Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

The Star: Pull Union Station out of mediocrity

Post by KCPowercat »

regional history museum....have I said that enough? :D

Some more ideas.

- The harvey house overtaking the food court is a great idea
- Get rid of Union Cafe, it sucks
- Obviously renovations to Science City but as part of that, bring some parts outside of the glass box...something to draw people in.
- Dave & Busters where Fitz's used to be

Depending on how much unused space there is, I've got some more. Does anybody know how much unused space is in and underneath the station?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

regional history museum....have I said that enough?
Exactly. The best parto f US, in my opinion, is the little history museum upstairs. Expand that thing and you have a very nice museum!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

phx....so true...I go back to that thing all the time and nothing has changed....of course I wouldn't expect everybody to be a freak like me.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:phx....so true...I go back to that thing all the time and nothing has changed....of course I wouldn't expect everybody to be a freak like me.
I do the same thing. I love the photos and maps. I would pay to go once a month is it had 4 times the content.

Am I the only one that doesn't have an extreme hatred for Union Cafe? I guess it isn't anything terribly special and I probably give it extra points just for being relatively cheap dining in the Grand Hall, but I don't have a real problem with it. I am perplexed, though, because I went the other night expecting the menu of fairly cheap soups, sandwiches, salads and pizzas and it was this faux-upscale fare instead. Do they change the menu at a certain time or what? I certainly don't go there to spend a bunch.

I think it would be cool if Union Cafe became more of a happy hour destination. Focus on GOOD bar food and give us a real, classy bar in Union Station. I think it'd be cool if it was a place where you could more readily just sit down for drinks and appetizers all night, or mingle with other patrons and whatnot. Drinking in Union Station rules!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have just never liked their menu selection and anything I get is never anything above average.

I agree drinking on the 2nd level would be awesome.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:I have just never liked their menu selection and anything I get is never anything above average.

I agree drinking on the 2nd level would be awesome.
They already have a decent happy hour (until 7, with $2 lots of stuff), but they don't leverage it enough. After that, I think the bar pretty much serves the restaurant goers. I'm thinking a "bar first, restaurant second" approach would be awesome. Perhaps we should all start showing up to the Union Cafe bar at night to send a message.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Fitz's should be converted to a kick ass dance club. The original plan was for the downstairs theatre district to have an adult theme at night. It still is a good idea, with the live theatre, the big screen theatre, and the empty restaurant.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think the best thing for Union Station would be the most obvious if you ask me.... USE IT FOR WHAT IT WAS INTENDED!!! A TRANSPORTATION HUB!!! Art exhibits, small museums are all cool (and should definitely be part of making US go forward), but give it a real economic backbone and all the other stuff will fall into place. It could be a train, bike, bus etc center. I think if we fix the diversity of transportation issue first and link Union Station as a central part of that plan you would have two birds with one stone. I know that's a hell of a lot harder (time consuming, larger forces that have to be moved) but that could make a good speaking point for people to sell mass transit.
I hear they might build another walkway from US to the xroads (great idea!) that would further make US a great crosspoint for many destinations.
I don't think a mall would work cause of the obvious presence of Crown Center less than a block or two away (unless people want CC to go out of business also, either way you can't have two malls that close to each other).
U.S has to be distinct from everything around it.
Science City sucks big time. We could really set that space up for an innovative interactive museum (i.e an aquarium, as some may have mentioned. Or something along the lines of the City Museum in St. Louis (even though that would take someone with imagination and dedication to make happen not by committee ((Bob Cassily is the dood behind the City Museum, maybe we should get him down here to suggest some ideas)),)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote:regional history museum....have I said that enough? :D

Some more ideas.

- The harvey house overtaking the food court is a great idea
- Get rid of Union Cafe, it sucks
- Obviously renovations to Science City but as part of that, bring some parts outside of the glass box...something to draw people in.
- Dave & Busters where Fitz's used to be

Depending on how much unused space there is, I've got some more. Does anybody know how much unused space is in and underneath the station?
Good ideas. The D&B idea is so patentlyobvious that i'm amazed it hasn't been done yet.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

D&B is a great idea, fantastic idea.

