KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by KCMax »

Not KC, but a truck stop near Columbia will be the focus of a new Travel Channel show called "Truck Stop Missouri."

Central Missouri truck stop to be featured on Travel Channel series
The series, titled "Truck Stop Missouri" will be reality-style, with cameras following the plaza's owner Joe Bechtold and other workers as they manage the massive travel plaza, which includes more than a dozen different businesses. There is, of course, the gas station/convenience store, and also a diner; the Back Door Lounge (bar, lounge, and live music venue); the Under The Gun Tattoo Parlor; Larry's Boots (a retail store that offers 10,000 pairs of boots and Western clothing for sale); the I-70 Mobile Roadside Repair tire shop; the Budget Inn Motel; the Cannery Row Daycare Center; the Fearfest Haunted Attraction (where visitors can shoot live zombies with paintballs); the Spirit of 76 Fireworks shop; a trailer sales and storage facility; an Expo Center for livestock shows; the largest antique mall in Missouri; the Sandbar (which includes an outdoor concert venue and two sand volleyball courts); and the Midway Mini Storage facility.
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/T ... p_Missouri
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

That's one of my favorite truckstops, and it's a dying breed as so many of them have been rebuilt into corporate, sanitized, family-friendly versions over the past few years. 

I used to love stopping at truck stops for meals on my travels, but now so many of them only feature Denny's or Subway or some other fast food chain.  Now I venture into the heart of small towns looking for family-owned diners instead.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax wrote: Not KC, but a truck stop near Columbia will be the focus of a new Travel Channel show called "Truck Stop Missouri."
Interview with the manager: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/201 ... normal-joe.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Evidently, the police baracades in ~minute 28 of the most recent Curb Your Enthusiasm said "KCMO POLICE KCMO" on them.  No idea why this was.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Great video images of downtown Kansas City were featured on NBC's "Who Do You Think You Are?"  The program featured country singer Tim McGraw's search for his ancestors in the area.

Images included  the front of the downtown Central Public Library, aerials of Union Station and Liberty Memorial looking north to downtown; The Broadway Bridge and Downtown looking south, and parts of the River Market looking down Main.

Here is the video.  The Kansas City images start at minute 6:50 in the video, and again at 9:32 in the video.

http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you ... aw/1291035
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Here are some local film makers making movies in KC

scroll down and watch the trailer of Holy Moly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120 ... /mudjackin
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCKev wrote: Here are some local film makers making movies in KC

scroll down and watch the trailer of Holy Moly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120 ... /mudjackin
The guy in this interview, originally from KC, has written a film set in KC that will hopefully start shooting in the not too distant future:

http://www.nerdappropriate.com/2011/04/ ... interview/
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Apologies if this is a duplicate but my search didn't turn anything up and I can't read back through 56 pages . . .

When we lived in the historic Northeast our older neighbors told us that they remembered a movie being shot in/around our house in the 1950s. They all described the lights set up in the front yard and a fatal car wreck on Cliff Drive was the dramatic ending.

I finally tracked it down and bought a copy (on DVD). It's called The Cool and the Crazy and I would describe it as Reefer Madness meets Rebel Without a Cause - still, it was kind of cool seeing what the house looked like then.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051488/
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

To save the rest of you some time: it isn't on Netflix. I searched.
moosnsqrl wrote: Apologies if this is a duplicate but my search didn't turn anything up and I can't read back through 56 pages . . .

When we lived in the historic Northeast our older neighbors told us that they remembered a movie being shot in/around our house in the 1950s. They all described the lights set up in the front yard and a fatal car wreck on Cliff Drive was the dramatic ending.

I finally tracked it down and bought a copy (on DVD). It's called The Cool and the Crazy and I would describe it as Reefer Madness meets Rebel Without a Cause - still, it was kind of cool seeing what the house looked like then.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051488/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Kansas City Public Library doesn't have it either.
There is no fifth destination.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Trailer on youtube
http://youtu.be/ww0ujN8guAI

Production:
The film was shot in about two or three weeks on-location in Kansas City sometime in the latter part of 1957. The locations included a Kansas City high school, where most of the students got a chance to be in the film, a run-down Aberdeen Hotel in downtown Kansas City, a greasy spoon called Pat's Pig, Penn Valley Park and the Indian Scout Statue overlooking the city, the Blue Note Club, the renowned Kansas City Jazz hall, and several real homes and neighborhoods. Rhoden Jr. had cooperation from many local businesses and also from the Kansas City Police Department, who were contacted for several reasons.

