Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by KCLofts »

Same news on KC Confidential.

Hearne used to date Beena, so I suppose the info is pretty accurate.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

elextendo wrote:Welp, I just read on Tonys KC blog ( so it must be true) Jardines is closed..Anyone?
Saw that on the news last night. Sad. Although there was conflicting info, it seemed like the usual, hopeful, optimistic misinformation when a place is going under.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

hold the phone....Herne dated a lady?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Charles Feruzza with the rumor that Sharp's in Brookside may close to be re-opened by a "local restauranteur."

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... reet-grill
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

So there's a sign on the door at Jardine's saying that they are hiring ALL positions, and will be reopen on December 16th. But, this is an interesting read:

http://tipsfortips.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... nes-story/

Sad story, indeed. Unfortunate considering Jardine's was probably the best live jazz venue in the city. I can't see it recovering from this under current ownership/management. Some in the jazz community are already speaking out against the venue on FB and Twitter.
The Waiter
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by The Waiter »

Thank you for sharing that link. The employees in this situation really got hosed by an owner that was spinning out of control. I tried to stick to facts in the story, but have heard multiple sources confirming most of the rumors that are floating around.

Also I am glad I found this site. I thought most of the message boards in town died with KCForum. Is this related to the old KCSkycrapers site?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yup....

kcforum. Awesome. Is it gone?
The Waiter
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by The Waiter »

KCPowercat wrote:Yup....

kcforum. Awesome. Is it gone?
I think it is still around. I popped my head in yesterday. Still not what it was back in the day.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, this is the KCSkyscrapers message board. All the old posts are still here from all the way back in (jesus) 2002...
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Sharp's in Brookside will close on Jan. 15. Will be turned into a Michael Forbes Grill.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCLofts wrote:Sharp's in Brookside will close on Jan. 15. Will be turned into a Michael Forbes Grill.
I don't know who Michael Forbes is, but I imagine just about anything would be an upgrade.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Michael Forbes Grill used to be in Waldo, I think where Lew's bar is now.

From the Pitch:
The original Michael Forbes Grill, located in Waldo from 1985 to 1999, was a clubby and comfortable pub that served comfort food, including what was then the best fried catfish in the city.

It is the brainchild of Forbes Cross, who recently opened up Hickok's in the River Market.

I don't remember much about the old MFG. We would take my grandmother there for the catfish, which was her favorite.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I remember Michael Forbes. They had really good fried chicken served with family-sized sides. Kind of like Stroud's without the aw-shucks, "we're country" feel.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Michael Forbes was a great restaurant. It was one of my Dad's favorite places.. I even spent my 21st birthday there and they carded me when I ordered a beer! I was so excited :lol: ... It's where Lew's in Waldo is now. All the old photos in Lew's is from Forbes. It was an example of exactly what restaurants were in the 80's and 90's. Kind of continental / comfort food in a very masculine but casual atmosphere. At the time Forbes Cross and Stu Stram and another partner had Michael Forbes, Parkway 600 and one other place I cannot remember...anyway it was a good place for it's time...I'm not sure if it would be a good fit (in it's original form) now but I'm curious if he recaptures some of the old magic!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was pleasantly surprised by Hickok's, so I'm looking forward to this new concept.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

This is great news - we loved Michael Forbes and ate there all of the time. I was devastated when it closed. What I remember most about it was their steak tartare (probably about the only place serving it back then) and their mussels.

@Colby - Greg and I agree on something. Wake the kids and phone the neighbors!
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Foster's Grille closed in Overland Park.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I always loved taking the southwest corridor light rail out there for an evening at the Olde Grille as we all affectionately called it. Shame. It was the only place to get Poutine and play grab ass with a RCMP dressed waiter/waitress. Of course there were the 1 dollar Foster keg can nights...needless to say I never made the last train those nights, eh....
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

moosnsqrl wrote:This is great news - we loved Michael Forbes and ate there all of the time. I was devastated when it closed. What I remember most about it was their steak tartare (probably about the only place serving it back then) and their mussels.

@Colby - Greg and I agree on something. Wake the kids and phone the neighbors!

Maybe we'll have to get you 2 at the same table when it reopens!!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Someone on Yelp mentioned Fazenda Brazilian Grill Closed, it was up in the Northland, it was similar to Em Chamas and Foga De Chao except the food was weighed by the pound. I really enjoyed this place and I always stopped here before an evening flight.

I think something like this could survive if it was in a better location, that strip mall is horrible.