Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by advocrat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Maybe us River Market residents should rise up and take it over.
That is exactly what you should do.

During the 20th Century River Market became and "old quarter", got cut-off from the City by I-70, and languished until the brief era of River Quay. In the 80's there was a Market Area Development entity that I became acquainted with for a short time, and through the 80's and 90's various businesses prospered and some failed. There always was a City Market however, functioning according to some "just fine," but to others maybe short of potential. The expansion of residency in the River Market has been in my opinion the singular dynamic change in recent years. RM as a neighborhood is creating a stable community of diverse residents, some highly educated, some culturally sophisticated, some young and upwardly mobile, some of exotic ethnicity. All of this has been poured into an old quarter that has the City Market, the biggest and the one with the most potential for exciting destination development. The weekenders who will have reason to visit on a regular basis will come if a unique and exciting mix is present.  I think this potential is all but within arms reach based on a couple of recent developments, like 1) The Chinese Market, 2) 2nd Street improvements (and the infusion of hundreds of new residents into Milepost Zero, 3) the wonderful mix of restaurants and eateries that are now there; some of these are ethnic and exotic and complement the "food culture" of the City Market.   And this a short list.

What River Market needs is the right amount of night life, and the right amount of retail, and a full line grocer, a drug store and galleries. Steamboat Arabia could leave, but this wouldn't hurt the Market's potential. An aquarium would actually be a better fit for the River Market. Another improvement would be the departure of more non-retail type businesses (the cottage sized manufactures and warehouse type companies. And lastly either a streetcar or light rail link to downtown. RM is not beyond walking distance from the Phillips, Marriot-Muehlbach and the rest (roughly 7 blocks,) but the pedestrian connections are of marginal quality. Any who have been to Seattle and visited Pike Street Fish Market will appreciate that the major hotels are 5-6 blocks away, but the walk is fine because there are merchants along the entire route. One thing you see in Seattle's (sorry to keep bringing that City up, but I could mention the "Piers" in Chicago and San Francisco) Fish Market are souvenir shops. Just as a point of discussion where are KC's souvenir shops (at MCI, the hotels, or in the malls)? Could a souvenir shop make it at City Market-I think so. It's the type of place and the type of location and would add to the mix that approaches the potential.  City Market is already a destination, at certain times of the day and year. This is certainly true on Saturday mornings, and summer evenings when there are events. A little more added to the City Market will produce much more for the River Market. It is distinctly different in culture, offerrings and content from the Crossroads.

People are needed on the street all day long, and if large numbers of residents, merchants, and visitors are there, the hoodlums from Columbus Park will go away-because these punks need relatively vacant streets and the cover of night.

So what do you who live there do? Bond together, become the River Market development organization (I can't remember what the actual name of the existing one is), find a way to insert yourself into the affairs of the City Market management company, and work that councilman to advocate for City Market and River Market development. The private sector has done a great job in recent years, the residents are numerous enough to claim ownership of this neighborhood, and all of these entities ought to create and develop a vision and strategy to make RM and the City Market a destination for visitors and residents from 6:00 am to 2:00 am.   
Last edited by advocrat on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Regarding the City Market.............
Yes, it is below its potential.  No, the blame does not fall with the managing entity.  The Copaken Company is doing a remarkable job, with severely limited resources. 

The City Market is owned by the city of Kansas City and Advocrat is right, the best thing to be done is to lobby the incoming 2nd District Council people and the new mayor to adequately support this asset.  There is no marketing budget and when there is a physical need at the market, the city staff responsible has to beg, or steal the funds to get anything done while negotiating their way thru the bureacracy.

The other thing to be done, is to encourage entrepeneurs to take a place at the market.  If the only people who choose to participate are those that sell brown and bruised produce then that's all we get. Who can you really blame for that?  Nobody is being turned away for wanting to do something better.

Hien Vuong Market, at the entry to the City Market is going to be relocating in the next few months and that space will be available to someone new.  What would you like to see go in there?  A Classic Cup?  A neighborhood convenience store?  This is the kind of input that could be valuable to the City Market and make a difference.  If you have any suggestions on tenants or uses, call the management office at the City Market and let them know.  If you know businesses that should have a presence in the Market, let them know that the opportunity is available.

Don't bitch, make a pitch.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Where is Hien Vuong relocating to?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Don't know for sure, KCMax.  Six months ago the HV folks said they were moving to the big building on Grand just behind the City Diner on 3rd.  Rumor is that the deal on that has fallen apart and there is no activity on that building.

Just know that the City Market leasing agent is offering the HV site for occupancy as early as this summer.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

loftguy wrote: If you have any suggestions on tenants or uses, call the management office at the City Market and let them know.   If you know businesses that should have a presence in the Market, let them know that the opportunity is available.

