"Truman Blvd"??

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: "Truman Blvd"??

Post by KC0KEK »

BVC wrote: Atlanta has a 15 story-ish building built over Georgia 400 in Buckhead
I know that one. It's cool to go under that thing.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KC0KEK wrote: I know that one. It's cool to go under that thing.
When in the building once for an appointment, I never gave a thought that I was sitting over a congested freeway...
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

I've seen it.  It reminds me of I-290 to the Chicago Loop, how it travels under that huge postal building.
"Let's get it!"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is the Papago Freeway tunnel in Central Phoenix.  It runs six blocks. I lived there when it was constructed.  I thought it was a wonderful idea then and still do now.

Last edited by FangKC on Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are also decks and buildings contructed over Franklin Delano Roosevelt Drive on the east side of Manhattan.

Here is an aerial view of the Upper East Side of Manhattan showing the buildings and decks:

The new hospital building at New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Medical Center of Cornell University sits over FDR Drive for two blocks.  The Hospital for Special Surgery next door sits over FDR for a block.  Two research towers also sit over FDR at Rockefeller University.  South of the Queensborough Bridge is another deck over FDR Drive that has greenspace on it, and a promenade.

I used to work for New York Presbyterian Hospital and the Weill Medical College of Cornell University.  I have indicated the apartment building where I lived.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

A healthy chunk of the Mass Pike in Boston is decked over enabling the construction of several large buildings...including the Pru, I think.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from CIMO:
Truman Road streetscape construction to begin later this month

The Capital Improvements Management Office in late June will begin streetscape improvements along the downtown Truman Road corridor. Construction will affect both East and West Truman Road, and the Interstate 670 overpass bridges from Baltimore Avenue to McGee Street.

Construction will progress one bridge at a time and will require lane restrictions on affected streets. The Missouri Department of Transportation will coordinate periodic evening closures of I-670. Construction is scheduled to be complete by early October in anticipation of the grand opening of the Sprint Center arena.

This project will adhere to the City's established Downtown Streetscape Master Plan, and is designed to develop the Truman Road corridor into an inviting pedestrian conduit between the Crossroads District and downtown. Improvements will include intersection modifications, additional crosswalk safety features, decorative streetlights, new curbs and expanded Truman Road sidewalks. The project's design firm, HNTB Architects, also has incorporated an extensive landscaping scheme, which will include 90 trees and a line of evergreen shrubs planted along the I-670 south retaining wall.

The City improvement project is just one portion of the existing overhaul of the Truman Road corridor. The City, MoDot, the Downtown Council and Kansas City Power & Light are financing this $3.7 million restoration.

MoDot is completing structural rehabilitation and resurfacing work to the I-670 bridges from Baltimore Avenue to McGee Street. In addition to the City and MoDot municipal infrastructure improvements, a series of innovative bridge guardrails will be installed this fall. Local artist Jim Woodfill, in partnership with el dorado inc., will design the guardrails. This public art project was born out of a public/private partnership established between the City, MoDot, the Downtown Council, the Crossroads Community Association, and the Gary Dickinson Family Charitable Foundation. This project was designed to create a unique addition to downtown's existing landscape, and to further make the bridges an appealing and interactive passageway. Installation is scheduled to begin upon completion of the City's improvement project.

For driver and pedestrian safety, the City will install temporary chain link fencing on the Truman Road bridges until the art installation is complete.

Construction activity will be done as long as the weather is favorable for such outdoor activity. Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians are reminded to use caution in areas adjacent to active construction sites. Conditions in these areas can change rapidly, which may expose people to unexpected dangerous situations. A map highlighting current street conditions is available at http://www.kcmo.org/cimo.nsf/web/dtconst.

If you have any questions, please send us an email at KansasCityWorks@kcmo.org.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

That is a good update from CIMO.  I was interested to see if they were going to do anything to Truman Road.  That thing is an eyesore. 

On the other hand the 90 new trees will really block the line of site for the shooters trying to hit the Sprint Center and Star Press building!  The thugs better start improving their aim!  &&&
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

So does this mean sidewalks along the north side of south Truman Road?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lock+load wrote: So does this mean sidewalks along the north side of south Truman Road?
let's hope. that would be the best reason for adding shrubery along the edge. there's also plenty of ROW.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCTigerFan wrote:On the other hand the 90 new trees will really block the line of site for the shooters trying to hit the Sprint Center and Star Press building!  The thugs better start improving their aim!  &&&
For a minute I thought you were serious! Thank god for the ampersand.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found this image of a capped 670/Truman Blvd. on the 360 Architecture Web site imagery for the Power & Light District.  It's under the OUR WORK -- LIVE category, and projects (click on the dots).

http://www.360architects.com/home.html
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

It would be pretty sweet if they can cap both the north and south ends of the CBD.  Since the River Market and the Crossroads are two of the coolest areas of the city, it would be nice to make them more accessible to walkers.  There is just a huge psychological barrier crossing an interstate, so it would be cool if they can help erase that.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Has anyone heard anything recently about plans for the condos along the north side of Truman between Main and Grand.  I walked by there today and it looks like they have leveled the lots and they have poured curbs for what would appear to be two (gasp) surface lots.  If they are going to just pave over those lots right now, that means we are going to be looking at those two large concrete slabs (the south walls of the P&L district) for quite a while.  Anyone know an artist willing to repaint the UMKC backwards dunk mural?? 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Lst discussion with Cordish was that those walls would be large banner promotions for the district.  Look for something to cover them.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're pouring concrete and asphalt for surface parking... so it'll be awhile.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Maybe this will just be  short temporary parking for the Sprint Center until the city decides where they should build a garage. I think someone should do something to soften the view of the concrete wall for the timebeing. I have a feeling the wall will be used for commercial purposes, but I hope not.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Those surface lots next to the walls are termporary.  Cordish plans on developing condos there down the road when the market is right so it'll be a few years.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

They have started laying a brick sidewalk along the north side of Truman just south of P&L.  It also looks like they are periodically placing blue pavers (8x8) which adds a bit of color.  Nice to see the brick as opposed to the colder concrete walks that they are putting in the rest of downtown.  They have also started pouring the colored concrete (dark gray) in half moon type patterns in front of the sprint center.  I still wish we were getting some fountains down here.  For the city of fountains to have a new arena and entertainment district without any fountains is pretty sad.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sad is most fountains here in the winter.  Very ugly.