OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Zona Rosa A city unto itself to open WED. Looks great!!!!

Post by dangerboy »

It's at the end of the development, in the building that houses Marshalls.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:I saw that Santa at Zona Rosa would be located at the Food Garden and then I saw some pics of Zona Rosa that showed the Food Garden entrance.

Does Zona Rosa really have an indoor food court? :shock:
Victoria Gardens in San Bernardino County, CA also has an indoor food court. It's Zona Rosa's big brother (or possibly a twin once Zona's complete).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Steiner says phase II of Zona Rosa will begin construction in the Spring.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

tk...where did you get that? What was planned for Phase II? I remember hotels
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:tk...where did you get that? What was planned for Phase II? I remember hotels
http://www.steiner.com/index.cfm

I can't find the map that showed what it would look like. It is a major department store with a cluster of shops and restaurants around it located directly north of the Majestic and Rib Crib.

Here is the site plan...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think also some townhouses.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Zona Rosa II....

Post by zlohban »

The Liberty newspaper wrote in a rumor article that Best Buy and one of the Metro North department stores would be moving into Zona Rosa II. I was hoping for a more interesting Department Store in ZR.

Clay County will be giving up even more tax revenue dollars.

If the Northland keeps growing, the Zona Rosa gains might actually help the Liberty area by making it more feasible for companies to locate duplicate stores northeast and northwest. But what will happen to Metro North?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa II....

Post by trailerkid »

zlohban wrote:The Liberty newspaper wrote in a rumor article that Best Buy and one of the Metro North department stores would be moving into Zona Rosa II. I was hoping for a more interesting Department Store in ZR.

Clay County will be giving up even more tax revenue dollars.

If the Northland keeps growing, the Zona Rosa gains might actually help the Liberty area by making it more feasible for companies to locate duplicate stores northeast and northwest. But what will happen to Metro North?
As dangerboy said before...the N'land will be large enough to support 2 large shopping centers in Clay and Platte Counties. If Metro North dies, expect Antioch to rebound or another large center to sprout up in Clay County. I know that Best Buy is building a store in Liberty, but who knows what will happen to the Metro North store because that is still viable location. Zona and Metro North could both be very successful with good mangagement.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Zona Rosa II....

Post by ShowME »

Metro North's demise is no one's fault except management who I believe are out of Dallas. The Northland in the next 10 years will basically have 2 retail centers. The area of I-29 & Barry Rd.(Zona Rosa area) and also I-35 & 152(Shoal Creek area). There will also be other mini retail centers such as the Renaissance development off 152 & Indiana. Platte Counties demographics are nice as far as household income goes but I believe Clay County is really going to skyrocket as far as retail goes the next 10 years. Average income has increased and the population will continue to increase much more than Platte County since housing is more affordable.
Calling a spade a spade.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa II....

Post by trailerkid »

There are talks of building a Zona clone out east in Liberty where the retail is heating up.

I think Von Maur would be the best realistic tenant for a department store at Zona. A lower grade Nordstrom that still carries some of the brands like Lacoste, Tommy Bahama, etc. Although, my feeling is that Dillard's will go in there. There also isn't a spot reserved for a big box chain like Best Buy as the site plan looked to be a large department store with a cluster of smaller retailers around it. Perhaps they have a spot for Best Buy on the periphery.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

trailerkid wrote:Zona Rosa will ressurect the large illuminated crowns that once graced downtown KC. They bought two of them that will go up this Wednesday with more to follow each Holiday season. They're trying to play on KC nostalgia I guess.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 227076.htm
Here's a few crappy pics I took the weekend after Thanksgiving (no tripod or anything).

SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Zona Rosa II....

Post by SWFan »

My guess too would be Dillards since they've done little to nothing in revigorating their Metro North store. Its very dark and dreary and old looking at their store in MN. On the other hand, The Jones Store recently remodeled their MN store and it looks nice, new, bright and clean. Though, Jones did put in a store at Town Center down south, so they now have a track record in KC for locations like ZR. But since Jones has already taken steps to keep their MN location viable and Dillards hasn't, maybe its because Dillards is looking to move.