Don't bitch, make a pitch.

Stroud's.  End of discussion.

:)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

loftguy wrote: Regarding the City Market.............
Yes, it is below its potential.  No, the blame does not fall with the managing entity.  The Copaken Company is doing a remarkable job, with severely limited resources. 

The City Market is owned by the city of Kansas City and Advocrat is right, the best thing to be done is to lobby the incoming 2nd District Council people and the new mayor to adequately support this asset.  There is no marketing budget and when there is a physical need at the market, the city staff responsible has to beg, or steal the funds to get anything done while negotiating their way thru the bureacracy.
What is the management doing specifically that is remarkable? I don't see anything that stands out whatsoever.

I'm not sure we're on the same page concerning marketing of the property-- a multi-million dollar marketing campaign will do little if anything for that facility. More unique and involving tenants would be a start as well as a bit of creativity on the part of management. Is it better to have storefronts sit empty for years or fill a spot with  a unique tenant for less you'd prefer? Bo Ling's is a nice addition, but there are already like 5 Bo Ling's with probably more on the way. A lot more destination retail is needed in that facility to give people a reason to visit even outside of weekend mornings and occasional restaurant/bar outings.

The people of Kansas City shouldn't have to suggest to a private management team how to do their job. If it's necessary for us to bitch at the management-- we need different management. Further, why would we press the city to dump more money in the hands of CWB when they haven't proven anything to the public in terms of results? Locals probably didn't even know there was a management change over the past few years unless they were an active member of the RM neighborhood.
scooterj wrote:
Stroud's.  End of discussion.

Stroud's is certainly the idea of what the City Market should be aiming for. Unique and local operations that are a true destination...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Stroud's or perhaps a sloppy nasty ass greasy ole' burger joint.  Both are sorely lacking downtown.

(Sure, there are places to get decent burgers, but none that focus primarily on the burger.)

Some sort of casual seafood joint would be cool too.  Something above LJS in calibre but still well below a Bristol or McCormick & Schmick.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

scooterj wrote:(Sure, there are places to get decent burgers, but none that focus primarily on the burger.)
But, but, but...Town Topic!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

A good soul food joint would be awesome. Fried catfish would fit perfectly in the River Market.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

mean wrote: But, but, but...Town Topic!
Meh.   Thin, dry, flavorless, and way too far south.  :)    

I'm talking big, oily, 1/2 to 3/4 pound patties dripping with cheese.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

Or a deli like The New York Deli
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

scooterj wrote: Meh.   Thin, dry, flavorless, and way too far south.  :)    

I'm talking big, oily, 1/2 to 3/4 pound patties dripping with cheese.
They need a Grandstand down there. If you have never been there it is at 50th and Merriam Rd in OPKS. Best burger in KC and huge!!!
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

TK......... I have been a vocal advocate for change in the city market for a bunch of years.  When CWB took over the market two years ago the market was buried in debt, had huge deferred maintenance and the existing tenants and city staff were beat up and depressed. 

Man, the details are everything.  The debt is now gone, while at the same time managing money in such a way as to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to upgrade tenant doors, signage, heating, trash removal and handling (big one for loft tenants on Delaware)  instituting 24 hour live security, etc.... 

With regard to new tenants, the city has shown that they want unique local tenants.  They are not turning away viable tenants and they have been open to short term uses.

I have complained a lot about the market over the years and they are far from perfect.  They are making progress, though and it is everywhere to be seen.  Again, this is as result of the staff that is running things now.  They are working on a shoestring and they are doing incredible things.

TK, you seem to have a bone to pick with CWB.  I have no special love for them but I have watched what they've done closely, and they deserve praise.  I'm coming from an informed vantage point.  Where are you coming from?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I have to agree with loftguy.  The City Market has been spruced up quite a bit in the last year or two.  And they they built the heated stall that can be used year-round.    And the new security they have is great -- very friendly and very helpful.  There's still a lot more that can be done but I don't think they are slacking at all.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

oh, how i would love to have stroud's fried chicken within walking distance. what a coup that would be for the city market!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

seeing as how the last location they were reported to be looking at was at like 159th and Holmes or something, i don't think they're looking to come to the city.  :)
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

scooterj wrote:
Stroud's.   End of discussion.

Oh, yeah....Chicken Fried Steak!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: oh, how i would love to have stroud's fried chicken within walking distance. what a coup that would be for the city market!
I would turn into a big, fat pig and have to waddle back home from Stroud's.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kc-vino wrote: Again does anybody have any post 1960's photos of the area.  This always blows me away that at its peak in the early 1970's you just don't see any images. 
There is no fifth destination.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

FangKC wrote: Image

Add to this image numbers of people on par with what is seen in the Crossroads on First Fridays. That's what it was like on Delaware.