Fear of an Urban Planet...

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fear of an Urban Planet...

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: Raytowna Beach has apparently rendered you brainwashed. Or, "brainwarshed" as they like to say in rural Kansas.
actually, i only stand in ATM drive-thrus when i am on foot in the urban utopia of kcmo. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: Car exhaust is awesome!
Not to mention the potential for someone to come flying in there in their outsized vehicle without expecting some poor out of place pedestrian to be standing in front of the machine - ouch!  
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Tosspot wrote: Does it ever feel ridiculous standing between cars? It's the same issue that gets talked about on this board all the time, design. Instead of designing the human environment for humans, we design it for the goddamned cars.
No more ridiculous than I've felt walking or biking while other people drive by -- that is, not ridiculous at all.

No bank is going to make life difficult for drive-up customers because they're still the vast majority in most places and will be indefinitely.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Tosspot wrote:

The rest of your post was a pseudo-sympathizing logorrheic pile of tripe-ish hurl that I don't know what to make of, other than you really enjoy seeing your writing on a computer screen.
look who is talking, you seem to think the forum is your showplace to show off your photoshop skills, your ability to make up words, and your ability to tell the rest of us how "dumbfuckerous" we are all for using cars. noone is as smart as you there toss!!
Tosspot wrote: I live four and a half miles south of downtown. And this part of the city was the first to be settled, so don't give me your bullshit about moving or whatever else you're about to bloviate about.

well if you live that close to downtown, take a fucking bus to the core, and go to a walk up only branch so you will quit crying about it.
nota wrote: and "dumbfuckerous" is????? Kind of funny comment for the king of the made up words.

They have meds for blood pressure you know. You seem to be getting yours up for no good reason here. Bank on the internet. Use an ATM. There is hardly any transaction one needs to do inside a bank if one doesn't want to?

pretty much, i just do my banking online, unless i am depositing a check, which is rare since they have this groovy concept called direct deposit. love the hypocracy here dont you nota?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Wow. Who pissed in chef's Cheerio's this morning?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: Wow. Who pissed in chef's Cheerio's this morning?
I got angry at him last night.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kcdcchef wrote: look who is talking, you seem to think the forum is your showplace to show off your photoshop skills, your ability to make up words, and your ability to tell the rest of us how "dumbfuckerous" we are all for using cars. noone is as smart as you there toss!!
You forgot dispensing investment tips. I've taken to that too.  :D

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Tosspot wrote: If this car dependency and all the revolting accessories that go along with it are the realization of the ballyhooed "American Dream" bullshit then I say it's about time to take the American Dream, throw it on the ground, and spit and stomp all over it. I'm fucking fed up with this crap. I had three errands to take care of along Westport Rd between Southwest Trafficway and State Line. The first involved getting a haircut in the Blockbuster Video strip mall gulag. Then later a bike ride over to the Commerce Bank on 43rd just on the other side of State Line. What a horrific experience. I got inside the front lobby and in the back of a line full of a gaggle of hicks going on about having babies and being great-grandparents. It resonated with all the melodic erudition of Breeders Weekly Magazine. You could just feel the downhome country goodness of the whole revolting display. But that's not entirely what pissed me off; what pissed me off was that I had to wait in the goddamned line for twenty minutes for the one single teller put there by the brainless dumbfuckerous witless moronic car slave nimrodded dolts who run Commerce Bank. The rest of the tellers were all alotted to the drive thru -- by golly gee wee best be caterin' to dem car slaves! or so the reasoning goes with nearly all of the business and development practice not only in this city but this entire fucked up nation that has soldiers dying in its name daily for a nation whose collective landscape has been raped and maimed into shitscape that makes this a country not even worth defending. The American Dream -- it can get bent.
:shock:  Wow, you are bitter...
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

If you guys can cut through the bitterness you'll see some good observations.  They may not be shocking! anymore but it still doesn't mean you should "just accept it," like I see everyone telling Toss to do.

Why should banks, etc cater to people in cars over pedestrians?

Why are the people in the bank so annoying / "stupid?"

Why should people in cars have higher status when moving around and make pedestrians wait for them to stop before crossing a street?

These kind of situations aren't ideal for urban environments and unless we recognize that then KC will stay as suburban as it currently is.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

-Why should banks, etc cater to people in cars over pedestrians?

I would guess its because of money. People like convenience and it is perceived to be much more convenient to drive-thru in our society. Banks want to provide drive-thru service to seem more convenient and get your business. Having invested in a drive-thru apparatus they want to justify the investment by catering to drivers, sometimes at the expense of walk-in customers. It could also be possible that drive-thru customers are quicker, because the services they require are simpler, thus you can service more customers in the drive-thru, which means more business for you.

IOW, I don't blame the banks, I blame society for being so auto-centric. Banks will change when the market dictates they should change. That's why you see fewer drive-thru banks in dense, urban locations.

-Why are the people in the bank so annoying / "stupid?"