I really hope they don't think the train set and dinasour exhibit is going to help thier bottom line. I mean, they will be great additions to the station, but I doubt the train thing even breaks even.

They really need to be thinking bigger with ideas like a history museum, revampted Science City and yea a D&B or whatever else.

It's too bad they have not come up with a good plan for BS II funds so more of that "arts" money could go to something real.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

As I hear these comments, I can't stop thinkin' that we're on to something. Now somebody step up and pay for this shit!

- D&B probably won't open an urban location, but they do own the Jillian's chain which is urban. Any type of bar/arcade/games place would definitely work there!

- Beef up Science City with better Smithsonian-type exhibits (dinosaurs, space, etc.). Open up the Planetarium again. Definitely keep the Extreme Screen theaters, especially since the KC Zoo is dumping the IMAX.

- Add not only the Wisconsin rail cars, but working model train sets to the Train Museum. Kids watch those for hours!

- Building a Kansas City Museum of Regional and Natural History in Union Station is a no-brainer! #-o
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

botanical garden

Post by omenapt »

DOes anyone remember a plan about 10-12yrs ago to convert to convert the inside to a huge botanical garden presented by Emilio Ambascz , areknowned interior landscape desinger..It was a brillian plan , but KC just coulnd GET IT! It would have been a world class attraction.

Or how about an inside water park and public natatorium ..
Come on , lets think outside the bun on this one!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

lol, you actually used outside the bun? NOOOO!!! DAMN YOU TACO BELL!!! i say that cause i used it the other day too (non-ironically).

But yeah, i think there are A LOT of things that could be done at U.S like the botanical. THe thing is to really think about doing something unique there (something distinctively KC). When i say UNIQUE i mean something that people in Paris would be like "DAMN! That's nice! What is that?".

World class attraction! I would say a 3-D AQUARIUM!!

So check this out. Most of the space gives the illusion of a huge tank, and then you walk through it, giving the effect of Union Station being flooded and you are "walking through the water" (so it's not just water on three sides, but even under you). The tank would be done so you could see through to the original walls, floors and ceilings of the interior (thus enhancing the U.S as tank idea). The tunnels could go through the entire space and try to give the illusion of one continuous tank. There would be small private nooks and crannies where you could sit at a bench and just watch the fishies flow all around you. The aquarium could be open on evenings for adults (i have no idea if the fishies need sleep or darkness, so this might be a problem) but yeah. Just think about taking a date after you just ate some dinner over to walk through the aquarium.

Maybe the walkway to the cross roads would go right by the windows and you could see the water and the fishies from the outside!

i know the engineering might be hard....but just think about it! :D
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

GRID wrote: It's too bad they have not come up with a good plan for BS II funds so more of that "arts" money could go to something real.
No, no, too bad the stadium money couldn't go for something real. What a waste.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Union Station's $40 million endowment is departing
Rob Roberts
Staff Writer

Union Station's $40 million endowment may be nearing the end of the line.

Bud Jeffress, CFO of Union Station Kansas City Inc., said five years of operating deficits have drained the unrestricted portion of an endowment fund supporting the station.

About $16 million remains in the fund, Jeffress said, but its use is restricted to capital improvements.

Jeffress said Union Station officials may ask the Missouri Development Finance Board, which oversees the endowment, to allow "invasion" of the restricted cash.

Overland Park Mayor Ed Eilert said he is amazed that the money was gone so soon after the 1999 reopening of Union Station.

In 1996, voters in four metropolitan counties approved an eighth-cent bistate sales tax to restore the 90-year-old landmark and create a science museum there. As a member of the Bistate Commission, Eilert helped oversee the spending of $119 million in sales tax revenue to achieve those ends.

"The voters were told that earnings from that endowment, not the principal, would be used to offset the operating expenses at Union Station," Eilert said. "I'm not sure the public understands the full extent of the public and private dollars that have gone down the drain for that project."

Sean O'Byrne, who became interim director of Union Station after former CEO Turner White stepped down June 1, said the station's operating revenue through July was $5.3 million -- $4.2 million less than expenses.

