Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: Let me put it this way...KSU loses to A&M (don't care who is home/away), finishes with the same record at the top...A&M is the champ...KSU gets a trophy due to Big 12 rules, but A&M is the champ.

But not "caring" about where the game was, shows your ignorance about how college hoops works.   It's vital to know who is hosting, since it makes all the difference.    Ask the South if winning at Phog is easy:   1-37 says otherwise.

When KU ties a South team - after losing a home game to that team in Lawrence - then we'll talk.   Deal?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its not vitale, it makes no difference in the eyes of big 12 rules for champions and tiebreakers.

We are all very proud of your team's south record at allen fieldhouse, sorry 'the phog'. You've done a great job.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: national coach of the year for a program that just won the title, and still has decent talent. not as much as recent years, a building year, but still typical kay u talent taken from states other than kansas as usual. you guys really think this propels him to coach of the year. man, i cannot wait til they announce coach of the year ( national, not conference )
Umm, Brady Morningstar (who starts every game) is from Lawrence, and Tyrel Reed (first off the bench) is from Burlington.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcmetro wrote: Umm, Brady Morningstar (who starts every game) is from Lawrence, and Tyrel Reed (first off the bench) is from Burlington.
In addition, KU has more players on its roster from Kansas than Mizzou does players from Missouri.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

WSPanic wrote: In addition, KU has more players on its roster from Kansas than Mizzou does players from Missouri.
Yep.

http://www2.kusports.com/mens_basketbal ... r/2008_09/

Conner Teahan, Leawood
Brennan Bechard, Lawrence
Brady Morningstar, Lawrence
Tyrel Reed, Burlington
Travis Releford, KCMO but played at Bishop Miege in KS
Jordan Juenamann, Hays
Matt Kleinmann, Overland Park
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Obviously the record is different...but also MU was expected to be better and compete this year with the players they had returning...KSU was written off for dead by EVERYBODY.

I don't care about Martin winning a thing, I'm just trying to understand why Anderson is really getting serious consideration here and Martin isn't...given the types of teams they had coming back.
Mu was expected to be improved but I don't remember seeing much of anyone suggest they would ever be anywhere near sniffing a top-10 ranking.

Martin's season is a bit of a double-edged sword - on the one hand he managed to take a group that was under-achieving and looking pretty unintimidating and flip a switch and get remarkably more competitive play out of them.  On the other hand, he seemed to flip that switch way too late in the season - you have to have your team gelled a hell of a lot sooner than a third of the way through the conference schedule.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So mu fans...any final comments?  Expecting a cake walk tonight?  Anybody headed over?

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Celebrity Chef gets served.  :lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

NDTeve wrote: Celebrity Chef gets served.  :lol:
not really. all that proves is THIS SEASON they have more talent on their roster from kansas than normal. i hardly even looked, i just know that normally they have their best players from out of state, and that is fucking hillarious. that no good talent comes from in state. hell, you kay u braindeads keep telling us how this is your worst team in a long time ( lip service in case you fail miserably ) but the irony here is you guys say it is your worst team in a while, and you mined more talent from in state than ever. says a lot about the talent pool in the great state of kansas.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcdcchef wrote: not really. all that proves is THIS SEASON they have more talent on their roster from kansas than normal. i hardly even looked, i just know that normally they have their best players from out of state, and that is fucking hillarious. that no good talent comes from in state. hell, you kay u braindeads keep telling us how this is your worst team in a long time ( lip service in case you fail miserably ) but the irony here is you guys say it is your worst team in a while, and you mined more talent from in state than ever. says a lot about the talent pool in the great state of kansas.
I'm not sure you're participating in the same discussion as the rest of us. Take it to the "States with 5.5 million people have more talented basketball players than states with 2.7 million people" thread.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: not really. all that proves is THIS SEASON they have more talent on their roster from kansas than normal. i hardly even looked, i just know that normally they have their best players from out of state, and that is fucking hillarious. that no good talent comes from in state. hell, you kay u braindeads keep telling us how this is your worst team in a long time ( lip service in case you fail miserably ) but the irony here is you guys say it is your worst team in a while, and you mined more talent from in state than ever. says a lot about the talent pool in the great state of kansas.
That was a myth that Michael liked to spread.  The state has produced a pretty good chunk of talent relative to its population and location and KU has almost always managed to get the cream of it (unlike MU in Missouri) - its just that we also have the ability to get the best from other states as well.  Wayne Simeon was from just up the road in Leavenworth. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: but the irony here is you guys say it is your worst team in a while, and you mined more talent from in state than ever. says a lot about the talent pool in the great state of kansas.
Actually this is a pretty good example of why Bill deserves to be in the COY discussion (an argument that we all see you desperately trying to run away from by the way).  Brady Morningstar was a local kid that nobody really thought much of more than that he was quality "filler" for the roster - Bill has managed to coach him into a starter that most every coach in the country would like to have on his team.  That is the sort of thing that gets noticed when evaluating a coach's performance. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I don't get what's so funny about that.  Why would KS produce a shit ton of good players?  Look at the population.  And while you're at it, take a look at UNC, Duke, and other big time programs.  They're not exactly pulling their best players from in-state most years.

FWIW, Wichita has the #1 rated high school freshman in the nation, Perry Ellis.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

KCPowercat wrote: So mu fans...any final comments?  Expecting a cake walk tonight?  Anybody headed over?
If the KSU team that went to Ames the other day shows up in Columbia I am pretty confident we win by double digits.  If KSU shows up and starts hitting shots like they did during their big run it will be a good game.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is mu going to do different to avoid being run out of the gym like last time they met?

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: What is mu going to do different to avoid being run out of the gym like last time they met?
Press, press, press.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That was a myth that Michael liked to spread.  The state has produced a pretty good chunk of talent relative to its population and location and KU has almost always managed to get the cream of it (unlike MU in Missouri) - its just that we also have the ability to get the best from other states as well.  Wayne Simeon was from just up the road in Leavenworth. 
actually, michael made some pretty good arguments on the matter. i can pull them up if you would like, he had a rather long list of names and where they went to high school.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Actually, this brings up an interesting question...

Who are the best players to not play in-state from both Kansas and Missouri?  It's not exactly the easiest thing to figure out, as I know very little off the top of my head.

A quick Google perusal gave me Tyler Hansbrough from MO, Bill Bradley from MO, Jo Jo White from MO, and Phog Allen from MO. 

In looking for Kansas guys, I was pretty amazed at the number of coaches who were born there (Gene Keady, Lon Kruger, Mark Turgeon, Dean Smith, and numerous others, though all played in Kansas).  I'm sure there are more players, but all I found initially were Eddie Sutton and Earl Watson.

I'm not really going to count Jaron, Kareem, or Brandon Rush as going to the other state since I think they technically lived in Kansas through much of school, even though the school is in MO.  Jaron didn't end up in either place, so I guess he would be 1/2 a player against each state?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcdcchef wrote: actually, michael made some pretty good arguments on the matter. i can pull them up if you would like, he had a rather long list of names and where they went to high school.
No he didn't. And the premise of the argument is stupid. States with larger populations will produce more players. If you think you "win" some sort of prize for arguing that Missouri has more people than Kansas - then yes. You're a superstar.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Who cares where players are from? Loser argument.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain