Tired of Urban Living??????????

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Tired of Urban Living??????????

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCPowercat wrote: The grocery store thing is idiotic.....the problem is people have to change their shopping habits.  Most of us grew up in some sort of burb setting where you went to walMart and got everything in one stop...and then groceries all in one big store.  When you live downtown it's not that way.....which I'm fine with.  People as they start living down here, will realize that and adapt.
back when in college, when i was still a city dweller (  :x ) , I never had a problem "lugging" groceries up to my apartment.  Mind you, i lived on the fourth floor of a walk up apartment building.  They key, as KCP points out, is you just shop in smaller quantities.  The most i every carried up was two full bags.  Luckily, where i lived, i had a small grocery store two blocks down the street, and a full service supermarket a 3 minute drive away.  If i realized i was missing something, it didn't take me more than 15 minutes to run down to the store (or drive to the supermarket), get it and be back doing what i was doing.  Most of the time, i didn't even have to worry about it, since it was already built into my schedule that i'd get something on my way back home.

Ah..... bliss.....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

You don't have to "lug" anything.  Spend $40 and get a colapsable handcart to keep in the trunk.  Makes it a hell of a lot handier to unload after that trip to the Costco. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

a lot of loft and apartment buildings have shopping carts within the building you can use to get your groceries around.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i've got a basket on the back of my bike that i use everytime i go grocery shopping, and i strap a milk crate on top of it if i need extra capacity...works great.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Bottomline - shopping for groceries and dry goods is only a pain in the ass for downtown dwellers if you happen to be a nincompoop.  Sure you may need to think it out a little more than if you live in an apartment complex behind a super target but it isn't a real inconvenience unless you let it be. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Bottomline - shopping for groceries and dry goods is only a pain in the ass for downtown dwellers if you happen to be a nincompoop.  Sure you may need to think it out a little more than if you live in an apartment complex behind a super target but it isn't a real inconvenience unless you let it be. 
unless you were raised suburban, and grew up that way, you just have to retrain yourself with regards to shopping, meal planning, etc. to me, it is like going to college, you just have to get used to new habits.

and on the bright side, once you get used to it, it is more fun, more rewarding, gets you out of the house even more, and makes others envious. when my mom would come visit for a day, and ask if i would let her come along on my trips, she was floored by it. said it was way cooler then just going to hy vee.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: unless you were raised suburban, and grew up that way, you just have to retrain yourself with regards to shopping, meal planning, etc. to me, it is like going to college, you just have to get used to new habits.
Hell you don't even have to adjust if you don't want to.  Thats the beauty of downtown, you can head 5-10 minutes in any of multiple directions and be in the parking lot of the suburban style grocery store/dry goods store of your choice.  If some suburbanite kid graduates from college and moves downtown he really doesn't have to give up the suburban habits if he doesn't want to. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hell you don't even have to adjust if you don't want to.  Thats the beauty of downtown, you can head 5-10 minutes in any of multiple directions and be in the parking lot of the suburban style grocery store/dry goods store of your choice.  If some suburbanite kid graduates from college and moves downtown he really doesn't have to give up the suburban habits if he doesn't want to. 
yeah, i knew some that moved to quality hill once it became quality hill, that were like that. college kids right out of mu and ku respectively , that were in management training at hyatt, long story short, we were going out one night, and i asked them could we detour through the river market, i needed some coffee, meat, cheese, and a few other things, they followed me from one vendor to the next, and were like, whoah. this is soooo cool, and i asked them what they did, and of course, we go to the hy vee off of I35s.

i am not sure if i converted them, but a lot of people who choose to continue to shop at walmart or hyvee or whatever, do not only do so because of habit, but because of not knowing any better. i think if those of us who live down there ( yes, i am aware i no longer do ) do a better job of pimping the options to newcomers, we will all do better in the long run.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: unless you were raised suburban, and grew up that way, you just have to retrain yourself with regards to shopping, meal planning, etc. to me, it is like going to college, you just have to get used to new habits.