The $2.5 million in budget cuts O'Byrne announced in July -- including 30 layoffs and closing Science City on Mondays and Tuesdays -- mean the deficit for the year should be held to $5 million, he said.

"We have the money to cover that," O'Byrne said. "Where it gets dicey is next year."

Among significant contributors to the endowment were Sprint Corp., Kansas City Power & Light Co., the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and the Hall Family Foundation. The Hall family, which donated the bulk of the restricted money, supports its use for operations, Jeffress said.

But Union Station can't count on gaining access to the restricted endowment money. Neither can station officials count on financing from Bistate 2, a new one-quarter-cent sales tax on the November ballot in five metro counties.

O'Byrne said he was disappointed that Union Station was not included as a guaranteed beneficiary as was the proposed Metropolitan Kansas City Performing Arts Center, which would receive $50 million. But he said he understands the reasoning of Bistate 2's framers.

"There's a public misconception that Union Station squandered the money from Bistate 1," O'Byrne said. "So I think they wanted to be cautious about how they involved Union Station in Bistate 2."

He said no public money has been spent on Union Station losses. The only significant flaw with the first bistate tax, he said, was that promoters thought the current attractions could pay for themselves and generate enough revenue to run a 90-year-old, 850,000-square-foot train station.

"The heat, lights, power, maintenance and security for this box cost $5 million annually," he said. "So is Science City pulling Union Station down, or is Union Station pulling Science City down?"

O'Byrne said the latter has been the case. But the cuts announced in July will trim Union Station's annual budget to about $15 million.

O'Byrne said it may take two more years to balance Union Station's budget. He said he's hopeful that donors who jumped the train may return now that the nonprofit corporation appears to be on course toward black ink.

In addition, a recently announced agreement to lease 160,000 square feet to the Internal Revenue Service and the soon-to-be- displaced Kansas City Main Post Office will add $3 million in annual revenue by 2007. By then, O'Byrne said, he expects an additional $1 million to $2 million a year from leasing other buildings and vacant ground on the property.

Officials also expect revenue from a new dinosaur exhibit, an exhibit of 1940s vintage rail cars and improvements to the City Dome planetarium. Those additions will be financed with the final $1.3 million in Bistate 1 money.

"My No. 1 attraction now is this 95-foot ceiling," O'Byrne said. "People walk in, take a snapshot and don't even buy a cup of coffee."

Reach Rob Roberts at 816-421-5900 or rroberts@bizjournals.com.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

"The heat, lights, power, maintenance and security for this box cost $5 million annually," he said. "So is Science City pulling Union Station down, or is Union Station pulling Science City down?"

Why is it I get the feeling that, in this day and age, if they just bulldozed Union Station, replaced it with a rectangular sheetmetal box that has about the same aesthetic appeal as a fertilizer shed, and put Science City in there, then suddenly it would be a resounding financial success? :puke:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Michael® wrote:Science, trains, aquarium, botanical garden, yada, yada, yada....

Whatever goes here, it won't matter. Govt cannot do things right in KC. Too much special interest, nepotism, and shady politics. Turn the whole thing over to a private organization.
Union Station has always been a private organization. The tax just restored the station. Operation has been in private hands.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thoughts on the latest report?

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl

To summarize the task force is recommending a "Museum and Urban Entertainment and Services" strategy.

This includes:
-Rebranding U.S. museums under the flag of "Innovation at the Crossroads of America" which seems to include some sort of KC history portions.
-An Urban Entertainment and Services center which sounds like a retail and services hub for the urban core...no specifics here.

Sounds like a good overall approach, now it will be interesting what details come out of this. I'm not really sure what retail and services could be housed in the station to compliment the area....small markets, salons, dry cleaning? that type of thing????

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

there are amny entities involved with Union Station. Overall corporate and individual donations provide much support with the endowment. Funds also come from attendance and rentals.
Bistate I sales tax provided funds for the restoration of the building and leftover funds were set aside for the endowment and other uses.
Since attendance has been low that is why the board has been drawing down the endowment.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.