B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by trailerkid »

pstokely wrote: Business will probably slow when Football season starts
awesome take.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: So, how is the theater doing in terms of business a few months after opening?  Is it getting big crowds still?  Sellouts?  Any weeknight business?  Has it created more foot traffic in the District? 

Just curious.  I had hoped to see for myself but had to cancel my summer trip to KC this year.  I would think that the theater is an integral part of the District that absolutely must suceed to give the place a non restaurant/bar draw on a nightly basis. 
Its kind of hard to judge since most of the theaters seem to have relatively low seating capacity - especially up in cinema suites theaters.  I don't think they designed the business model of this theater to be based around volume, but rather to be about squeezing the most out of the pockets of a smaller, more select clientelle.  Probably the way the theater business has to go to survive. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sunday matinee of district 9 in theater 1 was about 2/3 full.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I saw D9 Sat/2pm... was about 3/4 full.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

new district 9 thread here.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I've been several times, mostly on Sunday or Monday evenings and it has been nearly sold out everytime and I even got turned away once.  It's busy enough that I don't even bother going if I can't get there earlier that day to get decent seats, since the theaters are so huge that sitting up close isn't just mildly unpleasant, as in most theatres, but really unwatcheable as you can't even see most of the screen.  Haven't tried a matinee, but they are definitely doing very well in the evenings in the big theatres at least; haven't been to one of the suites showings yet.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Its kind of hard to judge since most of the theaters seem to have relatively low seating capacity - especially up in cinema suites theaters.  I don't think they designed the business model of this theater to be based around volume, but rather to be about squeezing the most out of the pockets of a smaller, more select clientelle.  Probably the way the theater business has to go to survive. 
  Are you thinking of the 3 suites upstairs?  Theatre 1, at least, is one of the biggest theatres in town.  Don't know that I've been in the other two downstairs, but thought that they were supposed to be big too.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Gretz wrote: Are you thinking of the 3 suites upstairs?  Theatre 1, at least, is one of the biggest theatres in town.  Don't know that I've been in the other two downstairs, but thought that they were supposed to be big too.
The other two downstairs theatres are very small.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gretz wrote:   Are you thinking of the 3 suites upstairs?  Theatre 1, at least, is one of the biggest theatres in town.  Don't know that I've been in the other two downstairs, but thought that they were supposed to be big too.
I had heard there was a big one there - I apparently manage to choose movies in every screen but this one. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Heard that Widespread Panic is coming to the Midland in November for Tuesday/Wednesday show. No weekend but still better than nothing.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Looks like bookings at Midland are picking up a bit.  Not a storm, but more activity than over summer.

http://pollstar.com/resultsVenue.aspx?I ... ortBy=Date

Is it becoming a fall/winter venue like Uptown?  Or maybe the booking agents are getting better traction now?  I heard Uptown is a winter venue because it's too expensive to keep cool and they have to compete with smaller outdoor venues like Grinders.  True for Midland as well?

Surprised to see Midland scored David Cross.  Didn't think he'd hit red states.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

ignatius wrote:
Surprised to see Midland scored David Cross.  Didn't think he'd hit red states.
How else would he end up with such great comedic fodder?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Missouri is a red state?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: Surprised to see Midland scored David Cross.  Didn't think he'd hit red states.
?

Unless this is some reference to a joke he made about red states...he has a whole bit about staying in Kansas City that's on one of his CDs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

walked in to AMC tonight for a quick bite and it was completely EMPTY. service and food was vastly improved from our last visit months ago. regular entrees (meatloaf, spaghetti+meatballs, turkey) have joined the menu.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: walked in to AMC tonight for a quick bite and it was completely EMPTY.
The theater or just the restaurant?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: walked in to AMC tonight for a quick bite and it was completely EMPTY. service and food was vastly improved from our last visit months ago. regular entrees (meatloaf, spaghetti+meatballs, turkey) have joined the menu.
I've eaten there a few times and had the same experience. The food and service are both above average, but the place is empty on weeknights. The prices are also good. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

grovester wrote: Missouri is a red state?
YES.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

DaveKCMO wrote: walked in to AMC tonight for a quick bite and it was completely EMPTY. service and food was vastly improved from our last visit months ago. regular entrees (meatloaf, spaghetti+meatballs, turkey) have joined the menu.
Is this surprising?  A tuesday evening at a movie theatre? 

Not sure what AMC's business plan is with their restuarant/bar, but I assume they anticipate that crowd size directly correlates with movie attendance.  And movie attendance is probably a bit slow monday-wednesday. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

All of the shows we have seen seem to be pretty full houses - but yeah the restaurant/lounge is always dead. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: All of the shows we have seen seem to be pretty full houses - but yeah the restaurant/lounge is always dead. 
i don't even know if many theatre patrons go to the restaurant. i saw inglorious basterds (AMAZING.) and the theatre was full, but only a small trickle in the bar/restaurant.

anyone else think the Marquee would be a NICE jazz venue?