than-perfect morning commute.

Service over the weekend was even rockier, with long delays and missed runs.

"I'd love to say everything was going like clockwork,'' said Maggie Lynch, spokeswoman for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. But, she said, considering that the line is new, service has been running pretty well. "We're doing our best and we will get better.''

The 5.1-mile T-Third line runs from Bayshore Boulevard and Sunnydale Avenue in Visitacion Valley, then down Third Street through Hunters Point, Bayview, Potrero Hill and Mission Bay. It crosses the 4th Street bridge into the South of Market, runs along the Embarcadero past the ballpark and then heads into the Market Street subway tunnel where it connects with the rest of the Metro system.

Limited weekend service began in January and today marks the first weekday runs, putting more pressure on Muni to deliver now that people are relying on the T-Third to get them to and from work. Muni retired the 15-Third diesel bus route, which the T-Third replaced, over the weekend.

Amy Li, a 36-year-old clerk heading to work on the T-Third this morning, said she's hopeful the glitches will be worked out and the streetcar line will provide a commute that's more reliable than the bus she used to take.

"So far so good,'' she said two blocks after she settled in for the ride.

The run that began 8:15 a.m. at the Sunnydale stop near the Daly City border arrived at the Embarcadero Station in the Market Street tunnel 43 minutes later -- a bit slower than promised. The return trip from the Embarcadero Station to Visitacion Valley took 51 minutes, and that included an 18-minute delay near 4th and King streets because trains got backed up.

George Compton, who was heading toward Market Street, gave his first T-Third ride high marks.

"It's better than riding the bus -- less crowded,'' said Compton, a 47-year-old trucker.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia ... xml&coll=7
The 14.7-mile rail line has the elements of success, said state Rep. Jerry Krummel, R-Wilsonville, one of the rail's earliest supporters. It links popular job centers in an area stymied by jammed highways that will only worsen as Washington County's population -- at 500,000 -- is expected to increase to 900,000 by 2030.

"People will take commuter rail when it's just as convenient" as using their cars, Krummel said. "They might realize it takes just as long to get to work, but they can be reading or looking out the window instead of wanting to pull out their hair."

With a $117.4 million price tag, the stakes are high. If commuter rail doesn't work in Portland's suburbs, Krummel said, it's not going to work elsewhere.

About 1,500 commuters are projected to ride the rail each day in the first year, expected to increase to 4,000 by 2020, according to TriMet, the lead planning agency. But with more than 110,000 vehicles a day passing Oregon 217 and I-5, that translates to a small, possibly unnoticeable, reduction in traffic.

As the rail gears up for a grand opening in 17 months, it's hit some eleventh-hour snags.

Tualatin's plans call for the station to be constructed in the middle of an already thriving downtown with clogged intersections. Haggen Food & Pharmacy representatives have rallied more than 1,200 customers against the station's proposed location, saying it will lose business as more cars stack up at the store's main entrance to get to the station.

But TriMet officials maintain that traffic will not be severely affected when the trains are up and running with plans to coordinate green traffic signals with train departures, said Mary Fetsch, TriMet spokeswoman.

Construction at Tualatin's station will be delayed since a city hearing to inspect the station's plans was pushed back almost three months, said Fetsch. And if Haggen or other property owners appeal the city's decision -- or if the city imposes additional requirements -- construction could be moved back even further.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... P790F1.DTL
  Despite three months of limited weekend testing of the new streetcar line, the changes on the other lines didn't kick in until last weekend, and the crush of weekday commuters didn't come until Monday. The T-Third line has been in development for about 20 years, took five years to build and cost $648 million.

Municipal Transportation Agency chief Nathaniel Ford said Wednesday that troubleshooters were dispatched to known problem areas to handle issues as they arose and keep them from getting worse. He said Muni has more than enough trains available, and drivers have been brought in on overtime when necessary to prevent missed runs.

"I'm watching it, personally, minute by minute in terms of the rail system's performance and there are some immediate improvements that can be made to ensure that this rush hour and the tomorrow morning rush hour and rush hours to come will be much more satisfactory,'' Ford said Wednesday.

The potential political damage from problems with Muni was evident Wednesday.

cont.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a st. louis north-south line is being studied...

http://www.northsouthstudy.org/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Mayor, County Vie Over Rail
Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's "infatuation" with streetcars is hindering Dane County's chances for getting a commuter rail system, according to the co-chairman of the committee looking at mass transit options in the city and county.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: a st. louis north-south line is being studied...

http://www.northsouthstudy.org/
Given your recent trip around the continent...you should have lots of photos to post in this thread!  :)  hint.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

believe it or not, i forgot the charger for my good camera, so all i had was my cell phone. in addition, some transit systems have been wierd about people taking pictures on rail platforms and inside subways... post-9/11 phobias, i suppose.

regardless, here's san diego's "orange line" trolley, which, i should add, you can catch by walking across the street from the intermodal union station (amtrak, commuter rail). a second trolley line, which i didn't ride, connects directly to the station on the other side.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Phoenix to pay for study of light rail along I-10
Consultants are looking at light rail and other forms of mass transportation within a 50-foot median that Arizona transportation officials reserved for transit when they built I-10. If rail were chosen for the median, trains would travel up to 55 mph between stations spaced two miles apart.
i love watching the phoenix situation unfold, because their two main issues are going to be at the top of the heap here (lack of density/auto-obsession, tony suburbs not wanting to play along).
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

DaveKCMO wrote: believe it or not, i forgot the charger for my good camera, so all i had was my cell phone. in addition, some transit systems have been wierd about people taking pictures on rail platforms and inside subways... post-9/11 phobias, i suppose.

regardless, here's san diego's "orange line" trolley, which, i should add, you can catch by walking across the street from the intermodal union station (amtrak, commuter rail). a second trolley line, which i didn't ride, connects directly to the station on the other side.

Speaking of intermodal connections, I was in St. Louis last week, rode AMTRAK to-and-from. This is not new news but AMTRAK is getting a new station co-located with the light rail stop by the Sheraton. It is also a bus transit stop as well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's awesome watching the light rail, amtrak and commuter rails constantly keeping that station busy.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

GRID wrote: It's awesome watching the light rail, amtrak and commuter rails constantly keeping that station busy.
I hope you weren't referring to the massive crowd of 9 (3 of which were pigeons) in the above picture!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the metro in montreal. it was really hard to get good pix in there.

i believe i was transferring here between the orange and green lines at berri-uqam station:

self-portrait inside lucien-l'allier station on the orange line (three flights of escalators down!):

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Boring machine to break through Beacon Hill
The project to build a light-rail transit system in the central Puget Sound area will reach another milestone tomorrow when a boring machine breaks through the east side of Seattle's Beacon Hill.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

When I first read the headline I thought "What are they talking about, it would be pretty sweet to watch a machine burst out of a hillside".