and on the bright side, once you get used to it, it is more fun, more rewarding, gets you out of the house even more, and makes others envious. when my mom would come visit for a day, and ask if i would let her come along on my trips, she was floored by it. said it was way cooler then just going to hy vee.
Whats the diffrence between driving 15 minutes out of your way to go to the groc and 15 min to go to say Chipoltee. Both require some effort, just go to the grocery store insted and get two days food and you will have saved time. My friends in England only had, as many of their friends did, a mini fridge, so they couldn't even store more than two days worth of food.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: Whats the diffrence between driving 15 minutes out of your way to go to the groc and 15 min to go to say Chipoltee. Both require some effort, just go to the grocery store insted and get two days food and you will have saved time. My friends in England only had, as many of their friends did, a mini fridge, so they couldn't even store more than two days worth of food.
there is no difference. different strokes for different folks.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.

I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)

Do you utilize the burbs for the vet, the bank, etc or are those in the urban?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

nota wrote: Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.

I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)

dry cleaners, yeah, i spend usually over a thousand on chef coats each year at the cleaners, ( gotta love income tax deductions ) and lugging 10 of those home at a time with a suit or two, SUCKS. i actually would leave downtown for that, swear by westport cleaners, absolutely swear by them.

and they finally graduated from the dark ages i noticed on my last trip, not only redone thanks to a roof falling in, also got a credit card machine. i could not believe it.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.

Dry cleaner picks up my stuff in the lobby of the apartment building and delivers it back to my apartment two days later....leaves it in the hall closet if I am gone.  It doesn't get easier than that!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)
The dry cleaner picks it up from a drop off in the lobby of my building and delivers it to my door.

How do you suburbanites cope with having to drive there, fight for your parking spot, get out of your car, carry all of that heavy stuff around, etc.  Sounds like a tremendous burden to me.  
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

it's not a waste of time for me, because i get a great workout everytime i go to the store (which is about every three days). thats the beauty of true urban living, you don't even have to think about exercise. there are banks and vets in the city...

pretty much everything involves less stress and no more time, sometimes less time, now that i bike everywhere, as opposed to my previous suburban mode of living in warrensburg, which has been mutilated by the automobile. my monthly gasoline bill is 0$ some months.

the suburban mode of living/ constantly fighting other motorists just seems obscenely stressful to me now. i hated having to drive to everything.
Last edited by warwickland on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The dry cleaner picks it up from a drop off in the lobby of my building and delivers it to my door.

How do you suburbanites cope with having to drive there, fight for your parking spot, get out of your car, carry all of that heavy stuff around, etc.  Sounds like a tremendous burden to me.  
we had that in every building i lived in, pick up and drop off, and i would use that for non chef coat stuff, only reason i drove to westport cleaners is i trusted them with my stuff, and further, it was not easy planning the pick up drop off stuff, when you take like 1 day off per 2 weeks, and are never really sure when the one day is.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

There is a bank on every corner downtown, that is one thing we are not lacking.  Every major bank is downtown.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

warwickland wrote: it's not a waste of time for me, because i get a great workout everytime i go to the store (which is about every three days). thats the beauty of true urban living, you don't even have to think about exercise. there are banks and vets in the city...

pretty much everything involves less stress and no more time, sometimes less time, now that i bike everywhere, as opposed to my previous suburban mode of living in warrensburg, which has been mutilated by the automobile. besides, my monthly gasoline bill is 0$ some months.
one thing interesting is i actually lived a semi-urban life in warrensburg. i walked quite a lot of places between cmsu campus, downtown warrensburg for lunch or whatever, the post office, my apartment. actually i suppose you could say it was more of a somewhat idyllic small town lifestyle.

but i was still dependent on driving to the store for groceries.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: There is a bank on every corner downtown, that is one thing we are not lacking.  Every major bank is downtown.
and a dry cleaners every other block. and when i lived dt, there was a vet, i am thinking there no longer is. anyone else know?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: and a dry cleaners every other block. and when i lived dt, there was a vet, i am thinking there no longer is. anyone else know?
Ought to be with all the pets downtown.  He probably got sick of all the dog shit on the sidewalk and left!