Kansas City NHL Articles

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Kansas City NHL Articles

Post by DowntownBryan »

Right, right. I don't disagree with the interest of the Blues here in Kansas City. There have been Blues alumni games at Pepsi Ice Midwest, and for the intro music to the KC High School Hockey games they jacked the theme of the Blues intro. Also at the past 3 NHL exhib's here I have sat around and talked with Blues fans that live in Overland Park, Independence, Mission Hills, and everywhere in between. There would be a whole lot of interest in the Blues here, but that doesn't make them our "rivals".
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

More on moving the Pens -- albeit to Canada:

"(Moving the team) is much more than speculation," said Drew Dorweiler, a Montreal-based business valuator who helps Forbes magazine compile its annual NHL franchise value rankings. "It's a viable alternative."

Rest at http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 0599119419.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

Seattle and Portland are once again mentioned as the forerunners for the next possible city. This baffles me.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm in the Bay area right now and the San Francisco paper was slamming StL a bit covering a recent game with the Sharks.

An "announced" crowd of 8500, but it couldn't have been more than 3500 people there the paper said. 

"Sad"

What has happend to the Blues fans?  If they don't figure it out, there won't be a team in StL by the time KC gets one (if we ever do).
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: What has happend to the Blues fans?  If they don't figure it out, there won't be a team in StL by the time KC gets one (if we ever do).
I saw bits of that game on TV and the attendance was terrible.  Way more empty seats in the lower bowl then people.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Kard wrote: I saw bits of that game on TV and the attendance was terrible.  Way more empty seats in the lower bowl then people.
Well, was it during the storm?

Mizzou Arena allowed all upper-tank fans to move lower level the other nite.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

DowntownBryan wrote: Seattle and Portland are once again mentioned as the forerunners for the next possible city. This baffles me.
They're larger markets, which is important for NHL teams because the league doesn't have a lucrative TV contract. As a result, teams are much more dependent on ticket sales than, say, in the NBA.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Well, was it during the storm?

Mizzou Arena allowed all upper-tank fans to move lower level the other nite.
I watched the Blues vs. Predators on FSN St. Louis, oh i mean Midwest, and it looked as if there was only 4000 people there tops, and the announcers said that they were suprised even 4000 showed up due to the severe ice storm that had just blown it, so I understand if they have that low of attendance for these couple games. About a month or two ago, Buffalo got hammered with a huge ice storm and they onl drew about 8000 for that game, and this was in the midst of their huge 13-0 win streak or something (that game was actually the one they beat Philly 9-1). So yeah the reason for the low attendance at the last few Blues games was because of the storm.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

DowntownBryan wrote: I watched the Blues vs. Predators on FSN St. Louis, oh i mean Midwest
Yeah, is anyone else tired of seeing only Cards, Rams, Blues, and Pacers crap on that channel? If it's FSN Midwest, shouldn't they be focusing on the entire Midwest and not just two cities?

On the topic of Indy sports, I think I'm gonna go nuts if I see another Peyton Manning commercial. This guy has to have like 20 different endorsments.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Well, if the Chiefs go to the Super Bowl this year and win, I'd imagine that there would be endless Trent Green and LJ commercials on that channel!
"Let's get it!"
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: I'm in the Bay area right now and the San Francisco paper was slamming StL a bit covering a recent game with the Sharks.

An "announced" crowd of 8500, but it couldn't have been more than 3500 people there the paper said. 

"Sad"

What has happend to the Blues fans?  If they don't figure it out, there won't be a team in StL by the time KC gets one (if we ever do).
A buddy of mine is a diehard Blues fan and partial season ticket holder. Apparently the new owner last year pissed a lot of fans by dismantling the team. They're basically starting over and were one of the worst teams in hockey last year.

What has happened to Blues fans is basically what has happened to Royals fans.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just 36 short years ago the NHL assumed ownership of the Pittsburg Penguinos because of ownership problems. Sounds like they should move them, and move then now!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Blues fans have probably been a bit spoiled, having gone a couple of decades making the playoffs, so I wouldn't blame them if they are not as patient when they are not making it.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcmetro wrote: Yeah, is anyone else tired of seeing only Cards, Rams, Blues, and Pacers crap on that channel? If it's FSN Midwest, shouldn't they be focusing on the entire Midwest and not just two cities?
What do you want to watch?  The Royals have their own network.  The Chiefs are hands-off.  Maybe the T-Bones?  ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've long said that RSTN should get some sort of agreement with the Big XII to show non-ABC football games, area hoops games, and alternative sports (baseball mostly), as well as coaches shows and classic games (if they can get the rights).

I'm sure there are obstacles to doing that though. The Royals really need to make RSTN a regional sports network link FSN Midwest. It would add a lot more revenue.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Kard wrote: What do you want to watch?  The Royals have their own network.  The Chiefs are hands-off.  Maybe the T-Bones?  ;)
I'd like them to focus on many Midwest teams, not just STL teams. Mainly it should probably focus on KC, STL, MPLS, and Indy. If it's based out of STL, then those cities seem to make more sense than places like Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee. I'm assuming the Chicago market already has a sports station. :-s
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

phxcat wrote: Blues fans have probably been a bit spoiled, having gone a couple of decades making the playoffs, so I wouldn't blame them if they are not as patient when they are not making it.
Yea, I know, I feel their pain.  But this was almost overnight.  The game on Thursday I think had an announced attendance of around 4500 and that's "announced".  Wow.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

That is a pretty steep fall in attendance.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

By contrast, the Royals still had decent attendance up until the strike.  I remember going to sold out games into the early 90's.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

~4,500 people show up for a hockey game during the weather that STL was having? That's a testament to, not an indictment of, the team's fan base.