Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by mean »

Damn, that's too bad. Fazenda was really tasty stuff, but unfortunately I have no reason to be that far out in the middle of nowhere.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jardine's has re-opened, although it now has protesters outside.

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2011/12/ ... -last.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star's article on troubles at Jardines.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/15/33 ... -jazz.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote:The Star's article on troubles at Jardines.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/15/33 ... -jazz.html
The article also contains this
Cafe Augusta, a Lenexa restaurant that featured live jazz, announced it was closing after business on Dec. 31. That same week, 1911 Main reported it would be closing this month, just several weeks after opening as primarily a live jazz club in the former Bar Natasha site. At least one more show is scheduled: Jazz singer Megan Birdsall performs there at 8 p.m. Saturday
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I heard MatchBox on the Blvd has closed doors already
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thirsty's?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:Thirsty's?
I wish that place would go retail or just stop being a bar. It's becoming a joke.

It's a perfect place for an awesome coffee shop. Would be cool if City Market Coffee moved there and had outdoor seating.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Smokestack BBQ on Wornall closing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

thirstys is closed just didn't know if it was for good. Heard two different stories.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

if a bar can't make it in that spot, one can't make it anywhere in the River Market. It just needs to be a thoughtful, well ran place with some sort of defining characteristic other than "we don't sell Boulevard"
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ColumbusParkian wrote:if a bar can't make it in that spot, one can't make it anywhere in the River Market. It just needs to be a thoughtful, well ran place with some sort of defining characteristic other than "we don't sell Boulevard"
River Market 'bar scene' is sad. And it could be like Westport if they just added a few good spots down there and got a bit of momentum. It could be a nice downtown alternative to the P+L.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see a need for city market to have any huge bar scene. Its a good neighborhood as it is and has some good neighborhood bars. Martini corner is a good downtown alternative to p&l.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I don't mean to be an ass, but how is Martini Corner any different than P&L? With the exception that it is owned locally and has less help from public financing, it is still formulaic and targets the same crowd. Maybe they don't have a dress code (maybe they do?), but if you were blindfolded and thrown into the middle of any of those bars, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.
Westport is more an alternative to P&L, IMO.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:I don't see a need for city market to have any huge bar scene. Its a good neighborhood as it is and has some good neighborhood bars. Martini corner is a good downtown alternative to p&l.
LOL. Everything in the River Market closes at like 6:00 PM and is also closed on Sundays. In what world is that a good neighborhood?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I don't see a need for city market to have any huge bar scene. Its a good neighborhood as it is and has some good neighborhood bars. Martini corner is a good downtown alternative to p&l.
LOL. Everything in the River Market closes at like 6:00 PM and is also closed on Sundays. In what world is that a good neighborhood?

Hey! Everybody in the RM goes to bed at 8:00. You're lucky we keep the places open until 6:00.

And with regard to Sundays, well Phil Kline and Rick Perry aren't the only ones listening to G-d, you frickin heathens.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

Heh, my office is above a Westport bar and it seems alternative all right. I work pretty late a lot and have been able to observe its patrons smoking out front. I now refer to this place as the-bar-most-likely-to-get-crabs-in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote:
LOL, in what world does turning River Market into "westport" turn into a better neighborhood? I'm all for places staying open later (like Minskys, Harrys, Bo Lings, Hikocks, Farmhouse) currently does but it does currently have a good neighborhood feel, although I do admit I'm not there many times after 8pm....and probably how most in living there like it.

Taxi....did think of that as I typed it....guess what makes any bar different then? They are all programmed towards some crowd.

Probably better as it's own topic rather than here.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

taxi wrote:I don't mean to be an ass, but how is Martini Corner any different than P&L? With the exception that it is owned locally and has less help from public financing, it is still formulaic and targets the same crowd. Maybe they don't have a dress code (maybe they do?), but if you were blindfolded and thrown into the middle of any of those bars, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.
Westport is more an alternative to P&L, IMO.
Martini Corner and P/L are not the same thing. Velvet Dog, Tower Tavern and The Drop all have their own basic crowds that don't really overlap with what's going on the P&L. I'll grant that Monaco and Sol Cantina go after the same crowd , but that doesn't define the whole block.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:thirstys is closed just didn't know if it was for good. Heard two different stories.
Closed for good. Will re-open as The Blue Line, or something like that. Sign says new management.

Honestly, I don't understand all the comments bashing River Market. There are several restaurants and bars open past 6pm, just not in the City Market itself (though Hien Vuong most certainly is open for dinner, and a delicious one at that). Thirsty's isn't closing for lack of potential customer base. They're closing because they are horrible at running a business. These are the same people who ran Dos Hombres. Note that Hickok's appears to be thriving in the former Dos Hombres space--even on weeknights.

Thirsty's... was always the last resort bar in the River Market proper. Thirsty's... was the bar you went to when 1am hit and Harry's kicked you out. Thirsty's... was the bar you had the cab drop you off at when you really should have had it take you the rest of the way home. Thirsty's...was always the wrong decision.

As was said above, if your bar can't succeed on that corner, you're doing it wrong. Good riddance.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Thirsty's was named... Thirsty's.

If that's not just the lamest name for a bar. It's like the name of a 40s-something sports bar in an Olathe stripmall.