Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCLofts »

We went to the Kemper on First Friday.  It's really a pretty stark, plain, raw space, obviously meant to highlight the art.  There were 2 different exhibition rooms set up in the old Dolphin space.  The first exhibition is some pretty interesting mechanical/video sculpture installations.  But due to the large crowds, it was difficult to get up close and take a look.

The space now flows into the eastern portion of the building that was previously occupied by Derek Porter's lighting design studio.  They had food and drink set up in this space.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's a new modern furniture store occupying what was a day labor place next to the KCAI gallery on main. i think it's called Urbano? looks ready to open any day.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: there's a new modern furniture store occupying what was a day labor place next to the KCAI gallery on main. i think it's called Urbano? looks ready to open any day.
What cross street Dave?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: What cross street Dave?
between 19th and 20th on the west side of main.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Urbana - just north of 1924 Main.  They were open last First Friday.  That was their first night open.  They said that they had pretty much pulled everything together in about 2 weeks.  This store is associated with their Euro furniture warehouse on 13th Terr. in the West Bottoms.  Can't remember the exact name, but they always have an ad in the Pitch.  They're supposed to be having their Grand Opening party this Friday evening.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

not big news by any measure, but hoodie-wearing-lesbian-haunt Tootsie's has added some new lighting to both of their facades.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: not big news by any measure, but hoodie-wearing-lesbian-haunt Tootsie's has added some new lighting to both of their facades.
Is that to better illuminate the stream of litter and sludge that constantly runs out onto the sidewalk from their unused doorway/AC receptacle?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

:lol:  I was dragged there once.  WOW...not such a great place.  There was a tranny (who appeared to be a very round lady...but with an extra part) peeing next to me and I was really confused...but I was really drunk too.  All this followed by shenanigans in the parking lot...does this place help or hurt the X-roads?  Maybe it was just a particularly crazy summer night.  KC needs a really big, clean, upscale gay club/lounge.  I think it might do pretty well if executed and advertised well.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

All loathe the tyranny of the trannies! :D
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

oops...damn spell checker!!  :x
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Midtownkid wrote: KC needs a really big, clean, upscale gay club/lounge.  I think it might do pretty well if executed and advertised well.
NV was like this for about a month.  apparently the $ is in quasi-ghetto dance clubs. 

sadly, missie b's is where it's at for gay clubbing in KC, which is sad.  it is like SoCo in columbia - fun but also wildly tragic.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, it's pretty lame...but at least I can walk there from my parents house when I am in town if I really feel like it.  (I used to sneak out to it every once in a while back in the day)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: sadly, missie b's is where it's at for gay clubbing in KC, which is sad.  it is like SoCo in columbia - fun but also wildly tragic.
a perfect comparison. kudos!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

work is underway at 1901 mcgee. kiva says "dermadoctor", which appears to be some line of skin care stuff sold in other stores (sephora, etc.). an odd location for such a thing...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: work is underway at 1901 mcgee. kiva says "dermadoctor", which appears to be some line of skin care stuff sold in other stores (sephora, etc.). an odd location for such a thing...
Dermadoctor is a downtown KC business success story.  They sell an expanding line of surgical quality cosmetics and moisturizers and distribute worldwide from their shop. They started 10 years ago in the RiverMarket and have been in the west crossroads for about five.  They are doubling their size with this move.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: They started 10 years ago in the RiverMarket and have been in the west crossroads for about five.  They are doubling their size with this move.
google says central and 19th terrace. obviously they don't have storefront or i would have noticed them being less than a block from my building. will this new location have a storefront? or will it add to the darkness that already exists after 5?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Dave, they have something of a retail presence, though actually more of a showroom.  their entry now faces a parking lot on the south side of the building.  They work into the evening, so won't necessarily be a black hole after five.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I'm glad to see something positive happening with the 1901 McGee building...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tech N9ne moving to the 'burbs

Lenexa in the house! Sounds like construction on the PAC, and Shirley Helzberg are the main reasons for the move, but Lenexa? Really?

Tech N9ne is leaving the city for the suburbs, not to abandon his urban roots, but to follow Chuck Chapman and the studio that’s recorded his Billboard-topping albums.

Chapman is pulling up stakes and relocating his operation and six employees to Lenexa after 16 years in the historic Vitagraph Film Exchange Building in the Crossroads Arts District. In that period, he has recorded national artists ranging from rappers such as Tech N9ne to rockers such as Bryan Adams, with a poetic interlude by Jewel.....

But when Helzberg bought the structure for her symphony plan, it was clear a recording studio was not part of the plan. In addition to renovating the Vitagraph, the project includes attaching a two-level parking garage and building a two-story penthouse on top.

“We probably weren’t a good fit,” Chapman said.

Helzberg bought out the lease (financial terms were not disclosed) and Chapman went shopping. After experiencing the challenge of building studios — there are two at the Vitagraph with multilayered soundproof walls up to 18 inches thick — Chapman decided he preferred to buy an existing studio.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Sad to loose a recording studio...but that building will be much better taken care of I'm sure.  I noticed they already took down the power transformers that were right in front of the building.  I actually liked them...but oh well.  I remember seeing Tech N9ne's van outside that building and some guys who may have been them or just their entourage coming out of there once.  Suburban Rap..alright!