Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by Demosthenes »

Nimbys will be nimbys. That really is crazy though. The on street parking in the neighborhood isn't that bad. I have never had trouble finding a place to park in Union Hill. Not in the remotest sense.

And the power lines... I'm sure the resident just didn't want to deal with the hassle, but my god a little long-term thinking would do this fellow a lot of good.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I can't believe the power company doesn't have easement access already to the alley

I lived in a city (Springfield) where nearly every neighborhood was above ground power lines. they also had two ice storms in back to back years. if the power company had offered to start burying lines the neighborhoods would have lined up in support
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Some parcels on Union Hill don't have alley access.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Some parcels on Union Hill don't have alley access.
that makes sense.

the power company should still have an easement though. could be they never gained the right rights for the neighborhood to bury lines
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

" Some other guy had a total meltdown when the developer and KCPL approached him about burying the utilities in the alleyway FOR FREE and will absolutely not budge, so everyone on the north side of 30th will continue to have a great view of power-lines out their back windows thanks to him."

I got a feeling there is more to this story. Utility easement usually includes so many feet on each side of the lines. Were the telephone and cable companies also going to bury their lines?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Not technically Union Hill, but does anyone know why the Cowtown Mallroom at 31/Gillham is shutting down? And whether there is anything queued up to take its place in the bldg?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

To make a long story short and factual- the building has been sold and we are no longer able to continue with the Mallroom. The Mallroom family will be moving, together, to a new location very soon. Come by Saturday if you want the long and more colorful version
https://www.facebook.com/CowtownMallroo ... comments=7
GiveThisManABeer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by GiveThisManABeer »

That sucks. Wish the current building could be used as more of an anchor for this area. Maybe whatever comes next will function better for the community.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish someone would operate it well as a music venue. Sort of a replacement for the Grand Emporium.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

FangKC wrote:I wish someone would operate it well as a music venue. Sort of a replacement for the Grand Emporium.
I remember going to the El Torreon in that neighborhood back in the day. Was a fun music venue from what I remember.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Excavation along Gillham on Union Hill at Founders Phase 2.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Construction of apartments north of the intersection of E. 30th Street at De Groff Way on Union Hill.

Last edited by FangKC on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Construction of new apartment building at 30th and McGee.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Construction of new house on McGee.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Construction of new house on De Groff Way.

Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

That house on DeGoff is looking good. As for the apartment building, not sure I like the big blank walls on the sides of the building. This of course wouldn't be a big deal if this building was built in a truly "urban" way. And I realize this is plenty urban in most ways, but what I mean by urban is not having a large amount of space between the side of the building and the house next door. If this apartment building was tucked into the neighborhood in a truly urban manner, like the apartments and houses in Columbus Park (one of the few truly urban KC neighborhoods), then this blank side wall would not be noticeable. But since this building needs a really wide driveway and the house next door needs a 10 foot buffer from said driveway, the wall stands out terribly. I mean if you are going to design in this manner, why not add windows on the side? Offer some awesome corner apartments.

Btw those new houses they are building in Beacon Hill, I think would fit in nicely as infill in this neighborhood. I could see a stretch of them on McGee. But for gods sake build them close together! Multistory urban homes look so much better when they are built close together. It is how they are meant to look. Why does every house in KC have to have a huge, pointless side yard?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the 10 foot buffer actually sounds like something in zoning. I know there's a 10 foot rule for commercial next to residential. could be the same idea

it's another good case for rethinking KC's zoning rules
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote:As for the apartment building, not sure I like the big blank walls on the sides of the building.
+1. Right now the sides show no design thought whatsoever, though they may have just slapped up the sheathing and are going to come back and cut in the windows later. Hard to tell without seeing the framing underneath.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

flyingember wrote:the 10 foot buffer actually sounds like something in zoning. I know there's a 10 foot rule for commercial next to residential. could be the same idea

it's another good case for rethinking KC's zoning rules
Could be the case. No doubt there are many issues with our current zoning rules. I mean this isn't even a commercial/ residential buffer. It's just two residential buildings next to each other. These ideas of buffers drive me crazy, because it is inherently anti-urban.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

For all you nerds (myself included) that enjoy watching the progress:

Facebook: Founders Phase II Construction Pictures 12.12.13
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 944&type=1