While standing on the street between takes, actors Dick Bakalyan and Dick Jones were actually arrested for vagrancy by Kansas City police. They spent several hours in the local jail before someone explained that they were just acting for a film.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

A sucker from some old TV programs from the past.  One is Combat.  Just had an episode where the squad is interviewing Tom Skerritt (who does the KU Med comercials) would might be a German.  They ask where he took basic training and he says Ft Leavenworth.  Then ask him where he would go on leave.  Answer would make GRID happy.  He says "Kansas City" and pauses, then says "Missouri".  The squad is happy with the reply.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Docu about a KC guy who was once homeless, now helps other homeless people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUfQHi5H ... e=youtu.be

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I love how it says Kansas City, KS for his city.  The guy is from Overland Park according to his facebook page but i'm assuming the people who made this website think KCK is the main city in KC.  His video was shot entirely in missouri.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I love how it says Kansas City, KS for his city.  The guy is from Overland Park according to his facebook page but i'm assuming the people who made this website think KCK is the main city in KC.  His video was shot entirely in missouri.
When I lived in PV, I would tell people I was from Kansas City.  If I included the state, I would generally say Kansas City on the Kansas side (or in a suburb of KC).  But I can see where someone from OP would say Kansas City, Kansas when describing where they live to an outsider.  Overland Park could just as well be a small town in Western Kansas as far as most people nationally are concerned.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bobbyhawks wrote: But I can see where someone from OP would say Kansas City, Kansas when describing where they live to an outsider. 
Really?  Why?  OP isn't a suburb of KCK.  KCK is a suburb of KCMO.  Is Raytown a suburb of Independence?  :lol:

I assume that the competitive eater from OP just said he lives in a suburb of "Kansas City" and some Man v. Food intern just typed in "Kansas City, Kansas" b/c he is ignorant.  (insert any of GRID's dozens of rants in this regard). 

I have heard many conversations (usually in airports or airplanes) where a JoCo person tells a non-KC person "I live in KC, in the Kansas-side suburbs."  This is a completely reasonable thing to say.  Unlike GRID, I have never once heard someone from JoCo tell someone they are from "Kansas" or "Johnson County, KS" and certainly not "Kansas City, KS."
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: Really?  Why?  OP isn't a suburb of KCK.  KCK is a suburb of KCMO.  Is Raytown a suburb of Independence?  :lol:

I assume that the competitive eater from OP just said he lives in a suburb of "Kansas City" and some Man v. Food intern just typed in "Kansas City, Kansas" b/c he is ignorant.  (insert any of GRID's dozens of rants in this regard). 

I have heard many conversations (usually in airports or airplanes) where a JoCo person tells a non-KC person "I live in KC, in the Kansas-side suburbs."  This is a completely reasonable thing to say.  Unlike GRID, I have never once heard someone from JoCo tell someone they are from "Kansas" or "Johnson County, KS" and certainly not "Kansas City, KS."
Which rant would you like me to insert?

Here is the deal with this.  Most people from outside the area don't have any clue about the difference between Johnson County and KCK.  None at all.  To most people, that is ALL Kansas City, KS.  Overland Park is Kansas City, KS.  Olathe is Kansas City, KS.

Nobody from OP would ever claim to be from KCK.  They will sometimes say Kansas (trust me chrizow, they do) or they will say Kansas City or KC suburbs or whatever.

But how most people would decipher that is they are from KCK except the very small minority that understands KC geography.  People like to think of the KC area as the KS side and the MO side with two distinct central cities.  Or they think KCMO is a suburb of KCK (like how the jets play in Jersey). They don't understand that the metro really only has one true central core city.  People think St Paul or Ft Worth.

KCK is economically (possibly even culturally) more of a suburb of OP than the other way around.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

I just finished reading "The Wichita Divide" (about the slaying of George Tiller) and the author did the same thing KCMO/KCK thing. He also put Bonner Springs in MO. And he is originally from Kansas, albeit not the KC area. #-o
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I could see someone from OP saying they're from Kansas City, KS, but it's still a little weird.  When I go out of town I tell people I'm from Kansas City and leave it at that.  Nobody cares whether I live in OP or whether I'm from the MO or KS side.  I've been out of town with people who say they're from Kansas, and it annoys me a little because KS is a huge state, and there's a very big difference between being from the KC area and being from Garden City, KS.  When you tell someone you're from Kansas, they automatically think you're from a small town.  Tell them you're from Kansas City, and they'll view you as a bit more civilized.