Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Politics

Post by KCMax »

BREAKING: Cable news is irrelevant.

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2013/03/1 ... -politics/
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

For those who think the current political climate in Washington DC is bad.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100534126
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Charts! Charts! Charts!!!!!!

How We Pay Taxes, in 14 Charts

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Voters trust Clinton over GOP on Benghazi
While voters overall may think Congress' focus should be elsewhere there's no doubt about how mad Republicans are about Benghazi. 41% say they consider this to be the biggest political scandal in American history

One interesting thing about the voters who think Benghazi is the biggest political scandal in American history is that 39% of them don't actually know where it is. 10% think it's in Egypt, 9% in Iran, 6% in Cuba, 5% in Syria, 4% in Iraq, and 1% each in North Korea and Liberia with 4% not willing to venture a guess.
:lol:
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Wonder what the numbers were right after the Watergate break-in.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Wonder what the numbers were right after the Watergate break-in.
I would bet almost no one knew where Bengazi was right after Watergate.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Wonder what the numbers were right after the Watergate break-in.
I still don't get the comparison of the two at this point. Watergate involved actual criminal activity. If we want to spend US resources investigating and complaining about the things that we "don't know didn't happen," we will be going through every wacko conspiracy ever imagined by opposition majorities to the President. If something more damaging to the Pres in a different arena came up, Benghazi would be dropped like a hot potato.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I still don't get the comparison of the two at this point. Watergate involved actual criminal activity. If we want to spend US resources investigating and complaining about the things that we "don't know didn't happen," we will be going through every wacko conspiracy ever imagined by opposition majorities to the President. If something more damaging to the Pres Hillary Clinton in a different arena came up, Benghazi would be dropped like a hot potato.
FTFY
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, pretty clearly a "smear Hillary" political play to see what they can stick to her for 2016. Unfortunately (for Republicans) it will probably backfire and make them even less likable and Hillary even more likable. Sort of like what happened with her husband in the wake of the impeachment. Republicans don't have a great track record of making big scandals out of bullshit.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCMax wrote:

Just to be sure my point was that no one really cared about the Watergate break-in right afterwards but it did bring down a president. Who knows at this time what may or may not become of Bengazi but even the Dems on the Sunday news shows thought there is more to learn about what happened and how it might have been prevented.

Granted, a mountain is being made out of a molehill concerning the Susan Rice talking points but there is the possibility that warning signs were overlooked or ignored leading up to the deadly incident.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCMax wrote:

Just to be sure my point was that no one really cared about the Watergate break-in right afterwards but it did bring down a president. Who knows at this time what may or may not become of Bengazi but even the Dems on the Sunday news shows thought there is more to learn about what happened and how it might have been prevented.

Granted, a mountain is being made out of a molehill concerning the Susan Rice talking points but there is the possibility that warning signs were overlooked or ignored leading up to the deadly incident.
Also, nobody seems very upset about the parking ticket that Lindsey Graham got dismmissed last weekend. How deep does the cover up go! We just have no idea until all of the facts are known!

(I have no idea if he had a parking ticket or got one dismissed, but why is he refusing to tell the truth! This is just like 9/11 before we knew about 9/11 &&&)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Bill Maher made a good point about Republicans attacking Hillary over Benghazi. He said go for it, because Hillary eats scandals for lunch.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

(I have no idea if he had a parking ticket or got one dismissed, but why is he refusing to tell the truth! This is just like 9/11 before we knew about 9/11 &&&)
There are at least two items that need to be studied further.
1) Other similar diplomatic outposts had been attacked so why wasn't security beefed up at the Bengazi outpost?
2) There was no plan in place to assist the personnel if the outpost came under attack.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Senator Roy Blunt (R) of Missouri was the "Stooge of the Night" on the Late Show with David Letterman tonight for his unwillingness to support background checks for gun buyers--even though 85 percent of Missourians support it. Blunt has received $1.5 million in donations from the gun lobby.

This has been an ongoing nightly segment on the Letterman show for the past few weeks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
There are at least two items that need to be studied further.
1) Other similar diplomatic outposts had been attacked so why wasn't security beefed up at the Bengazi outpost?
2) There was no plan in place to assist the personnel if the outpost came under attack.
I agree this should be studied. However, former SecDef Robert Gates, certainly no partisan, dismissed the idea that any kind of elite Marines unit could have made it to Benghazi in time to provide any kind of real protection.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

This was in reality a CIA outpost so I am not sure how the security works for those types of locations. Whether or not a relief force could make it in time in this instance isn't so much an issue. The issue is why a relief plan wasn't in existence in the first place.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Might have something to do with the ~$460 million that Republicans cut from embassy security in 2011 and 2012. Turns out all that money in the federal budget is actually used to pay for things. Who knew?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:This was in reality a CIA outpost so I am not sure how the security works for those types of locations. Whether or not a relief force could make it in time in this instance isn't so much an issue. The issue is why a relief plan wasn't in existence in the first place.
If a relief force couldn't make it on time, there doesn't seem to be any point to having a relief plan.