Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by KCKev »

They need to get the KC Roller Warriors in there . What would be more fun then a few drinks in the
P&L then watching womens Flat Track roller derby at the wonderful Sprint Center?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

as a watched the circus roll into town down Oak today, I was reminded of a voice from the past....
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Food for thought on a possible downtown arena.

I am sure other downtown arenas accommodate these types of events quite well but how the Sprint Center handles these events may affect how the arena and/or surrounding area looks.  Other shows may have some similiar needs.

Ringling Brothers Circus
Currently the circus travels by a mile long train.  Performers and workers travel and live on the train.  Kemper Arena can support this event very well because of its surroundings.  The train stays on tracks within walking distance of the arena and the animals stay in the Governors' Building.  Can the train stay anywhere close to 14th and Grand?  Where can the animals be maintained?

Guess one solution would be to have one or two blocks of surface parking next to the arena. Won't accommodate the train but the animals, trucks, and busses.  This would require that the surface area be by the so-called back door to the arena.  Would the back door face Grand or to the South?  The North?  I am assuming that the front door, or main entrance, would be facing KC Live across Grand.

Just trying to bring more discussion into this subject.
Seems Sprint is handling it quite well w/o surface lots right next to it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Good.

So where are the animals being housed?  And the train?

Hell, the circus goes into other areas, my point was how would it work here.  Was the SC going to be like Muni when the Police Circus is in town with all of the vehicles parked around it?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wasn't saying anything negative about your posts....just that I was reminded of it when I saw them walking down the street.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Only six dates filled in September and six in October. Is this a concern or is this normal?

http://www.sprintcenter.com/
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

SC had booked more touring acts than most arenas despite some slow months. But lately, it hasn't been as high as the first year of booking.  Still about the same or higher than arenas in larger cities though.

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?B ... _green.y=0

BTW, Sprint Center had the 14th highest attendance of US arenas (even w/out a sports anchor) and exceeded revenue projections for the first year.  The second year of operation will be the test if an anchor is needed to meet expected revenues.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Economy probably dictating the lack of concerts more than anything else

Nobody wants to blow $95 on jethro tull right now
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

Maitre D wrote: Economy probably dictating the lack of concerts more than anything else

Nobody wants to blow $95 on jethro tull right now
And have the drunk behind you screaming ""Yeah, which one's Jethro?"

True Story!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I bet there are some folks out there wishing they had back that grand a ticket they spent buying Hannah Montana on Ebay. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCMax wrote: Only six dates filled in September and six in October. Is this a concern or is this normal?

http://www.sprintcenter.com/
It is quite normal for arenas in markets like KC.  September is slow because of back-to-school and October is usually slow since the NBA/NHL seasons have not begun.

SC had something like 140 event days its first year.  140 divided by 12 equals just about 13 event days per month on average.  Kemper was always slow during the May through September period and the SC probably should be about the same.  Busy time for arenas are the fall and winter and early spring months.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

One advantage Sprint Center has by not having a sports anchor is that there is opportunity for more events that may draw more attendance than a team, especially if the team is not performing above average.

Here's the number of touring events (non-sports) currently scheduled per arena according to pollstar.com...
KC - Sprint Center - 17
Seattle - Key Arena - 5
LA - Staples Center - 10
Minneapolis - Target Center - 10
STL - Scottrade - 9
Denver - Pepsi Center - 8
Dallas - AA Center - 17
Atlanta - Phillips - 13
DC - Verizon - 13
NYC - MSG - 15

I couldn't find any arena that has more 'concerts' booked than SC.  There may more more total events when including sports, but if it's a poor performing team, there may be more profit per event from concerts that would likely be at least 2/3 full.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ignatius wrote: One advantage Sprint Center has by not having a sports anchor is that there is opportunity for more events that may draw more attendance than a team, especially if the team is not performing above average.

Here's the number of touring events (non-sports) currently scheduled per arena according to pollstar.com...
KC - Sprint Center - 17
Seattle - Key Arena - 5
LA - Staples Center - 10
Minneapolis - Target Center - 10
STL - Scottrade - 9
Denver - Pepsi Center - 8
Dallas - AA Center - 17
Atlanta - Phillips - 13
DC - Verizon - 13
NYC - MSG - 15

I couldn't find any arena that has more 'concerts' booked than SC.  There may more more total events when including sports, but if it's a poor performing team, there may be more profit per event from concerts that would likely be at least 2/3 full.
To be totally fair, arenas used for sports, whether that sport is profitable or not, have less flexibility to book concerts because so many of the dates are already taken.  That said, the AA center managed to attract as many concerts as the Sprint Arena with two anchors. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Highlander wrote: To be totally fair, arenas used for sports, whether that sport is profitable or not, have less flexibility to book concerts because so many of the dates are already taken.  That said, the AA center managed to attract as many concerts as the Sprint Arena with two anchors. 
To be totally fair, in a metro area more three times our size.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Plus, to be totally totally fair... does that list account for sporting events that aren't associated with an anchor sports tenant?  For example, the 17 number for sprint center doesn't include things like the NHL game earlier this week or the NBA game next month -- even though those are sporting events, they are still legitimate "non-anchor" events that draw people to the Sprint Center.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Cheffreygo wrote: Plus, to be totally totally fair... does that list account for sporting events that aren't associated with an anchor sports tenant?  For example, the 17 number for sprint center doesn't include things like the NHL game earlier this week or the NBA game next month -- even though those are sporting events, they are still legitimate "non-anchor" events that draw people to the Sprint Center.
Not to mention the CBE and the KSU and KU basketball games. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

ignatius wrote: I couldn't find any arena that has more 'concerts' booked than SC.  There may more more total events when including sports, but if it's a poor performing team, there may be more profit per event from concerts that would likely be at least 2/3 full.
Since we are not talking about religion we do have some agreement.

Traditionally, a concert with a crowd of 14,000 should make the arena more money than a tenant NBA/NHL game.  Why?

Rent is usually higher.  More novelty sales.  User Fees higher, if based on a % of ticket price, since concert tickets as a whole are higher.  Plus the arena may make more money off of side services, such as ticketing, event personnel, advertising assistance, and so on.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Do not remember where I read it, but AEG has said in order for this to work the SC will have to have a long term pro tenant.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

That contradicts their stance taken when the SC was announced.  They said the arena is financially feasible without a major tenant.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mykem wrote: Do not remember where I read it, but AEG has said in order for this to work the SC will have to have a long term pro tenant.
wonder where?  I never remember reading anything like that.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

then why did LIEweke offer the pens & preds 1/2 ownership of the operating rights to SC if a pro team isn't necessary?

it'snot alwasy about what someone says, powercat.  you need to look beyond press releases and quotes.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin