18th and Vine

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 18th and Vine

Post by trailerkid »

MightyKC wrote: I was at the Foundation last night and heard some great jazz as usual.  If you have never gone, it is worth the experience.  18th and Harrison.  As many of you know, they used to serve beer for a $3 'donation' but they got called out on it and lost that privilege.  They can now only serve beer upstairs until 3am.  Starting next month, on Charlie Parkers birthday, they will get their 24hr license back and again, start serving until 5am
Why doesn't the city/state allow more late night liquor licenses to businesses that strive to provide an outlet for the city's jazz heritage. Set up more jazz halls along the corridor. its 18th and Vine could regain status as a destination if the primary focus was on encouraging the area as an artistic and cultural gem instead of a generic Cosbyfied neighborhood.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

trailerkid wrote: a generic Cosbyfied neighborhood.
Please define?
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

trailerkid wrote: Why doesn't the city/state allow more late night liquor licenses to businesses that strive to provide an outlet for the city's jazz heritage. Set up more jazz halls along the corridor. its 18th and Vine could regain status as a destination if the primary focus was on encouraging the area as an artistic and cultural gem instead of a generic Cosbyfied neighborhood.
That's a little arrogant, don't you think?
I'm glad people are talking about the district.  I would say that prudence is necessary in issuing such licenses.  No neighborhood wants to be overrun by bars with 24 hour license.  Once you giveth, you cannot take it back.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pastense wrote: Please define?
Everything is covered in bad sweaters.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

cdm2p wrote: That's a little arrogant, don't you think?
I'm glad people are talking about the district.  I would say that prudence is necessary in issuing such licenses.  No neighborhood wants to be overrun by bars with 24 hour license.  Once you giveth, you cannot take it back.
I don't think it's arrogant to take a boring-as-white bread neighborhood and reconnect it with its roots-- jazz music.

generic Cosbyfied neighborhood = Zona Rosa architecture with businesses appealing to affluent African Americans. BTW, I don't have a problem with such development, but I don't think it's succeeding in the least.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

trailerkid wrote: I don't think it's arrogant to take a boring-as-white bread neighborhood and reconnect it with its roots-- jazz music.

generic Cosbyfied neighborhood = Zona Rosa architecture with businesses appealing to affluent African Americans. BTW, I don't have a problem with such development, but I don't think it's succeeding in the least.
I call those types of projects Disneyfied.
If you think Zona Rosa is disneyfied, wait until you see the Power and Light District.  The only thing that will differentiate it from disney world is the fact that there won't be parades every hour and you won't Mickey Mouse walking down the street.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote: Why doesn't the city/state allow more late night liquor licenses to businesses that strive to provide an outlet for the city's jazz heritage. Set up more jazz halls along the corridor. its 18th and Vine could regain status as a destination if the primary focus was on encouraging the area as an artistic and cultural gem instead of a generic Cosbyfied neighborhood.
Do you really think you are going to be doing our jazz heritage any favors by making 18th and Vine the defacto place to go after the 3:00 bars close?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

staubio wrote: Do you really think you are going to be doing our jazz heritage any favors by making 18th and Vine the defacto place to go after the 3:00 bars close?
Isn't an all night environment like this the reason we have our "jazz heritage"?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

MightyKC wrote: I was at the Foundation last night and heard some great jazz as usual.  If you have never gone, it is worth the experience.  18th and Harrison.  As many of you know, they used to serve beer for a $3 'donation' but they got called out on it and lost that privilege.  They can now only serve beer upstairs until 3am.  Starting next month, on Charlie Parkers birthday, they will get their 24hr license back and again, start serving until 5am
Did I miss a Pitch article on this?  Personally, great news.  Although, now with all the publicity around getting this authentic license, will it bring in a bunch of douches?  Hope not...I continued to go for a while after they were slapped on the wrist and it just wasn't the same place.  Haven't been in a while, I'll have to go check it out again soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'd hardly characterize the 18th and Vine as crime-ridden and populated with gangs.

The managers of the district need to get someone like Magic Johnson, and his development company, to come in and package it.
There is no fifth destination.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

voltopt wrote: Isn't an all night environment like this the reason we have our "jazz heritage"?
Sure, but we can't force people to appreciate jazz by giving them a place to drink until sunrise. I'm pretty sure such a move would just turn 18th and Vine into a Westport II, with folks hopping cabs (or worse yet, driving) over from Kelly's so they can keep getting their drink on.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

staubio wrote: Sure, but we can't force people to appreciate jazz by giving them a place to drink until sunrise. I'm pretty sure such a move would just turn 18th and Vine into a Westport II, with folks hopping cabs (or worse yet, driving) over from Kelly's so they can keep getting their drink on.
I agree.  If only there was an organized crime type element to maintain control over the district....
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

voltopt wrote: I agree.  If only there was an organized crime type element to maintain control over the district....
If you folks want to organize a Rag mob, i'm down for that.  As long as we have matching suits....

(i've got some sequin vests.... if anyone's interested)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

If you folks want to organize a Rag mob, i'm down for that.  As long as we have matching suits....
Uh oh - sounds like we're going to need another logo.....
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

voltopt wrote: Isn't an all night environment like this the reason we have our "jazz heritage"?
My visit to New Orleans around Halloween '06 showed me what a 'jazz town' is.  Even in its decimated state, the funk- actual stink and palpable spirit- was overwhelming.  So vital. 