Meh. There are stupid people in the world.

-Why should people in cars have higher status when moving around and make pedestrians wait for them to stop before crossing a street?

They absolutely shouldn't and I blame this on city planners and transportation engineers and again a society that grew up in a world where people drive, not walk.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Kard wrote: If you guys can cut through the bitterness you'll see some good observations.  They may not be shocking! anymore but it still doesn't mean you should "just accept it," like I see everyone telling Toss to do.

Why should banks, etc cater to people in cars over pedestrians?

Why are the people in the bank so annoying / "stupid?"

Why should people in cars have higher status when moving around and make pedestrians wait for them to stop before crossing a street?

These kind of situations aren't ideal for urban environments and unless we recognize that then KC will stay as suburban as it currently is.
I'm not saying that driving is better than walking for oneself or the community. It isn't. But . . .
Kard wrote: Why should banks, etc cater to people in cars over pedestrians?
No bank is going to make life difficult for drive-up customers because they're still the vast majority in most places and will be indefinitely.
Kard wrote: Why are the people in the bank so annoying / "stupid?"
That's a matter of opinion. Why not celebrate the diversity of people you encounter each day?
Kard wrote: Why should people in cars have higher status when moving around and make pedestrians wait for them to stop before crossing a street?
See answer No. 1. Few cities are going to make life difficult for drivers if that's the way most of their citizens get around.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

My point is:  Don't razz someone because they point out negative experiences while living in the built environment.
KCMax wrote: IOW, I don't blame the banks, I blame society for being so auto-centric. Banks will change when the market dictates they should change. That's why you see fewer drive-thru banks in dense, urban locations.
This illustrates the point I'm trying to make--we're so far gone form walkability here that it's difficult to do simple things with OUT a car.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I still don't understand why it's considered "difficult" to use a drive-through ATM while on foot or a bike. I've been doing it for years and have never had a problem.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Kard wrote: My point is:  Don't razz someone because they point out negative experiences while living in the built environment.
I'll always razz somebody that has 90% of their forum posts focused on how shitty American society is, in their opinion.  America is auto-centric, sure, but there is good and bad associated with this.  Autos and Pedestrians can co-exist but as KCMax stated earlier, that is the defciency of the planners.

KC0KEK wrote: I still don't understand why it's considered "difficult" to use a drive-through ATM while on foot or a bike. I've been doing it for years and have never had a problem.
Yeah, they worked just as well for me on foot, bike, or in the car.  I have not yet been denied service by an ATM because of my mode of transportation.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I imagine the walk up vs. drive through ATM thing is entirely a question of demand.  I know there are several banks in DT and Midtown that have either both or even some that have walk up only.  The fact that there are still some around that are drive through only in these areas probably has as much to do with the fact that there are areas of town where economically viable pedestrian traffic has only recently come back if at all.  If an area has strong ped activity why wouldn't you stick an ATM out on the sidewalk?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Kard wrote: My point is:  Don't razz someone because they point out negative experiences while living in the built environment.
When an adult points out negative experiences sounding like a child throwing a tantrum why not razz him/her?

Guess I could do a posting about negative experiences standing in lines surrounded by people talking loudly on cell phones and, of course, the obnoxious ring tones.  Or what about driving down the street or even in my home being blasted by a car utilizing crude rap songs. :)

Now, those are things to really rant and rave about.
:) :)
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Guess I could do a posting about negative experiences standing in lines surrounded by people talking loudly on cell phones and, of course, the obnoxious ring tones.  Or what about driving down the street or even in my home being blasted by a car utilizing crude rap songs. :)

:) :)
Or how about those vacant eyed, slack jawed folks with their ipods stuck into their head paying no attention to where they are going while they are in stores, businesses, etc.  :lol: :lol:

Anyone else?
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I'm almost ashamed to admit here that I occasionally pick up fast food in my car, but I see signs posted there, warning pedestrians not to walk up to the drive-through counter. So I was surprised to hear that forum folks walk up to ATM machines designed to accommodate drivers. I wonder why there is a difference?
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

As for Toss' expressive commentary, I say let's cut him some slack. It is normal to "open up," "vent," or whatever you want to call it in a safe place. Therefore, we should feel flattered that he chooses to unload on us, instead of the line-loafin' ladies at the bank. He deserves commendation for not lashing out at them. Hey! I just spent a week at Disney World with a four-year-old! Do you suppose if I banged my head against the wall I would no longer hear, "It's a Small World After All. It's a Small World After All. It's a Small World After All. It's a Small, Small World"? (Who was that strange woman, running through the water and ripping the heads off those cute little people?)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Roanoker wrote: I'm almost ashamed to admit here that I occasionally pick up fast food in my car, but I see signs posted there, warning pedestrians not to walk up to the drive-through counter. So I was surprised to hear that forum folks walk up to ATM machines designed to accommodate drivers. I wonder why there is a difference?
Businesses afraid of the pedestrians being hit by cars.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.