The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ You're just a downtown booster.  Name one place downtown that you don't frequent or don't like. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

ChandraNH wrote: Not commenting on douchery/douchebaggery, however when I last went to Cosentino's, I noticed people who were clearly from the pool area (swimsuits, wet clothing) standing outside the Cosentino's doors in the garage, on a smoke break before they went back up to the pool.  I'd rather not walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke on my way in or out of the grocery store, so perhaps the Jones Pool folks, can direct their guests to a more suitable smoke break spot.
Hold your breathe for the few seconds it takes you to walk through their smoke.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not it at all.....it extends past downtown to anywhere around the city....I am usually pretty open.  Not a fan of country bars or generic sports bars but if I know somebody that wants to go I will give it a shot.

Downtown boosterism really doesn't come into play here.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: I am starting to think I am a freak because I tend to like a place like jones AND a place like cigar box or grinders or quaff or manifesto....just depends on my mood.  I hate only going to one style of place all the time.
i am totally with you on this, except i carve out an exception to places like Jones, Blonde, Dolce, Shark Bar, etc.  i just have extremely little tolerance for places like that.  i'll go anywhere that is not aimed solely at the meat market/pickup crowd - grinders, harry's, hipster dives, old man dives, cigar box, the peanut, etc.  i want a place to hang out with friends and chat, not stand around in a loud bar packed like sardines with overtan dudes trying to pick up chicks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Some of the females in my pack love shark bar and now jones...I can see where those can turn someone off quickly...I don't put them in the same category as a dolce though...

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't know why I keep coming back to this forum because the douchebag and striped shirt comments are getting old.  It's ironic that forumers get pissed when someone from outside of KC has stereotypes of the city, but then those forumers bag on people for how they look and on places for who goes there.  Will I ever go to The Jones?  Unlikely.  But KC needs more places like The Jones that are unique and provide options...not everyone likes to strap on their Docker's shorts, some flip flops and head down to the neighborhood bar to have an orgasm over how many beers are on tap.

If you don't like The Jones (or places like it) because it looks like an episode of Growing Up Gotti, then don't go, but give the douchebag comments a break.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcjak wrote: I don't know why I keep coming back to this forum because the douchebag and striped shirt comments are getting old.  It's ironic that forumers get pissed when someone from outside of KC has stereotypes of the city, but then those forumers bag on people for how they look and on places for who goes there.  Will I ever go to The Jones?  Unlikely.  But KC needs more places like The Jones that are unique and provide options...not everyone likes to strap on their Docker's shorts, some flip flops and head down to the neighborhood bar to have an orgasm over how many beers are on tap.
Spot on.  And nice work on the docker's shorts commentary.  Though I'm probably guilty of being one of those guys from time to time, i still find the observation to be funny and true. 

KC needs diversity.  Jones will not be everybody.  But, the good thing about the trend DT is that almost any person from any walk of life can now find a bar/restuarant that fits their style.   
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I've run into a number of the Joneses in Cosentinos.  Although I'm not a candidate for the urban country club set, I can appreciate the fashionable swim wraps chillily perusing lunch options while perfect painted toes protude from Prada sandals.  

I noticed this afternoon that the signs are gone from Dolce'.  Anyone know the scoop?
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

KCPowercat wrote: Seem like normal people to me??? Pics in the ink this week confirm that...I guess I am missing the stereotyping.
See, the article I read talked about the employees from the House of Elan Spa with the $1,000 membership, relaxing there midday with bottle service in their cabana.  I'm not totally convinced that's reflective of the average KC resident's lifestyle, myself.  I could be wrong.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jess wrote: See, the article I read talked about the employees from the House of Elan Spa with the $1,000 membership, relaxing there midday with bottle service in their cabana.  I'm not totally convinced that's reflective of the average KC resident's lifestyle, myself.  I could be wrong.
Yeah I read that....people spend thousands on all kinds of things (cars, motorcycles, drugs, model airplanes, travel, video games, etc.).  Everybody has a hobby, so I'd say the average KC resident has all kinda of different hobbies, do we stereotype all the others too or just those who like to go out?

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Sometimes stereotyping is a terrible thing, that doesn't allow us to experience new opportunities through unjaded eyes.

Sometimes, however, people really are just douche bags. That place is like McFadden's and Mosaic made love, got pregnant, and decided they were going to have a water birth.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ColumbusParkian wrote: McFadden's and Mosaic made love, got pregnant, and decided they were going to have a water birth.
I think The Jones may have just found their new tagline.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Sometimes stereotyping is a terrible thing, that doesn't allow us to experience new opportunities through unjaded eyes.

Sometimes, however, people really are just douche bags. That place is like McFadden's and Mosaic made love, got pregnant, and decided they were going to have a water birth.
there's a difference between stereotyping and typifying. stereotype is an oversimplification. typical describes the normal, regular, common.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I was checking out at Cosentino's yesterday, and I noticed a couple of Abercrombies with wet hair and t-shirts walking in from the garage.  I thought "they must have been at the pool."  I look over to customer service, and there is a girl in a bikini and flip-flops.  No cover up, no towel.  She looked cold and self-conscious.  Like she had thought "I'll just run down and do this one thing" then realized only when she was in the store that she would be the only one in a bathing suit.  Very odd.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

heatherkay wrote: I was checking out at Cosentino's yesterday, and I noticed a couple of Abercrombies with wet hair and t-shirts walking in from the garage.  I thought "they must have been at the pool."  I look over to customer service, and there is a girl in a bikini and flip-flops.  No cover up, no towel.  She looked cold and self-conscious.  Like she had thought "I'll just run down and do this one thing" then realized only when she was in the store that she would be the only one in a bathing suit.  Very odd.
That's awesome.  One too many poolside martinis I imagine.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

coreyo wrote: there's a difference between stereotyping and typifying. stereotype is an oversimplification. typical describes the normal, regular, common.
Stereotyping is what happens when people think they know what is typical.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I've seen some pictures floating around.  Pictures of really hot women and "abercrombie" model guys living it up at a really swakny pool amidst skyscrapers.  Looked like a postcard from Vegas.

Alas, it was the Jones in Kansas City, Missouri.  The Jones aint for everybody, but it sure is a change of pace.  Not everbody will feel comfortable there, but sometimes, the best things in a City are the things that take you out of your comfort zone.   
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I stand corrected; obviously, $1,000 pool memberships fall well within the range of typical.  :-s
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jess wrote: I stand corrected; obviously, $1,000 pool memberships fall well within the range of typical.  :-s
Nobody saying it's typical...but people blow tons of money on what others find stupid is what I'm saying.  OK, maybe the people aren't like you that hang out here...so now those people are stupid, d-bags, sluts, etc? 

I don't hang out with bikers (for example)....I still don't find the need to call people, of which I've experienced many with horrible attitudes,  with $20k H-D, $1k tats, $$$ in bike "gear" names.....so what encourages people on this site 'talk down' to people they don't hang with?

it's a new option in entertainment....some don't like it...cool....some do.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Nobody saying it's typical...but people blow tons of money on what others find stupid is what I'm saying.  OK, maybe the people aren't like you that hang out here...so now those people are stupid, d-bags, sluts, etc? 

I don't hang out with bikers (for example)....I still don't find the need to call people, of which I've experienced many with horrible attitudes,  with $20k H-D, $1k tats, $$$ in bike "gear" names.....so what encourages people on this site 'talk down' to people they don't hang with?

it's a new option in entertainment....some don't like it...cool....some do.
nicely put.