Election 2008

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Election 2008

Post by Maitre D »

DanCa wrote: I guarantee you Focus on the Family is filled with closet cases.  Look at Gary Bauer and tell me that man isn't a big queen.
The DNC must be filled with closet conservatives then.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote:
So I take it, you're probably a "closet Christian" - like other atheists who tell people to suppress their religious feelings?
Nah, I'm not an atheist. I think atheists are a little off their rockers as well. But I don't believe in an invisible man in the sky who judges our actions...or who has a list of what is sinful and what is not. I believe in eternal existence for all.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Maitre D wrote:
So I take it, you're probably a "closet Christian" - like other atheists who tell people to suppress their religious feelings?
That's apples and oranges.  If you're a Christian, you have no reason to hide from it.  Plus, being a Christian is a choice, and not something society shuns.

Dobson is nothing more than a two-bit whack job psychologist with a rabid anti-gay agenda.  He doesn't even have a degree in theology, but uses Christianity to spread hate and fear for his personal agenda.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Maitre D wrote: The DNC must be filled with closet conservatives then.
Huh?  That doesn't even make sense.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

DanCa wrote: Huh?  That doesn't even make sense.
Sure it does!  You claim that Focus is full of people secretly "repressing" their gay desires.  Well, by that logic I can argue the DNC has people secretly repressing their politics.

It's perfectly sensible.  Fact is, lots of liberals believe that people who disapprove of homosexuality are secretly "repressing" their love for it.  And it's totally absurd.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: Sure it does!  You claim that Focus is full of people secretly "repressing" their gay desires.  Well, by that logic I can argue the DNC has people secretly repressing their politics.

It's perfectly sensible.  Fact is, lots of liberals believe that people who disapprove of homosexuality are secretly "repressing" their love for it.  And it's totally absurd.
It's not because people against homosexuality are all gay....it's because you have dickheads like this who are caught in the act...after years of condemning those who participate in the exact same activity.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: It's not because people against homosexuality are all gay....it's because you have dickheads like this who are caught in the act...after years of condemning those who participate in the exact same activity.
Right but Reagan was once a huge Democrat too.  And we know that Joe Lieberman left the party, as well as tons of Southern politicians in the 80s and 90s.  So it's clear, there are "closet conservatives" over there.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: Right but Reagan was once a huge Democrat too.  And we know that Joe Lieberman left the party, as well as tons of Southern politicians in the 80s and 90s.   So it's clear, there are "closet conservatives" over there.
Your post presuppposes that most of these federal politicians actually have some sort of personal committment to a clearly defined ideology in the first place rather than just a rampant lust for power and self-aggrandizement at any and all costs.  Call me a cynic . . .
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: Right but Reagan was once a huge Democrat too.  And we know that Joe Lieberman left the party, as well as tons of Southern politicians in the 80s and 90s.  So it's clear, there are "closet conservatives" over there.
I don't doubt it.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Maitre D wrote: Sure it does!   You claim that Focus is full of people secretly "repressing" their gay desires.   Well, by that logic I can argue the DNC has people secretly repressing their politics.

It's perfectly sensible.   Fact is, lots of liberals believe that people who disapprove of homosexuality are secretly "repressing" their love for it.   And it's totally absurd.
Studies show that those who scream the loudest against homosexuality are often themselves gay and unable to deal with it.  They're terrified that anyone will suspect they're gay, so they become vocally anti-gay to create an illusion that they're very heterosexual. 

People change political parties, change philosophies, etc.  But conservatives have no reason to "hide" from their political leanings by hiding in the Democratic party. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Your post presuppposes that most of these federal politicians actually have some sort of personal committment to a clearly defined ideology in the first place rather than just a rampant lust for power and self-aggrandizement at any and all costs.  Call me a cynic . . .
Or, I don't know, people change their political ideologies over time. I think that's a fairly common occurrence. I don't think many people start being gay when they're 46, though.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

DanCa wrote: Studies show

Stop right there, b/c you already lost me.  "Studies" can be conjured up by any interest group to support any position imaginable.  I can counter any study you present, with my own versions.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Dobson, on raising a heterosexual son:  "Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger."

Maitre D
Maitre D wrote: I like Dobson quite a bit.  I guess I've been "brainwashed"..... :lol:
chrizow:  awesome.

Chorus:  Praise be to God.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: Dobson, on raising a heterosexual son:  "Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger."

Wasn't this already posted?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Or, I don't know, people change their political ideologies over time. I think that's a fairly common occurrence. I don't think many people start being gay when they're 46, though.
I have no doubt that there are some politicians out there who would be perfectly willing to "become gay" at age 46 if it meant they stood a better chance of higher office - I am pretty sure some of these slimeballs would be willing to have sex with a horse on national TV if they could get a Senate seat in exchange.  I don't think the Log Cabin voting block has gotten quite strong enough to have that sort of influence though.  
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

It's funny that Dobson thinks having boys take showers and rough-house with their dads will prevent them from being gay. Get a clue old man...people are born with a predisposition to preferring one sex over the other. Some things can influence these a bit though...like sexual abuse...but for the most part, if you like girls when you come out the snatch, you're gonna like girls when you're 20.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I have no doubt that there are some politicians out there who would be perfectly willing to "become gay" at age 46 if it meant they stood a better chance of higher office - I am pretty sure some of these slimeballs would be willing to have sex with a horse on national TV if they could get a Senate seat in exchange.  I don't think the Log Cabin voting block has gotten quite strong enough to have that sort of influence though.  
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: It's funny that Dobson thinks having boys take showers and rough-house with their dads will prevent them from being gay. Get a clue old man...people are born with a predisposition to preferring one sex over the other. Some things can influence these a bit though...like sexual abuse...but for the most part, if you like girls when you come out the snatch, you're gonna like girls when you're 20.
I'm sure most men would get pissed if they came home and saw their son playing with a barbie doll.  Right or wrong, men want their boys to emulate them.  It's not a weird concept Dobson speaks to.

Now, let's talk about whether or not it can prevent homosexuality.  I tend to agree that it's in-born.  But I have no proof of it, and neither does science.  A large % of Americans do believe homosexuality can be learned or influenced.  If that's correct, his point isn't that odd.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Maitre D wrote: I'm sure most men would get pissed if they came home and saw their son playing with a barbie doll. 
That strikes me as a screwed up assumption and position.  Why shouldn't a boy play with dolls?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chrizow wrote: Dobson, on raising a heterosexual son:  "Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger."
Uh, that's not Dobson, folks.  It's this guy.