KC's case is one where you have to be reminded of the jazz, 'cause otherwise, it isn't there.  18th and Vine is Cosby, Disney and Marsalis.  Over. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the jazz clubs should be concentrated more along Vine and Highland in the older buildings--like the Mardi Gras club, the faux-Boone Theater, or the Lincoln Building.  Other unique locations could be the Park and Water Department structures on Vine south of the railroad tracks.

I believe the City could reinvigorate the jazz district if a specialty school for the conservation of jazz music was set up in the district.  It could be part of the Conservatory of Music at UMKC.  Perhaps it could be in the old school building at 19th and Woodland.  The jazz school could also work with Lincoln Prep introducing the art form to young people.

I think special liquor licenses with extended hours could benefit the District. Who cares what the motive is for people staying out later?  The clubs would benefit, and it would introduce more people to the art form.  The later hours might also support restaurants open for breakfast.

Another idea to prop up the district is to provide retirement housing for retired jazz musicians from all over the country. They could be used as faculty at the music school.  A foundation could be set up to provide them with subsidized rents.  Concentrating veteran musicians in the neighborhood could provide continuity and experience within the area and give the school a lot of legitimacy and gravitas.  Jazz preservation comes down to the musicians themselves and the ability to pass the skill on to younger people. It would also add lifeblood to the neighborhood.

Ultimately, it will be up to the black community to rebuild the neighborhood.  It would help a great deal if there were basic services there like a post office, bank, ice cream parlor, and a small grocery or drug store. I would also think a musical instrument store would be a great addition to the neighborhood.  Another option would be a book/card/music store that carries a lot of titles geared towards the black community.  I know it sounds rather silly, but I've noticed that black women like to wear hats to church, so a specialty women's hat store might be popular.

One of the biggest ongoing problems with the jazz district is the lack of housing within walking distance.  Much of the housing in the area has been removed and not replaced.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

City is discussing new gateway signing to the district...

News from City Hall
City Communications Office
City of Kansas City, Mo.
www.kcmo.org
CONTACT: Mary Charles, City Communications Officer, (816) 513-1356
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Aug. 14, 2007

Public meeting on Aug. 21 for 18th and Vine District project

The City of Kansas City, Mo., residents and business owners are invited to attend a public meeting to discuss plans for a series of gateway signs that will be installed at the east and west entrances of the historic 18th and Vine District.

The meeting will be held from 5:30-7:00 p.m. on Aug. 21 at the Gregg Klice Community Center, 1600 E. 17th Terrace.

The goal of the project is to create gateway features that will serve as landmarks for the district, highlighting its physical boundaries and further strengthening the district's presence as a tourism and entertainment destination in the city. The Capital Improvements Management Office is managing this project and Moody Nolan, Inc., will provide architectural and design services.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's a good idea. They should also renovate the dilapidated buildings between I-70 and the district so that tourists don't think they're lost in the wrong part of town.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You've got my vote KCMax.  I think Truman Road is totally underutilized as a retail strip for stores that don't fit downtown--like big box outlets.  I'd love for a Big Lots store, Hobby Lobby, Blockbuster, or Hy-Vee to go in along that strip.  If Beacon Hill ever gets built, I think a video/music store might do well in the Jazz District's 18th St. retail buildings.

As far as the gateway goes, I think it's a good idea.  Something like what the City Market has would be nice. It would also be cool to put something like neon saxophones on the street lamps in the District to distinguish it.

That jazz district monument at 12th and Vine is rather pathetic since it's so barren around it.  That area used to be lined with old buildings with clubs, pool halls, and restaurants. Instead of a park or monument, the area would benefit from construction of retail and residential buildings that created a streetscape of buildings fronting the sidewalks.  The park setting just doesn't work there.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

FangKC wrote: ...I think Truman Road is totally underutilized as a retail strip for stores that don't fit downtown--like big box outlets.  I'd love for a Big Lots store, Hobby Lobby, Blockbuster, or Hy-Vee to go in along that strip.  If Beacon Hill ever gets built, I think a video/music store might do well in the Jazz District's 18th St. retail buildings.
I hate to see the flavor of Truman Rd. watered down more than it's already been, but honestly, to get it's pulse ticking again, I believe the recommendations you've made here are absolutely spot on.  I know i'd bliss out if there were a Hobby Lobby or Michaels there...and a Big Lots would make me pretty happy too.  I only recently discovered the joy of Big Lots when I bought a Dirt Devil from them a week ago, but I had to drive north across the river.  Going to buy household stuff shouldn't have to be such a big deal (or big trek) so whoever is the first to put in a Big Lots or Target closer into the city will have my undying loyalty. 
FangKC wrote:That jazz district monument at 12th and Vine is rather pathetic since it's so barren around it.  That area used to be lined with old buildings with clubs, pool halls, and restaurants. Instead of a park or monument, the area would benefit from construction of retail and residential buildings that created a streetscape of buildings fronting the sidewalks.  The park setting just doesn't work there.

I actually like the park there, but it'd seem less like a giant yawn in the landscape if it were shrunk a bit by putting in a healthy dose of the retail and residential buildings you suggest here.  I don't often see people using that park, and when I do there are usually less than a handful of people there, so...?  I admit I only go by it a couple times a week though, so maybe i'm off the mark.