Neighborhood Security ?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Neighborhood Security ?

Post by splash »

I have to say, the whole spotlighting every area of your home irritates the heck out of me.  Granted, this could be because several of our neighbors don't know how to direct their spotlights and shine them directly on our house, regardless of how many times we have asked them to adjust their lights.  Our neighbors across the street used to insist on having their garage floodlights on all night long, which would have been something we could have lived with, except that they didn't have them pointing down and instead had them pointed at our living room windows.  We were so glad when they moved, because the next set of neighbors were more than willing to angle things away from our house. 

Our next door neighbors haven't been as accomodating.  The flood lights on their back porch are angled so they hit our bedroom window straight on.  They have refused to move them to a more downward position and we don't believe this is really an issue for the police, since they aren't on 24/7.  And yes, they are aware that their lighting scheme is pointed toward our bedroom.  They have stated that is is their safest option.  I personally believe it's because of a different issue, but that's just me. 

We don't have exterior lights on at night.  The front of our house is well lit due to the street lights and our back porch light has a motion sensor, so anything bigger than a cat sets foot on our deck and the light comes on. 
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

jdubwaldo wrote: It's dark as hell on our street - the street lights all function, but the light is shaded by the trees I think.  And all of them are one side of the street.  Maybe that is the deal?
Our old street in Santa Fe Hills was like this...street lights, but very shaded, so the trees blocked out the street lights most of the year.  Very dark, winding, hilly streets in that subdivision, and our block was pretty empty, to boot.  It was incredibly dark in our immediate neighborhood, and more than a little creepy, with mainly empty houses around us. Even with our garage floodlight, it was still pretty dim.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

jdubwaldo wrote:.

Until something physically happens to them, many people seem to think it is not their problem......
Ain't that the truth. . . .  and then when it does happen to them, they are soooo very indignant.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

FYI, KCPD is offering a personal safety class this evening.  6pm at the Scottish Rite Temple, Linwood and The Paseo.

http://www.volkerkcmo.org/events/personal-safety-class
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Jess wrote:   It was incredibly dark in our immediate neighborhood, and more than a little creepy,
Don't ever not trust that old warning sign of the hair standing up on the back of your neck. Your body or mind is trying to tell you something.

And there are many times the same neighborhood doesnt' give me that vibe.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

splash wrote: I have to say, the whole spotlighting every area of your home irritates the heck out of me.  Granted, this could be because several of our neighbors don't know how to direct their spotlights and shine them directly on our house, regardless of how many times we have asked them to adjust their lights.  Our neighbors across the street used to insist on having their garage floodlights on all night long, which would have been something we could have lived with, except that they didn't have them pointing down and instead had them pointed at our living room windows.  We were so glad when they moved, because the next set of neighbors were more than willing to angle things away from our house. 

Our next door neighbors haven't been as accomodating.  The flood lights on their back porch are angled so they hit our bedroom window straight on.  They have refused to move them to a more downward position and we don't believe this is really an issue for the police, since they aren't on 24/7.  And yes, they are aware that their lighting scheme is pointed toward our bedroom.  They have stated that is is their safest option.  I personally believe it's because of a different issue, but that's just me. 

We don't have exterior lights on at night.  The front of our house is well lit due to the street lights and our back porch light has a motion sensor, so anything bigger than a cat sets foot on our deck and the light comes on. 
Probably a lot easier to just buy some heavy drapes than to get in a pissing match with the next door neighbor and leave a bunch of hard feelings. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

My friend had exactly this issue and bought blackout blinds.  She asked them if they could tone down their crazy people lighting and they refused, so what are you going to do?

There's obviously a line of courtesy, but these days expecially, I'd rather my neighbors are too careful then totally not doing anything at all.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Spotlights can definitely be annoying.  I was out last night trying to re-aim ours so they hit the ground around hour house and not our neighbors.  My neighbor came out in his robe to chat and he said he noticed anytime they walk through their kitchen the sensor picks them up and turns our lights on.  I would have never known if he hadn't told me, so I re-aimed the sensor as well.  Definitely taks some courtesy.  It's unfortunate your neighbors aren't very receptive Splash.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I guess I will nix the side light I was planning that was going to shine right in my next door neighbor's bedroom now.  Dang.  8)
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Very stupid to not have lights.

I'm switching the mode on our motion lights to the "dual brite" which means they are on all the time at night but at half brightness.  When motion is detected they go to full brightness.  They also have a flash feature withc flashes them on and off 2 times before staying on to attract attention to them.  Obviously it uses more electricity and burns bulbs out faster but....well, kinda worth it right now.
My neighbor has these.  They seem to go from half to full all the time for no particular reason.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

jdubwaldo wrote: It's dark as hell on our street - the street lights all function, but the light is shaded by the trees I think.  And all of them are one side of the street.  Maybe that is the deal?
Trees do block the light.  That's why it's important to have porch lights on as well.  The more light the better.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Several years ago, I noticed a guy hanging around a neighbor's house.  I called the cops.  They discovered it was the daughter's boyfriend and they were having a fight, but the cops stressed that they should be called about anything suspicious and they don't mind coming out to check.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

It would be great if streetlight poles were about 1/2 as tall as they are currently.  It's such a waste to have all that light up in the trees.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

lock+load wrote: It would be great if streetlight poles were about 1/2 as tall as they are currently.  It's such a waste to have all that light up in the trees.
Agree.  Ornamental Quaint black iron posts are awesome to look at both day and night.  Too bad they're probably 10X the price.