Official arena opposition: Coalition Against Arena Taxes

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've put this link on the front page:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/voteyeson1.html

Any mispellings? I know it's not the best format but it needs to get out there now.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Third paragraph down: "CAAT (Colitiaion Against Arena Taxes)"

FAQ section: "The rental car companies have contracts in place with the insurance companies so until they can renegotiate these contracts, they wil have to eat the $4"

Those are the two errors I've found.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wow I butchered Coalition

Look at the front page of the anti page....the graphic on the top MISSPELLS their own freaking name.

nice site.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I just got a fold out, poster sized drawing of downtown with all of the planned developments sketched in. It has a concise and effective description of the issue, states that it is not related to bi-state. The cover says "downtown is back" and the inside says "Wake Up Kansas City, Its A Brand New Day"

It arrived from the arena campaign on the same day as my vote reminder card. If this doesn't do the trick, nothing will. It is marvelous. I want more.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

does the sketch include the pac, ballroom, kc live, etc...? Why don't you scan it for those of us that don't live in the city limits?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

got a scanner staub? They didn't give me one of those

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I don't have a scanner -- and besides, it is big. I'll see if I can scan it tomorrow at work or something.

It includes PAC. It is a cartoonish impression drawing, so it isn't horribly detailed. There is a list of developments on the side.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

I got one too. At first glance, the "map" reminded me of an old Worlds of Fun map.

Sorry, no scanner either.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I got my voter reminder card two days ago and I didn't get a fun brochure. snff snffff :( :( :(

:)
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

Maybe they're mailing them south of downtown first. :wink: They might figure y'all would just be a case of preaching to the choir.

I got my voter reminder card a couple of days ago too but just got the WOF map today.

Btw, you can vote absentee right now in KC. They have some polling places open through the week and on Saturdays. Check http://www.kceb.org or call the Election Board. I call it "early" voting, but they call it "absentee," so don't slip if you go vote now.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kcteen wrote:pro-arena campaign has slightly more money.
Then where are all the Pro-Arena ads on television? Everytime I turn on a local channel, I see Anti-Arena commercials!

Channel 5's sports anchor blasted the arena naysayers last night.

There's suppose to be an arena debate on Fox 4 tonight.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

it wasnt a debate. Fox 4 news is crap.

What do people think of the pro-arena ads based in StL bashing enterprise? I saw one tonight before the fox 4 segment.

Personally, I hate to see downtown KC being bashed and downtown StL being promoted as the way-we-should-be, but hey, if it gets the attention and makes voters think (crap our downtown is SO BAD and nothing is being done) maybe more will vote for it. I think the Stl vs KC thing will help, but not if they overdo it, you know?

But, like i said, i hate to see their bland photos of KC downtown when we all know that it is ALL not like that! I hope after the campaign the EDC or someone runs an ad like "Downtown is coming" and shows ALL the slew of projects underway.

And, it pisses me off, when these so-called economic "analysts" say that a downtown arena won't cure downtown. No fucking shit, sherlock. But its one part of the puzzle, and the other pieces ARE falling into place. Damn them!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kcteen wrote:it wasnt a debate. Fox 4 news is crap.

What do people think of the pro-arena ads based in StL bashing enterprise? I saw one tonight before the fox 4 segment.

Personally, I hate to see downtown KC being bashed and downtown StL being promoted as the way-we-should-be, but hey, if it gets the attention and makes voters think (crap our downtown is SO BAD and nothing is being done) maybe more will vote for it. I think the Stl vs KC thing will help, but not if they overdo it, you know?

But, like i said, i hate to see their bland photos of KC downtown when we all know that it is ALL not like that! I hope after the campaign the EDC or someone runs an ad like "Downtown is coming" and shows ALL the slew of projects underway.

And, it pisses me off, when these so-called economic "analysts" say that a downtown arena won't cure downtown. No fucking shit, sherlock. But its one part of the puzzle, and the other pieces ARE falling into place. Damn them!
I agree, kcteen. They're all a bunch of idiots!

Anyhow, I've written the KC Star twice and have opinions that will be published on "Letters To The Editor" and "Voices" in coming days. I think everyone needs to write a small letter to the KC Star in favor of the arena. letters@kcstar.com I've yet to read a positive one from a downtown resident.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JerseyGuy »

it wasnt a debate. Fox 4 news is crap.
Their 10 pm news hour wasn't all that great as well. I'm so tired of poor reporting from many so called reporters that we have nowadays.

I wrote Fox 4 the following email:
To whom it may concern:

You have aired a terrible news segment on the KC arena debate between the KC government and Enterprise Rent a Car. Why don't you do a better service to your viewers and report on the successes and failures of other cities building arenas in their downtowns to stimulate their local economy?

This is the reason why we are having this debate in the first place. Will the arena (along with the H&R Block HQ's, Cordish KC Live Entertainment District, the expanded Bartle Hall Convention Center, the new residents moving into new apartments, lofts and condos, ect, ect, ect) help spur economic development within the city core?

Does the increase in taxes on car rentals and hotel fees have a negative impact on the local economy or will an overall positive effect happen for KC, it's residents and the metro area?
They need to explain the pros and cons of the entire development in the South Loop to allow their viewers to make an informed decision on whether to vote for a tax increase or not. In other words, there is a need for more reporters like Kevin Collison.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I jus' seen my first Pro-Arena ad on television. It was the one comparin' downtown St. Louis with downtown Kansas City and asked why Enterprise Rent-A-Car was spendin' so much money oposing our arena. Is there any other Pro-Arena ads that are airing? I want to see an ad talkin' about all the lies and misinformation that these Anti-Arena people are telling!

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

there is one running that just talks about "a new day for KC" that has some sweet flyovers.

They have to be brewing one up addressing the lies.

Channel 9 caught the CAAT in a lie....says in their commercial w/o a pro team the arena will fail and then today brought out a hired gun to say WITH a pro team the arena will fail.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Excellent point!

They seem to be grasping at anything now, I think they are seeing that their cause is floundering and their methods backfiring.
Last edited by scooterj on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JerseyGuy »

An excellent letter to the KC Star:

[quote]Kansas City

Downtown arena

As the person who was charged by the City Council (between 2000 and 2002) with the responsibility of luring an NBA team to Louisville and creating the package to construct a state-of-the-art arena in downtown Louisville, I have much experience with Robert Baade.

I note that he spoke recently in your city (7/21, Metro, “Analyst faults arena plan: Taxpayers' burden too heavy, he saysâ€
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Stories like that in today's Star do nothing but help out th pro side. All kinds of arena talk about a major NHL tenant and how the NBA is closely watching this project.

But the anti people have now decided that with or without a pro team the arena will fail...hmmmmmm.

kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

downtownarena.com has now officially adressed the arena opposition and exposed some of their contradictions.

there is a "STOP ST LOUIS" stop-sign graphic on the lefthand side of downtownarena.com now

its a pretty good page, but KCP has a much more complete list of their lies and unethical doings