50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by PumpkinStalker »

They are currently building a community garden on the spot where accurso's and the dry cleaners used to be. They have all the boxes built but no soil filled in yet. Good earth friendly temporary use. Better than a gravel lot.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The Irish pub place seems to be at a standstill from quick glimpses from
the max.  Anybody have any information they care to share?  There is a sign on the door but I can't read it 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

not sure about the Irish pub, but whilst walking between il centro and accurso's last friday, I chuckled at the shameful grass and "trees" and whatnot planted all across the insulting vacant DST lots along that stretch of Main north of 51st. 

While I respect the quality of the new development on the accurso's/spin block, I just get all worked up seeing the vast expanse of vacant land that the west side of main has become in that section.  The greenery is just so...condescending - hey, look, some nice new trees!  now isn't that better than that sad old building?  Until that stretch of Main is redeveloped, it's mighty barren...at the cost of decent to high quality existing building stock.  Brilliant!

I anxiously await the replacement of these lots with high-quality new development.  A small Whole Foods would do gangbusters here.
are we spinning free?
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I love the Whole Foods idea.  This is such a killer location, they have to put something here other than another strip mall type venue or chain anything. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Whole Foods would be great but Whole Foods owns the Wild Oats right up the street. Perhaps they could relocate - that one is pretty small. Any kind of small grocer would do really well there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Whole Foods would be great but Whole Foods owns the Wild Oats right up the street. Perhaps they could relocate - that one is pretty small. Any kind of small grocer would do really well there.
i thought it was confirmed that the 43rd street location is staying put?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think it's staying put for now, but they are "exploring other options."  there was some sort of focus group thing a few months ago with customers where they took feedback - larger store?  different location?  etc.  i have no idea where things stand now.  i'd love to see a whole foods anchoring a residential project across the street in the vacant lot on the NW corner of 43rd and Main.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Hopefully they don't still have their horse hitched to the wagon of the Holiday Inn redevelopment - I have to think that is mothballed for the foreseeable future.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

beautyfromashes wrote: Haven't seen anyone mention Station 32 Pizza in the same old firehouse where Planet Sub moved.  Anyone try it yet?
Is this place open?  Anyone ever try it? 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

DaveKCMO wrote: i thought it was confirmed that the 43rd street location is staying put?
But even if it is, it's one of the stores that is NOT owned by Whole Foods as a result of the anti-trust thing, one of the stores that stayed a Wild Oats.  Whole Foods can do whatever it wants.  In fact, now that it doesn't own the 43rd and Main store, maybe it makes even more sense to put something in Midtown.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

heatherkay wrote: But even if it is, it's one of the stores that is NOT owned by Whole Foods as a result of the anti-trust thing, one of the stores that stayed a Wild Oats.  Whole Foods can do whatever it wants.  In fact, now that it doesn't own the 43rd and Main store, maybe it makes even more sense to put something in Midtown.
i thought that Whole Foods does own the 43/Main location, but that it's just somehow not affected by the antitrust settlement?

the whole foods logo is all over the inside of the store, on the bags, etc.  from what i can tell, the only thing "wild oats" about it is the sign outside.  http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/kansascity/
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

They may still own it now, but my understanding was that it was part of the settlement agreement that they were going to divest themselves of a number of former Wild Oats stores, this one included

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/pressroom/b ... ettlement/
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Whole Foods does own the store and has to try to sell it. If they don't find a buyer within a year, then they can keep it.  Supposedly if that happens, they will then move it to a bigger Midtown location.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

PumpkinStalker wrote: The Irish pub place seems to be at a standstill from quick glimpses from
the max.  Anybody have any information they care to share?  There is a sign on the door but I can't read it 
It says "Jack Gage American Tavern Now Accepting Applications" 
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Saw today that they were tearing out he old gas station on the corner across from El Centro.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1531583.html
The long-awaited replacement for the Double Dragon restaurant is about to debut.

Area restaurateur Blair Hurst plans to open Jack Gage American Tavern at 5031 Main St. in early November.

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I'm curious what entails an "American Pub"  It says they are playing a little bit off the family boxing history.  It will be called the Jack Gage American Pub or something.

And with some googling....didn't find much.

http://www.sideshowworld.com/Bri-SS-H4.jpg
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

worst restaurant name ever.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: worst restaurant name ever.
Worse than "Pizza Bar"?

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Worse than "Pizza Bar"?
not great, but not awful either. people inevitably shorten long names. how will they refer to this place? jack's? jack gage's? "the pub"?