I agree, something like Von Maur would be more unique since they currently have no stores in KC. I think the closest location they have is in Wichita.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Zona Rosa II....

Post by zlohban »

trailerkid wrote
There also isn't a spot reserved for a big box chain like Best Buy as the site plan looked to be a large department store with a cluster of smaller retailers around it. Perhaps they have a spot for Best Buy on the periphery.
I read an article about the future of new Best Buy stores and they are reducing both their square footage and number of product lines. They might also eliminate their loss leader only 2 items in stock trick.

Did I see somewhere that Best Buy was building in the Shoal Creek area? Does anybody know what else is coming to this area and why construction has halted?

I too would like to see a Von Maur, I grew up around their stores and the service is great with much respect but little attitude.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I think that suspended crown is an accident looking for a place to happen.
We were up there on a windy day last weekend and it was swinging in the breeze something fierce.

But I love the tree. That whole area is really pretty with all the lights.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Zona Rosa II....

Post by GRID »

zlohban wrote: If the Northland keeps growing, the Zona Rosa gains might actually help the Liberty area by making it more feasible for companies to locate duplicate stores northeast and northwest. But what will happen to Metro North?
This is exactly what is happening. The northland is splitting up its retail into two major areas. Ultimatley, the central area will rebound, but it will have to wait for the population to catch up. Traffic volumes, through traffic, hotels etc are also an issue with the 169 corridor. 169 is not nearly as attractive to retailers as intertates 29 and 35.

The northland has the potential to double in population in the next couple of decades but I personally don't see why decent management could turn Metro North Mall around. There should be room for one major regional indoor mall in the northland.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Zona Rosa II....

Post by KCPowercat »

Flat Wok has already closed in Zona Rosa. That has to be the quickest opening/closing in a brand new shopping district I've ever seen.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Zona Rosa II....

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:Flat Wok has already closed in Zona Rosa. That has to be the quickest opening/closing in a brand new shopping district I've ever seen.
Yeah...it's off their web site. I don't think Mongolian BBQ places are in that hot of demand-- especially with Ghenis Khan across the street.

I thought a PF Chang's might be in the works out there. Hereford House and Swagat Indian Cuisine have opened.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Zona Rosa II....

Post by zlohban »

We went shopping at Zona Rosa recently...here are a few observations.

1) I like the new sign, it is understated but will look better when the area is landscaped, only those going to ZR would know what the ZR name implied anyway.

2) Yes, ZR has a certain Disneyland, wow it just popped up, look but the only difference between ZR and the Plaza is 80 years. I am sure the Plaza looked strange built on a flood plain with few houses or trees in 1923. The ZR shops will continue to improve over time.

3) The Plaza builders did a much better job tucking parking garages inside of the shops. The one street in ZR between the shops and the large Rush Creek parking garage is a waste of space. Both the bottom of garage and the other side of the street should be lined with shops or services. They created a potential hot spot for crime almost like walking in an alley to get to your car.

4) This type of shopping development creates excitement and people drive through to see what is new.

5) They need an open market type area with smaller independently owned shops.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Zona Rosa II....

Post by chrizow »

i think it's a positive step....but it wont ever become like the plaza because i presume that the area around it is zoned such that it can't seamlessly blend in with surrounding hoods. it is a self-contained unit just like town center plaza - it just has a more urban style itself.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Zona Rosa II....

Post by zlohban »

Chrizow, I agree.

I really don't like comparing ZR to the Plaza but we all do anyway. The Plaza has changed many times to cater to changing lifestyles. I hope the ZR type concept can do the same....it is the wide roads - interstate highway that will keep ZR and other like developments from blending with the surrounding neighborhoods.

It won't happen but it would look better if Barry Road outside of ZR had street friendly taller brick buildings. They are building a new suburban bank next to the intersection and of course the designer didn't look around and pick-up on the ZR design elements.....but the folks who give out the building permits are to blame also.