Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by ShowMeKC »

It connects to Union Station...

Main would be fine, but it wouldn't go by Bartle Hall, or the PAC.

Also, this project should cost about 1 billion dollars, and that is not an underestimate. The average cost for non-elevated rail is about 30-40 million per mile.

24.5 miles in this plan (almost exactly) would cost between 735 million and 1 billion.

City Hall is afraid to spend another billion on something that will help the city as a whole, whereas the 3-4 billion Downtown (that they brag about) helps mainly the urban core.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: Exactly. Hey, guess who just won the House and the Senate. And who do they owe their success to? Urban areas. The Dems will make energy dependence on oil an issue and look for alternative energies and alternative modes of transportation to be an issue they will support.
I was thinking the same thing. Transit funding was all over the place in the early 1990s when Dems were in charge, and we missed the boat. Now, we've FINALLY passed an LRT proposal, and the Dems are in power again...the stars could be aligning.

But I'm skeptical that the council and MARC and everyone will actually make it happen. They've got to be furious, and I expect they'll just poo-poo it, declare it impossible, and call up Glorioso to sing happy songs about SmartMoves.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

mean wrote: But I'm skeptical that the council and MARC and everyone will actually make it happen. They've got to be furious, and I expect they'll just poo-poo it, declare it impossible, and call up Glorioso to sing happy songs about SmartMoves.
Speaking of Glorioso, I was hoping Claire would take him to Washington so he'll leave us alone.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That was my feeling as well. With a (more)progressive government in place, what's to stop federal funds for transit initiatives from materializing?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Kard wrote: Speaking of Glorioso, I was hoping Claire would take him to Washington so he'll leave us alone.
Oh heavens, Glorioso Goes to Washington...sounds like a horror flick.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

chrizow wrote: i still don't understand why it is desirable to have the train go down Broadway.  why not SW Trfcwy or Main (where it could link up with union station somehow). 
SW trwy N. of the Plaza would be perfect. Take a lane in each direction, along with the Median Strip N. of Westport Rd.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

However this insures it definitely won't be 10 years till we get light rail.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ShowMeKC wrote: However this insures it definitely won't be 10 years till we get light rail.
it could also mean that our city leadership raises the tax revenue, funds several multi-million dollar "studies," then does nothing. 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'd say it should go from the Zoo to 71 to Emmanual Cleaver to Mill Creek Park to Broadway, to Linwood to Main to 13th to Oak to Barry Rd. to just south of Zona Rosa (b/c it wouldn't go through a specifically residential area, and buses would run from KCI to it and Zona Rosa)
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Which would also mean pissed of residents and voters.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

bahua wrote: That was my feeling as well. With a (more)progressive government in place, what's to stop federal funds for transit initiatives from materializing?
Absolutely nothing.  If the Dems sieze on transit and alternative energy, they could solidify their majority for years to come (at least with me!).

As far as federal funds, I think some people overlook the possibility of funds available for alternative energy research and clean air initiatives that could be applied to transit.  In my opinion (and it's only an opinion, and it's mine) the City needs to hire a full-time grant writer whose sole purpose in life is to identify federal programs that can help Kansas City and write convincing grant applications backed by local and federal representatives.  One successful federal grant would easily payback the cost of a grant writer.

I'm not saying it's a silver bullet, but I would sure LOVE to have hydrogen fuel-cell technology in our transit system.  There's money to had for such a thing, it's just not coming here right now.
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If the route stands, it will run 2 blocks west of me.  Will this raise my property value?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

moderne wrote:   If the route stands, it will run 2 blocks west of me.  Will this raise my property value?
I don't know, but in other cities(Chicago, Boston, NY, SF), transit access is a major amenity that raises property values. The question is whether it would fly in KC.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Man, I really want to know what the City's reaction is. That way I can decide if I want to write a well-thought out letter of support.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Hey Guys Can we merge this thread with other threads on this subject? I know that there is a parralell thread called how will you vote on the chastains light rail initiative. It is getting confusing talking about the same thing on two threads.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

markf wrote:
As far as federal funds, I think some people overlook the possibility of funds available for alternative energy research and clean air initiatives that could be applied to transit.  In my opinion (and it's only an opinion, and it's mine) the City needs to hire a full-time grant writer whose sole purpose in life is to identify federal programs that can help Kansas City and write convincing grant applications backed by local and federal representatives.  One successful federal grant would easily payback the cost of a grant writer.
New technology breakthroughs may indeed make this a new ballgame. Trains following fiberoptics etc. Who knows whats ahead, but there should be funding for these newer, cleaner ways to move people. Lets not be closed minded about the possibilities, since we need to basically start from scratch anyway, so lets not be in a hurry and do it right!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Would maglev work at street level?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KC0KEK wrote: Would maglev work at street level?
I had the same thought, as crazy as it might be. Call us dreamers. :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i want a train that is comprised of a beam of pure energy. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

sethyg wrote: An idea of what a gondola might look like...  :(

If that  :(  means you do not like the look, picture what it will look like with the facilities not shown....support towers and on and offloading facilities.  Cluttered and ugly.