OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by chaglang »

Agreed. I found this excellent website that breaks down the intracacies of how far people would walk to transit. In my mind, that's a realistic way of setting the TDD boundaries for the extensions:
http://www.humantransit.org/2011/04/bas ... ansit.html

P.S. This site is a transit goldmine. Circling back to the route naming discussion above, there's a great post about Seattle's new frequency-based transit map: http://www.humantransit.org/2012/11/sea ... twork.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:Agreed. I found this excellent website that breaks down the intracacies of how far people would walk to transit. In my mind, that's a realistic way of setting the TDD boundaries for the extensions:

P.S. This site is a transit goldmine. Circling back to the route naming discussion above, there's a great post about Seattle's new frequency-based transit map: http://www.humantransit.org/2012/11/sea ... twork.html
Chag, if you like his site check out his book that just came out a few months ago: http://www.amazon.com/Human-Transit-Cle ... an+transit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

also a big fan. trying to get him here to speak.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:Agreed. I found this excellent website that breaks down the intracacies of how far people would walk to transit. In my mind, that's a realistic way of setting the TDD boundaries for the extensions:

I like the seattle map.

the fading is decent for showing importance
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

do local governments have the ability to sell a variation on savings bonds directly to individuals to fund projects?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:do local governments have the ability to sell a variation on savings bonds directly to individuals to fund projects?
Municipal bonds?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
flyingember wrote:do local governments have the ability to sell a variation on savings bonds directly to individuals to fund projects?
Municipal bonds?
More or less, but I'm talking direct sales to people. But more with the idea of savings bonds. Low risk, low return bonds.

I'm sure there's people out there in the city that think the streetcar will be successful and want to bet on KC but they don't live inside the TDD, could afford to pay more, or don't have the funds to play in the big bond market.

Since we're looking for ways to fund expansion and operations, any amount would help. If all it does it help keep the starter line free for another year, that's something.

The bonds could be for the functioning and expansion of the Kansas City streetcar as needed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is not exactly what you are talking about, but you may be interested in looking at it. It is an innovative way to fund new projects in cities...not yet possible in MO or KS, but New York and some other states are trying it out. Basically gives private investors a way to fund a program or initiative and get repaid by the state (w/ profit) if it reduces state spending elsewhere (prisons, policing, etc).

http://mckinseyonsociety.com/social-impact-bonds/
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:And there's Neighbor.ly, which the city has actually tried. But that's just for donations, not investments (or even no-interest loans), which hasn't proved popular so far.
the crowd sourced systems work best for products where if you help fund you get a discount, a special deal or the product before anyone else.

neighbor.ly just doesn't have a good incentive system for much of what was tried. and I don't know how that can be fixed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've been contacted by a group that's organizing in support for this extension, and perhaps the newly-added 31st/Linwood route. PM if you're interested in getting involved.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

BNIM will lead the phase 2 study.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

save the date - thursday, aug. 8!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

expect business support to lean towards curbside (like downtown), instead of center-lane running.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Let's get this thread fired up.

Should the streetcar go beyond UMKC to Brookside/Waldo? As Dave mentioned in another thread, there are not a lot of redevelopment opportunities in the corridor when compared to Independence Ave., Linwood, etc.

What's the purpose of extending service beyond UMKC? Does MAX serve the corridor adequately now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:Let's get this thread fired up.

Should the streetcar go beyond UMKC to Brookside/Waldo? As Dave mentioned in another thread, there are not a lot of redevelopment opportunities in the corridor when compared to Independence Ave., Linwood, etc.

What's the purpose of extending service beyond UMKC? Does MAX serve the corridor adequately now?
MAX has several different customer types. streetcar will consume the midtown circulation crowd that fill up the runs that go all the way to brookside and waldo, perhaps allowing KCATA to offer better service to those neighborhoods (which are now stuck with non-MAX service and headways). i can't imagine we'll be able to afford going south of UMKC in phase 2. once you get to the campus, you could do incremental phases in the CC ROW as future phases. also, we haven't scored south of the plaza in quite some time, so it's an unknown as far as the feds are concerned (2008 plan veered east at cleaver and did NOT score well in that segment).

keep in mind that brookside and waldo use today is very peak focused and TOD opportunities are very limited there without affecting the historic fabric.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would send the line down Troost from UMKC.

It's the #1 transit corridor in the city today. At some point we have to look at corridors that use transit today in order to fund operations. Lines just can't go places we would like them to go because it's easy to do so.

And this one fits being good for redevelopment and serving the money purpose.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Streetcars south of the Plaza should be a very low priority. If ever they do, Troost from UMKC to about 75th is the obvious choice.

Phase 2 should go to Plaza/UMKC. Anything else is not only folly, but in my opinion would jeopardize the relevance and long-term operation of the first segment.

I increasingly feel that a single streetcar backbone in the RCP coupled with expanded and enhanced BRT routes are the smartest, soundest and best strategies for KC transit in the foreseeable future.

In order, do this:

1. Build out the streetcar to the Plaza

2. Terminate the TroostMax at Union Station via Hospital Hill

3. Independence Ave Max (Van Brunt to River Market)

4. N Oak Max (Barry to River Market)

5. Move the MainMax west to Broadway/SW Trafficway between River Market and the Plaza

6 Prospect Max (75th to 18th to Union Station)
Last edited by chingon on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
smh wrote:Let's get this thread fired up.

MAX has several different customer types. streetcar will consume the midtown circulation crowd that fill up the runs that go all the way to brookside and waldo, perhaps allowing KCATA to offer better service to those neighborhoods (which are now stuck with non-MAX service and headways). i can't imagine we'll be able to afford going south of UMKC in phase 2. once you get to the campus, you could do incremental phases in the CC ROW as future phases. also, we haven't scored south of the plaza in quite some time, so it's an unknown as far as the feds are concerned (2008 plan veered east at cleaver and did NOT score well in that segment).

keep in mind that brookside and waldo use today is very peak focused and TOD opportunities are very limited there without affecting the historic fabric.
I think you're right. I still envision MAX becoming a much more limited stop service once a streetcar line is in place to the Plaza.