Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Could KC host the FIFA World Cup?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCFutbol wrote: Final Four, World Series, MLB All-Star Game, and Republican Convention. Not exactly devoid of experience in hosting.
Unless you were hoping for experience that was actually achieved sometime during the lifetimes of most Rag readers. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

splash wrote: I realize our chances are slim to none, but if we did get named as hosts, what would we need to do as a city to get ready for an event like this?
KC has some major impediments, but also a few things that make it slightly unique.  Our mammoth parking area around the stadium would likely be converted into more of a carnival space with temporary vendors, rides, interactive soccer related things, etc.  They would have to dedicate one lane of traffic on I-70 and I-435 to bus/shuttle-only, as a great deal of parking needs to be sacrificed.  P&L would likely be the party center for the event (and wouldn't it be great if there were a new 1000 room hotel there?).  Teams would practice and play prep games at the new Sporting KC stadium, and if they were smart, they would sell tickets for a watch event in Kauffman stadium. 

That could mean up to and over 110k people at Truman sports complex, comfortably.  The Royals would have to plan a two week road trip around that time, or, if they were smart, plan a game or two close to those dates to introduce fans of the World's game to America's pastime.  The Sprint Center could also be used as a place for watch events.  We have all of the newly built tools, and are more able than some bigger cities to dedicate them to one event.  The biggest challenges are finding places for people to stay and making it easy for them to get from one part of the city to another.  We are lacking in both departments at the moment.

As for major events, see 100k+ people in town for the Liberty Memorial dedication.  Long time ago, I know.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Unless you were hoping for experience that was actually achieved sometime during the lifetimes of most Rag readers. 
Most Rag readers are a bit on the young side. These were all in my lifetime so it doesn't seem any of them were that long ago.

If we do host the 2022 World Cup, I'll be 69.  :shock:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Have to think open warfare breaking out on the border a week ahead of the next important meeting will be a bit of a set back to the South Korean bid. 
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

I keep reading Qatar thinks they have it wrapped up for 2022 - a little collusion here, a little bribery there, a little anti-US sentiment. I can't even believe they're seriously going for it. They will lose more money than any WC host to date with their plans, but they are certainly being ambitious.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

szazzy wrote: I keep reading Qatar thinks they have it wrapped up for 2022 - a little collusion here, a little bribery there, a little anti-US sentiment. I can't even believe they're seriously going for it. They will lose more money than any WC host to date with their plans, but they are certainly being ambitious.
I sure hope Qatar doesn't win.  First of all, unless every stadium is indoors, the temperature will be a big hindrance.  Second and perhaps most important, they will have serious issues with alcohol.  Major sponsors like Budweiser, etc., won't want it to be in Qatar.  Even if they make exemptions for the stadiums, there are no non-hotel bars or places to buy booze unless you jump through hoops and avoid the po po:

http://qatarvisitor.blogspot.com/2006/1 ... qatar.html

The only way Qatar wins is bribery.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I've got Qatar at the bottom of the list of who I think will have a shot at hosting. I think the U.S. has it in the bag. I broke down each of the bidders for the 2022 World Cup in my blog. Take a look and see if you agree with my analysis.

http://cjonline.com/interact/blog/david ... t_thursday
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Ez Street wrote: I've got Qatar at the bottom of the list of who I think will have a shot at hosting. I think the U.S. has it in the bag. I broke down each of the bidders for the 2022 World Cup in my blog. Take a look and see if you agree with my analysis.

Nice stuff!
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

Ez Street wrote: I've got Qatar at the bottom of the list of who I think will have a shot at hosting. I think the U.S. has it in the bag. I broke down each of the bidders for the 2022 World Cup in my blog. Take a look and see if you agree with my analysis.

The big unknown is how the 2018 vote ties into the 2022 vote. The whole scandal going on in FIFA right now, precipitated by Andrew Jennings, is that votes can be bought. On top of that the rumors are that a bloc of people voting for Spain/Portugal's 2018 bid have promised Qatar their support in exchange for their supporters' votes. Russia is also an unknown for 2018. I can also see some backlash from the rest of the world if 2018 and 2022 are awarded to England and the United States.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Damn it. Didn't get it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Bummer, Russia will host in 2018 and Qatar in 2022  :(
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak wrote: Bummer, Russia will host in 2018 and Qatar in 2022  :(
Makes sense to give it two open democracies like that. Nice pick FIFA.  &&&&
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Wow.  This does not look good for FIFA.  The two countries one would suspect to be most likely to be bribing FIFA both win.  I expect quite the backlash from the global soccer community on this one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well at least England was screwed too....misery loves company.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: Makes sense to give it two open democracies like that.
Didn't know that was a requirement, to have an open democracy.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

These decisions are ALWAYS about whose hands are being greased...financial/political deals...rub my back we'll rub yours, etc.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Didn't know that was a requirement, to have an open democracy.
I did not say it was.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its sunny outside.

"Well actually its more cloudy and windy than sunny"  -akp

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

At least I look at the weather report so I don't have to buy a sweater to keep warm during the day.

But then looking in one direction it can be sunny and the wind kick up but turn to the other direction it can be cloudy also with wind.  So I guess you haven't learn about KC weather after all these years.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol.