KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

scooterj wrote: It started with an establishing shot of downtown KC.   Too bad they used an old shot pre-P&L so it was mostly parking lots. 
You would think NBC could have found some stock footage that was shot in the last six years.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: You would think NBC could have found some stock footage that was shot in the last six years.
yeah. it's really unfortunate a picture featuring the Sprint Center and our nightlife mall wasn't shown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Channel surfing during breaks in the Chiefs game and I saw "Bang for the Buck" on HGTV. It had experts give critiques of basement remodels. Within 30 seconds I identified the city - Kansas City. Does KC have a distinctive home design style? It was three homes, I only caught two of em - one was Shawnee, one was Lee's Summit. They did have some nice downtown shots of KC, even though neither was very close to downtown.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Wound up watching "Dreamer" yesterday afternoon because I thought they shot part of it in Kansas City, I was wrong. The movie was a papy family drama, but pretty good all things considered.

While researching filing locations I came across a odd fact. The 1984 Clint Eastwood/Burt Reynolds film "City Heat" was originally titled "Kansas City Heat", and is set in 1930's Kansas City. Not a great film.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Watched "Outsourced" again last night.  The KC character kept talking about meat and BBQ.  It seems that his boss back home is always eating Bryant's. 

There was one mention of "back home in Kansas, BBQ is a religion."  I know that will piss off many of the Kansas haters, but I have sometimes found that it was easier to tell people abroad I was from Kansas than Kansas City (and I grew up in JOCO, so its not a huge deal).  Educating a foreigner on the difference isn't really worth it.  They can understand the Wizard of Oz and the childhood home of Superman, but they have no idea there is a city in an adjoining state with a similar name.  If anything, this show will put it in people's minds, both in the USA and when in syndication elsewhere, that KC is the BBQ king. 

Now, can we PLEASE get rid of Famous Dave's in the P&L?  There is never anyone there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The November 1 episode of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network will feature Big Momma's Bakery in KC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

KCMax wrote: The November 1 episode of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network will feature Big Momma's Bakery in KC.
Is this the place in Crown Center?  With the Big Mamma Cinnamon Roll?  Are there other locations?
On to the Next One
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

This is print, but, K-Stater wins Rolling Stone journalism award

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/news/col ... -1.2351188
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The lady lead in the movie "Reds" lives in the KC area.  No shots of KC except postcard like shots flashed on the screen.

Also, there is a program on the DIY Network called Renovation Realities about people redoing a part of their home themselves, usually a kitchen.  Some of the episodes can be quite funny.  Sat. night had a couple redoing their kitchen in an OP home. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The BBC supposedly has a live remote from the Plaza 810 FIFA announcement watch party. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hope they like sad endings.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

grovester wrote: Hope they like sad endings.
I am sure most of the BBC audience had probably already smashed their TV's by the time they got around to the 2022 announcement. 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

This may have been mentioned on here before, but in 1996 there was a show that debuted on the WB called "Malcolm & Eddie" starring Malcolm Jamal Warner from the Cosby Show.  The premise is that he and a friend own a bar in KC (Kelly's in Westport), and they live upstairs.  Pretty hilarious.  Check out the opening credits with skyline shots, highway signs, and a nice shot of the mural on the outer wall of Kelly's Westport Inn.

http://www.hulu.com/malcolm-and-eddie
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

That show was actually pretty popular amongst black people when it was on. It seems like every white person I talk to about this show has never heard of it, but every black person I talk to has at least heard of it (but thats just the people of those racial groups thats I have spoken with).
That being said, i though it represents KC better than about any other depictions of KC in fictional media. It showed black people, which makes up  a large percentage of the population in KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

nilsson1941 wrote: That show was actually pretty popular amongst black people when it was on. It seems like every white person I talk to about this show has never heard of it, but every black person I talk to has at least heard of it (but thats just the people of those racial groups thats I have spoken with).
That being said, i though it represents KC better than about any other depictions of KC in fictional media. It showed black people, which makes up  a large percentage of the population in KC.
I remember watching it quite often when I was a teenager.  I enjoyed it, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that it was set in KC. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I think Eddie Griffin is from Kansas City. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I liked that show, mainly because of the KC stuff.  In that clip alone, there's a Chiefs helmet and a KC Blades pennant at 1:05.  Good times.
KC is the way to be!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

nilsson1941 wrote: That show was actually pretty popular amongst black people when it was on. It seems like every white person I talk to about this show has never heard of it, but every black person I talk to has at least heard of it (but thats just the people of those racial groups thats I have spoken with).
I watched it and I am not black.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Outsourced was all about KC Chiefs and KC Bar-B-Que tonight.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

heatherkay wrote: I think Eddie Griffin is from Kansas City. 
Yep.  But he's a Raiders fan.  What a bitch.  :lol: